In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Banging may not have been the correct word. The other day I traded my 2014 Sierra in for a 2019 Chevy Z71 RST. I am not sure if these trucks also came with the factory lift, but it is higher than stock. Anyhow, as the title states, whenever I hit a large bump or pot hole there is a big bang from the back end. It sounds as though the bed is hitting the frame. Of course it didn't do it on the test drive. What can be causing this? would it be the Ranchos?

Edited by Donald Plaisance
have it make more sense
22 hours ago, Donald Plaisance said:

Banging may not have been the correct word. The other day I traded my 2014 Sierra in for a 2019 Chevy Z71 RST. I am not sure if these trucks also came with the factory lift, but it is higher than stock. Anyhow, as the title states, whenever I hit a large bump or pot hole there is a big bang from the back end. It sounds as though the bed is hitting the frame. Of course it didn't do it on the test drive. What can be causing this? would it be the Ranchos?

That shocks in these trucks (all trims) have terrible rebound on both the front and rear. 

Changing over to Bilstein or Fox, etc will help. Sucks to spend money to fix this but that's the way it is with GM using crap shocks. 

One thing you will notice too is how "bouncy" the truck is when you go over a decent bump at 70 on the interstate or 55 on the highway. When you go over a bridge where it connects to the actual road is a good example. 

Mine is bouncy like crazy as well.  I posted here in the past and almost ordered some bilstiens.  After a host of other issues I just decided to leave it as is and dump it for a Toyota when the warranty is up.  I have owned at least one toyota product and sometimes two at a time since 2003.  This 19 Sierra has been in the shop more than all of my Toyotas combined.  Done with it.

25 minutes ago, Vigilante375 said:

That shocks in these trucks (all trims) have terrible rebound on both the front and rear. 

Changing over to Bilstein or Fox, etc will help. Sucks to spend money to fix this but that's the way it is with GM using crap shocks. 

One thing you will notice too is how "bouncy" the truck is when you go over a decent bump at 70 on the interstate or 55 on the highway. When you go over a bridge where it connects to the actual road is a good example. 

Thanks for the reply. I think I will get the Bilsteins. I just need figure out how much lift is actually on it.

2 hours ago, Donald Plaisance said:

Thanks for the reply. I think I will get the Bilsteins. I just need figure out how much lift is actually on it.

Post some pictures, you will get some educated guesses from members here on the site.

After you change over to the Bilsteins you will feel as if you bought a new (BETTER) truck.

3 hours ago, Donald Plaisance said:

There's a long thread on the forum talking about Bilsteins. Give it a look and see what others used or have to say. I think the title is Bilsteins 5100 or something like that. 

i have the same issue. i am changing over to the gabriel or monroe air shocks or the rancho shocks the are adjustable with 9 settings   

@Donald Plaisance

Can you post a picture of your truck?

The T1 generation appears higher than K2 but I'd like to see what "it sits higher than factory" looks like. From what I have seen z71 and standard sit pretty much even.

There is a 2 inch lift available that is a GM accessory standard on TB.

I have a 2020 RST Z71, drove like ****** over bumps the first 2k miles, settled down currently at 9.1k miles.

Still a little weird over huge bumps but I just try to avoid them or slow down to keep wear down, regardless of being in a truck I don't feel like repairing the truck due to the NJ DOT's and local PW blatant lack of maintenance of roadways. But thats a topic of conversation for another time.

When it comes time for shocks I get bilstein or fox but at least for the duration of the 36m/36k warranty they will be staying they have settled down since purchasing the vehicle for me.

15 hours ago, Bigfoot98 said:

@Donald Plaisance

Can you post a picture of your truck?

The T1 generation appears higher than K2 but I'd like to see what "it sits higher than factory" looks like. From what I have seen z71 and standard sit pretty much even.

There is a 2 inch lift available that is a GM accessory standard on TB.

I have a 2020 RST Z71, drove like ****** over bumps the first 2k miles, settled down currently at 9.1k miles.

Still a little weird over huge bumps but I just try to avoid them or slow down to keep wear down, regardless of being in a truck I don't feel like repairing the truck due to the NJ DOT's and local PW blatant lack of maintenance of roadways. But thats a topic of conversation for another time.

When it comes time for shocks I get bilstein or fox but at least for the duration of the 36m/36k warranty they will be staying they have settled down since purchasing the vehicle for me.

20210305_103306.jpg

2 minutes ago, Donald Plaisance said:

Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Looks like at least a 2 inch level/lift combined based on the angle of the picture. May be just a lift tho.

I will post pictures of my stock 2020 Z71 RST with the 20 inch wheels for comparison. On my truck the body sits even with the center caps on the front and very close on the rear. The truck will have a small clunk on a massive bump at highway speed but that is pretty normal for that specific bump in every vehicle I have ever been in, slowing down gets rid of it.

I think in your case it may be a combo of bad shocks or something not correct with the lift kit f it is enough to have a cause for concern.

The bounce would leave me to suspect the shocks or springs but the bang or clunk in the rear would leave me suspecting something to do with the lift kit and its interaction with said components.

Either way I would find a shop that specializes in lifts or a decent mechanic if the warranty is expired. 

20210305_115014.thumb.jpg.3da3fde9f3c5199c101efe7cdc934c8a.jpg

The factory 2" lift is on  both Trailboss trucks (custom TB and LT TB) and on the Sierra AT4.

GM also offers a 2" lift accessory kit which could have been added.

Now that I sit and think about it, about 20 years ago, damn I'm getting old, I out a 2" lift on my then S-10. The rear gained it's additional height by way of a shorter, more curved leaf spring. Doing this made the ride so much rougher.  That is what this is reminding me of.