In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I put the borla cat back exhaust that gm offers on my 5.3 elevation, part number 19419439, and although the quad tips look cool, I think it sounds terrible.  It sounds like I went down there and poked a bunch of holes in the stock muffler.  I am not new to after market exhaust, but this is my first (and last) Borla setup and it is by far the worst sounding exhaust that I have heard.  If thinking about after market exhaust, I wouldn’t waste my money on this expensive piece of garbage.

• Sad 1

You say you put it on?  Is it all properly aligned and sealed correctly with clamps?  Or did you weld it in?  
The forum is filled with guys who have this exhaust and love it! I have the Corsa Sport Catback exhaust which is similar to the S-type by Borla, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 
Have you tried taking it to exhaust shop or maybe dealership to see what Is wrong with it.  Especially if you bought it as a package from GM. It’s under warranty. 

I put the borla cat back exhaust that gm offers on my 5.3 elevation, part number 19419439, and although the quad tips look cool, I think it sounds terrible.  It sounds like I went down there and poked a bunch of holes in the stock muffler.  I am not new to after market exhaust, but this is my first (and last) Borla setup and it is by far the worst sounding exhaust that I have heard.  If thinking about after market exhaust, I wouldn’t waste my money on this expensive piece of garbage.

It’s probably the cylinder deactivation process you’re hearing. Some exhaust systems try to mask that. It’s probably like putting lipstick on a pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

You say you put it on?  Is it all properly aligned and sealed correctly with clamps?  Or did you weld it in?  
The forum is filled with guys who have this exhaust and love it! I have the Corsa Sport Catback exhaust which is similar to the S-type by Borla, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 
Have you tried taking it to exhaust shop or maybe dealership to see what Is wrong with it.  Especially if you bought it as a package from GM. It’s under warranty. 

The dealership installed it.  They used the clamps that came with the system.  I’m confident that they installed it correctly, but maybe I will bring it back to them and ask them to do a once over on it.  Corsa was a good choice.

1E4AE1FE-E2E1-4E64-92E0-E2108FEAA424.png

2 hours ago, Matt Grz said:

The dealership installed it.  They used the clamps that came with the system.  I’m confident that they installed it correctly, but maybe I will bring it back to them and ask them to do a once over on it.  Corsa was a good choice.

1E4AE1FE-E2E1-4E64-92E0-E2108FEAA424.png

Yes for sure bring it back to them! That is a lot of money for YOU not liking it. And YES, I love my Corsa. I got it on sale through RealTrucks with a 10% coupon code for $1180 after tax. I also got the S&B CAI for $320. In all after taxes I have right about $1600.  Dealership when I bought it wanted like $2600 to install GMPP. I said no I’ll wait. 
Hopefully they get yours corrected for you. 

You can run the trans in L7 (if 8 speed) or L9 (if 10 speed). DFM won’t run and you can at least see if that’s indeed the issue. FYI, it never deactivates cylinders at idle no matter what, so what you hear on startup, in park, at a stoplight, etc...that’s all 8.

I have the GMPP exhaust that retains the stock tips but I think is otherwise the same as the Borla you have. Can’t say I share the same opinion about it, sounds great to me. Even with DFM active, it just has a slight lope to it but not the obnoxious helicopter sound the old AFM motors put out. 

Interesting ? so I would just push the - sign on the shifter every time before I start driving it?  Will that have an effect on anything long term if I always drive around like that?  Thank you for the info.

No, put your shift indicator into M, not D. Then press the + on the shifter to the desire gear, 7 (eight speed) or 9 (ten speed) The transmission will shift as normal BUT it will not go into the final gear(8 or 10). Doing this keeps the DFM from activating. It will not harm anything. I did this until I got my Range box DFM deactivator.

Edited by Jac365
ADD

Awesome thank you for the info!  I googled this range box DFM deactivator and that looks pretty sweet (disables dfm and auto start stop). I’m thinking maybe I will go this route too.  How do you like yours?

I love it. Had it in my 2012 Sierra with AFM. I sent it to Range and they reprogrammed it for use in the 2019 Sierra with DFM. I will say that it is not 100% effective on the auto stop feature. More like 99%. If the auto stop activates I just hit the dash button. I have a Borla S type cat back and prefer the tone when it stays on all 8 cylinders.For long highway trips I will unplug the range for the added MPG's

Awesome, I appreciate the info.   I don’t like the way the gm borla sounds at all when the DFM kicks in, but it sounds good during hard throttle shots and cold starts.  This might be the solution to that.  I’m going to get one of these too.  Thank you again!

If you’re not liking your Borla exhaust just from the DFM sounds it’s creating, there really are few other exhausts that would be any different. The engine going down to as many as 2 cylinders will affect ANY exhaust note. 

But, as others have said... the easiest solution is to order the Range device, plug it in, and go. 

I have the GMPE, too, and I don’t really notice the sound when the DFM is running. It’s there, but I don’t think it sounds all that terrible. And it usually lasts only a short time. But that is just my $0.02. 

I think it sounds like you put a bunch of wasps in a coffee can and shook them up real good....  I’m going to look into that range device, but I’m not really liking that you have to remember to unplug it if you are going to let your car sit for a few days or it can drain your battery.  Too bad these GM trucks don’t have something like the fords forscan where you can go in and disable options permanently without leaving something plugged in.