Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Scott Killman said:


You will have drone unless you disable DFM. Until I received my Pulsar LT instead of putting it in drive, I used manual and kept it on L9 and never had any drone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drone would be tolerable if it was one note.  Never realized how active the DFM is.  Just non-stop note changes from constant configuration changes.  So far gotta say I'm not loving it, and Pulsar's are backordered for the foreseeable future.  I'll give it the week to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kept resonators and flapper, just muffler delete.  Apparently YouTube videos don't get great audio cause it is WAY louder than expected inside the cab!

Yeah I was surprised at how loud it was too. It should get a little quieter with time. Either that or I’m just used to it now. It doesn’t bother me or anyone else in my truck unless I punch it. Then it’s loud.

It was a cheap fix until I figure out which exhaust system I want to go with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The drone would be tolerable if it was one note.  Never realized how active the DFM is.  Just non-stop note changes from constant configuration changes.  So far gotta say I'm not loving it, and Pulsar's are backordered for the foreseeable future.  I'll give it the week to see. 

Yeah the drone with DFM is bad. Annoying as hell. I just kept it in manual and no higher gear than 9th. Doing that it never droned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The drone would be tolerable if it was one note.  Never realized how active the DFM is.  Just non-stop note changes from constant configuration changes.  So far gotta say I'm not loving it, and Pulsar's are backordered for the foreseeable future.  I'll give it the week to see. 

Yeah the drone with DFM is bad. Annoying as hell. I just kept it in manual and no higher gear than 9th. Doing that it never droned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scott Killman said:


Yeah the drone with DFM is bad. Annoying as hell. I just kept it in manual and no higher gear than 9th. Doing that it never droned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manual thing definitely helped, but still just not for me. Way louder than what I was hoping for, at least on the highway. I just order a Borla Pro XS muffler (40359) and I'll have it installed hopefully next week. Exhaust shop is gonna love me by the time its all said and done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The manual thing definitely helped, but still just not for me. Way louder than what I was hoping for, at least on the highway. I just order a Borla Pro XS muffler (40359) and I'll have it installed hopefully next week. Exhaust shop is gonna love me by the time its all said and done!

Yeah it was definitely louder than I anticipated but I swear it seems quieter now. It’s been several weeks. Maybe I’m just used to it now.

I’ve been thinking about getting my Borla XR1 installed without the resonators. Had one on my 2005 5.3 and it sounded great. Let me know how you like that once you get it installed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iwannaseeatnight said:

The manual thing definitely helped, but still just not for me. Way louder than what I was hoping for, at least on the highway. I just order a Borla Pro XS muffler (40359) and I'll have it installed hopefully next week. Exhaust shop is gonna love me by the time its all said and done!

By that time you could have bought a Catback system with all the different things you have tried. My Corsa on my 2019 standard box was $1180, my Gibson on my 2018 short box which is also a [email protected]$$ system was $480. Never droned with AFM or when I tuned it. Give that a try. Half the price and with what you have done already along with shop costs. I bet you’re over $480. 
one of my shops here in Iowa wanted $350 for a muffler delete. Thought that was ridiculous. Paid $130 extra and got all new system without any welds and risk of rusting later down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

By that time you could have bought a Catback system with all the different things you have tried. My Corsa on my 2019 standard box was $1180, my Gibson on my 2018 short box which is also a [email protected]$$ system was $480. Never droned with AFM or when I tuned it. Give that a try. Half the price and with what you have done already along with shop costs. I bet you’re over $480. 
one of my shops here in Iowa wanted $350 for a muffler delete. Thought that was ridiculous. Paid $130 extra and got all new system without any welds and risk of rusting later down the road. 

Your shops are expensive!! I paid $55 for the muffler delete, just a straight piece of 3.5" welded in (they found a 4' piece in the back). Pro XS is only $97 + another $55 to install, so only be at $217 total. If that doesn't suit me I'm just going back to stock (yeah, another $55).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, iwannaseeatnight said:

Your shops are expensive!! I paid $55 for the muffler delete, just a straight piece of 3.5" welded in (they found a 4' piece in the back). Pro XS is only $97 + another $55 to install, so only be at $217 total. If that doesn't suit me I'm just going back to stock (yeah, another $55).

Ya they are expensive!!  Well hopefully this suits you. I know your not looking for performance gains but not having the flappers is a huge improvement. Those things restrict the flow of air a ton. My father is a mechanic at a little shop in a small town and he helped me put my Corsa system in and we cut off the flappers to get the exhaust off. He couldn’t believe how much they restrict air flow. In my opinion it should be the first mod for these trucks!  Night and day difference. Good luck again, and hopefully that Borla works out for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Ya they are expensive!!  Well hopefully this suits you. I know your not looking for performance gains but not having the flappers is a huge improvement. Those things restrict the flow of air a ton. My father is a mechanic at a little shop in a small town and he helped me put my Corsa system in and we cut off the flappers to get the exhaust off. He couldn’t believe how much they restrict air flow. In my opinion it should be the first mod for these trucks!  Night and day difference. Good luck again, and hopefully that Borla works out for you. 

What they do to these trucks is awful. Restricting airflow in and out, the dfm, and everyone's favorite... auto stop/start. Spend all that $ on a truck just to spend even more to undo the nonsense. Love to cut out the flapper, just worried about added drone. There is another exhaust thread on here that had a bulletin on bolting it open. May try that as its easily undone.

On my '15 I had cai, borla cat back, and afm disabled and just that made it so much more responsive. Over extended a bit on the specs on this one so don't have as much cash to play with 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.