What type of differential?

G80 for 1970s and 1980s muscle cars is a limited slip.  The G80 in our trucks since the 1980s is a combination of a locker and limited slip, read the shop manual description and it says just that.  

Last time I checked, there is no limited slip or locker for the front 8.25" differential.  99.9% of the time it is simply not needed when the right tires are used anyway.

20 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Last time I checked, there is no limited slip or locker for the front 8.25" differential.  99.9% of the time it is simply not needed when the right tires are used anyway.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, oh well.

You're right, 4wd with the G80 is pretty capable but I regularly encounter some pretty slick ice in Anchorage here. I'm running Wildpeak AT3W (3 peak snowflake rated) tires and I regularly spin in 4wd getting going at intersections. The problem is that cars sit at the intersection and melt the packed snow and it turns into glare ice. It is what it is though

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, swathdiver said:

G80 for 1970s and 1980s muscle cars is a limited slip.  The G80 in our trucks since the 1980s is a combination of a locker and limited slip, read the shop manual description and it says just that.  

Agree 100% but for some reason this Salsa boy thinks its called a locker and locker only.  Call it any other thing and for some reason you dont know ******.  Most guys just refer to them as a posi unit and those with experience know what one is referring to. 33 yrs with GM and many axle repairs done front and rear.  I thought he was done harassing me however this morning I was pulling a cylinder head and he PM ed me talking more crap asking if I asked the other techs in the shop what its called. Funny thing about that was I showed the other techs his comments and some called him a idiot and others called him a typical internet customer. He has yet to give his real name which is typical on trolls like that.  I am attaching a screenshot from the GM service manual which describes what you said about the limited slip feature. Its dick heads like him why experienced gm techs dont like to help people out on these forums.  I showed him he was #1 with his name written on my glove when I got the cylinder head off.  Less than 2 hours after that I sent him another pic with his name again and the job was competed.  Told him I would be happy to send him some pics next time I had a differential apart. He declined the pics for that because he has seen illustrations on the internet. 

Screenshot_20210304-173803_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

A locker when engaged permits ZERO difference in wheel speed just like a spool or welded spiders. ANYTHING that allows ANY degree of difference between the two is a limited slip. Clutches do not have the ability to completely LOCK the axles together. 

An ARB locker, electric locker, a Detroit Locker, a spool, mini spool, lunch box locker, welded spiders or a Gleason Torsen worm and worm wheel are lockers. Clutched units and Truetrac helical gear are not. 

Basically if both wheels turn and the same speed no matter what it's a locker. Anything else is limited slip. 

40 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

Just keep digging your grave Salsa boy.  Why dont you contact GM and tell them they have it all wrong.  Stupid ****

The light bias limited slip function is a by-product of the design.  There is a small amount of pressure on the clutch disks to prevent them from rattling around.  This is able to transmit a couple of ft-lbs to the other wheel.  Truly earth-shattering amounts of torque.  But of course, GM and Eaton are quick to tell you it's not a bug; it's a feature.  In reality, it's negligible until it locks up.

Something they never told the customer back in the day of clutch pack Posi was that clutches only last about 40K between needed new clutch packs. I would expect the G80 to last a bit longer as it is prevented from activation to 125 wheel RPM delta. 

46 minutes ago, Salsa De Piña said:

The light bias limited slip function is a by-product of the design.  There is a small amount of pressure on the clutch disks to prevent them from rattling around.  This is able to transmit a couple of ft-lbs to the other wheel.  Truly earth-shattering amounts of torque.  But of course, GM and Eaton are quick to tell you it's not a bug; it's a feature.  In reality, it's negligible until it locks up.

Your a by-product of Canada that needs to be recalled.  So I guess we can call it a by-locker and you keep your ****** comments to yourself.

¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨ Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems.

15 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

G80 is kind of a bad example of both, but it does both, limited slip first, then when things speed up it locks up. Dare I say you're both right?

Exactly, call it what you want. I didnt care until some jackass from canada tries to talk ****** about me.