Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

kodiakdenali

May I ask a favor of a High Country Silverado owner?

Recommended Posts

Would you mind posting a picture of the 4 upper gauges on the top level instrument cluster? And perhaps a close up of one of them?

Would it be ok if I used it in a youtube video? let me know if you'd like to be credited.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

Would you mind posting a picture of the 4 upper gauges on the top level instrument cluster? And perhaps a close up of one of them?

Would it be ok if I used it in a youtube video? let me know if you'd like to be credited.

thanks!

Here ya go!

 

73019E3B-73EF-461E-8033-87979AE88067.jpeg

91E84018-01D1-47B1-A2CC-F35CF7EE1AE3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With personal worst record fuel economy. ?613B0931-288E-4210-8EF6-EDC36D4E4620.thumb.jpeg.78f7b2ca13d17f92695785e4f0779632.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the gentlemen beat me too it!?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!

Man, i dont regret buying the Denali, but i like the Silverado cluster a lot better. Those gauges are so much easier to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to hijack this thread, now that it has been fulfilled. 

 

I see 2 different displays. Are the red gauge needles real or digital? Both show 160°. Is that what they are and just a coincidence? Or is that what it displays until it reaches 160?

 

The Denali has a blue light that produces a arc. When cold, the temp gauge does not have any blue showing until 160 is reached.

 

Thanks for the info.

20210118_174550.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Going to hijack this thread, now that it has been fulfilled. 

 

I see 2 different displays. Are the red gauge needles real or digital? Both show 160°. Is that what they are and just a coincidence? Or is that what it displays until it reaches 160?

 

The Denali has a blue light that produces a arc. When cold, the temp gauge does not have any blue showing until 160 is reached.

 

Thanks for the info.

20210118_174550.jpg

I suspect so, its designed to simulate a real analog gauge, in which case if the reading is off the scale on the low side the needle usually goes to the lowest setting available. same for if the value is off to the high side.

I wanted the images because I was going to include a short rant in a video about how I don't like the Sierra Denali gauges, I find them so hard to read compared to the Silverado ones they are nearly useless. terrible design in my opinion. another pet peeve of mine with gauge design is how so many oems use 1/4 sweep analogs on the smaller gauges, the Silverado actually has full sweep gauges which is rather rare! They look so much better than the Sierra ones, and they're actually easier to read on top of that. Major fail GMC.

my video is about a custom gauge pod I built, in which I'm replicating some of the gauges provided by the factory, I find them so near to useless that I wanted to add some real analogs to my dash, full sweep, actual physical needles etc. so much better than what's provided by the factory. And actually accurate on top of that! the stock temp gauge in particular isn't even remotely accurate...oh well. gave me a project!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer the Denali style Gauges over the High Country style. To me, seeing the blue band vs red needles is easier and more desirable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t find either option to be as easy to read as the good old fashioned analog ones. But the analog clusters look too cheap.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

Thank you!

Man, i dont regret buying the Denali, but i like the Silverado cluster a lot better. Those gauges are so much easier to read.

Wonder if WAM could edit this 

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/contact-us/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I don’t find either option to be as easy to read as the good old fashioned analog ones. But the analog clusters look too cheap.

Agree, nothing beats an analog gauge. I think its so unfortunate that everything is moving digital. watching numbers rapidly change just isn't the something as watching an analog needle wrap around a speedometer.

I don't see how an analog cluster looks cheap, or old fashioned as long as its designed well. but it does seem to be the average buyer's perception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

I don't see how an analog cluster looks cheap, or old fashioned as long as its designed well. but it does seem to be the average buyer's perception.

I don’t think analog gauges in general look cheap, just the T1’s. Bland as can be, major downgrade in style from the K2 trucks.

 

A0C67BD4-56EF-462F-A12C-B3C9DC35ED6D.thumb.jpeg.b91bf326f0b1768dff05b7cc44499e5d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test drove an 18 Denali before deciding to buy a new one. I definitely like the 2020 overall better, but the 2018's instrument cluster also was much nicer than what the new trucks have. I also really dislike the move to 20mph increments on the speedometer instead of 10mph. that really bugs the crap out of me. I've already asked 2 companies that do replacement gauge faces if they could fix it for me. one said they couldn't, the other never responded. I'm about to use my vinyl machine to add the missing numbers! But another thing with modern clusters that I also don't care for, the backlights are not on at all times, not just when the headlights are on, so non-lit numbers would look awkward. might still be worth it though. I suspect the backlight thing is because most modern clusters feature and LCD that's at least 50% of the cluster area, and an LCD requires a backlight at all times or you can't see it, so they likely turn on all the backlights just to make it look uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the heads up display I hardly even look at the speedometer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

With the heads up display I hardly even look at the speedometer.

Same for me. Love the HUD.

 

The only gauges that I really liked were on the Porsche and Cadillac V series that I had.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.