‘21 Denali 3rd brake light camera with topper

I have a Denali with the rear view mirror camera and am struggling with deciding between a topper or a tonneau cover. My other issue is on my last truck with a topper, the side view mirror wouldn’t often dim down because the tinted glass in the topper diffused enough light. Has anyone put a topper on and regretted it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a topper on my 2016 F-150 and was annoyed by the fact I could not turn on the lamp in the back and illuminate the bed.

Oddly, my gas mileage decreased by 2 mpg when I had the topper on. Others told me it'd help with aerodynamics but it didn't.

I am not claustrophobic and camp a lot. The Cheyenne bed is much deeper than Ford's and I am looking at tonneau covers. Don't think I'd go back to toppers.

• Like 1

I had a topper on my 2016 F-150 and was annoyed by the fact I could not turn on the lamp in the back and illuminate the bed.

Oddly, my gas mileage decreased by 2 mpg when I had the topper on. Others told me it'd help with aerodynamics but it didn't.

I am not claustrophobic and camp a lot. The Cheyenne bed is much deeper than Ford's and I am looking at tonneau covers. Don't think I'd go back to toppers.

That is odd your mileage went down. I don’t need it for camping, just to keep stuff secure and dryish.

8 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

Id like a topper on mine for road trips to keep everything out of sight.. including my mtn bikes.

But I have the bed camera and rear view so the topper would be a hassle

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

If you’re handy you can take the camera out of your existing 3rd break light and install it into your camper break light. All you will need is a longer video cable from the SUV’s to connect it to your Mirror. 

23 hours ago, Mercracing said:

I have a Denali with the rear view mirror camera and am struggling with deciding between a topper or a tonneau cover. My other issue is on my last truck with a topper, the side view mirror wouldn’t often dim down because the tinted glass in the topper diffused enough light. Has anyone put a topper on and regretted it?

On my 2018 GMC the topper was great with the keyless entry controlling the window lock. When I ordered my 2021 topper everything was supposed to be the same plus a upgrade of having the window on a prop switch to control the light inside.   Everything was going to be plug and play. Asked multiple times if there would be problems and was assured no. My truck is a SLT premium plus so the Denali falls in the same line with the advanced trailing package. When I went to get it installed the harness didn’t work. So no light, keyless, or prop switch. Plus they couldn’t do the third brake light without splicing into the wiring under the dash somewhere. Basically said call Leer and haven’t heard a thing in two weeks. If you want the camera to work your only option would be to go with the tonneau cover. You would be looking at a pretty good custom option to keep the camera with a topper. On the mirror side my outside mirror dims but not sure on if it’s correct because my front windows are tinted. 

• 3 months later...

Gen5diy has an extension cable to go from the drivers side connector above the left rear seat to a external camera in your topper. The cable is 21ft long. plug and play. I bought a taillight assembly on ebay with the factory camera. I made a bracket to mount the camera under the window frame inside the topper. Works awesome. Link to the cable. It is built for the camaro.

https://www.gen5diy.com/products/gen6-camaro-live-view-mirror-camera-cable-spoiler-camera?_pos=2&_sid=c9b13ef14&_ss=r

bracket.jpg

mirror.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, mykie71 said:

Gen5diy has an extension cable to go from the drivers side connector above the left rear seat to a external camera in your topper. The cable is 21ft long. plug and play. I bought a taillight assembly on ebay with the factory camera. I made a bracket to mount the camera under the window frame inside the topper. Works awesome. Link to the cable. It is built for the camaro.

https://www.gen5diy.com/products/gen6-camaro-live-view-mirror-camera-cable-spoiler-camera?_pos=2&_sid=c9b13ef14&_ss=r

bracket.jpg

mirror.jpg

There is also a video to show how to lower the headliner on the gen5diy website. took me an hour to do everything. The cable was a perfect length. If you want longer ask them and they will make it. 

truck.jpg

• 4 months later...