2020 Silverado Snow build up in wheel wells

I've noticed that on this 2020 RST All Star Edition Silverado, that the snow builds up rather quickly in the wheel wells. To a point the when you turn the wheel it sounds like it's 

going to bend the lower fender and damage them. With my old truck 2010 Sierra I didn't have this problem.

Anyone else notice this on the newer style? Any fixes for this???? Other then knocking the build up off every time I park the truck.

Thanks in advance

Bill

I think it's a road/weather condition thing. 

Have had it happen on many vehicles -- but none of them did it 'all' the time.

North shore of Lake Erie, we get lots of variation in road conditions and weather conditions every year. 

This is my first winter with a T1.  Now that it's been mentioned, I don't think it's happened with it yet.  In fairness, this winter I'm not driving as much as usual. 

Running boards and mudflaps on them all.

It does it even in the front of the wheels on the front. The clearance between the tire and build up about 3/4 of an inch. I noticed even in the rear wells the build  up is there, but not quite as bad. 

It seams like the wheel wells are the cause, because the wells are not a smooth plastic but a felt like material. I did add the rear wheel well liners. 

Yeah, I found both the front and rear wheel-well snow build-up to become rather problematic during the TX snow storm this past week. The snow/ice would then make contact with the tires even after a relatively short drive. Keeping in mind these aren't plowed roads or anything. I had to keep removing excess snow build-up to prevent it from icing up and then being even more stubborn to remove.

Happened on mine too

i just kicked at it a bit and some of it fell off

i did notice a lot of noise coming from the front when turning in 4 hi only.  Way more than usual but the ice and snow was caked on good

Based on EXTENSIVE (lifetime) experience with snow / ice, there is not a single vehicle of any make / model that doesn't have buildup like this.  My 2012 Sierra had it, our Toyota RAV4 has it, and every Tesla I saw was exactly the same thing.  In Canada it's called Winter and under the right conditions there's not a darn thing you can do about it.  Temps down to -34 here last week and my wheel wells were plugged with solid packed snow every day and so was everyone's.  The parking lots get littered with big chunks that people kick off when they are stopped and I'm sure I saw some that weighed 15 pounds off of bigger trucks.  They even hang below the mudflaps and build up behind that on the running boards.  My 2012 would sometimes have so much buildup (no mud flaps) that opening the door was a problem with a dirty snow cone reaching the lower corner of the door.

I don't think we can blame GM for any of this is my point. Blame Al Gore for being wrong about snow not existing after 2010.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 7:11 PM, ullose272 said:

Ya what i was thinking too, i think i might trim the lip off

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother doing that, it's going to make zero difference.  Snow will stick to Teflon in the right conditions.  Here's a picture of a parking lot from this morning with big chunks of dirty snow that accumulated and fell off of random vehicles.  I guarantee that some of them had no mud flaps / guards and it still clung to their wheel wells.  Apparently the terms "car boogers" and "fenderbergs" are names that people have given these.

20210223_183815.jpg

Edited by SRNicholson