2021 AT4 Carbon pro 6.2L

I'm looking to buy the truck in the title. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons to this truck? Sold my 2018 gmc z71 SLT last year and I'm itching for a new truck. Should I buy this truck or wait for the 2022 with the redesigned interior?

IMO...wait. There’s nothing “wrong” with the current interior but it’s really boring and sort of dated looking compared to the competition. Last thing you want to do is have regret when the new one is revealed in just a few months from now, and you just bought the old one.

I have a 2020 at4 carbon pro with the 6.2.  love the truck.  Just took a trip to Oklahoma my best 400 mile average is about 20 most tanks are 18 to 19 on the highway.  It is hard to find bed accessories that will work with the carbon bed but it is not impossible.  The ride is about as perfect as I've ever had in a GM pickup.   Any specific questions?

27 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

I have a 2020 at4 carbon pro with the 6.2.  love the truck.  Just took a trip to Oklahoma my best 400 mile average is about 20 most tanks are 18 to 19 on the highway.  It is hard to find bed accessories that will work with the carbon bed but it is not impossible.  The ride is about as perfect as I've ever had in a GM pickup.   Any specific questions?

I agree. I have a 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 carbon pro 6.2L.  Got rid of my 2018 Denali 5.3. Smartest decision. If you want high tech, self driving, have to pay someone to fix after 5 years, wait for a 2022. Otherwise, get one now at a discount and you won't have to wait out the first year jitters of all redesigned models. And if something fails after 5 or 10 years, you'll still be able to work on it yourself. 

Edited by Philbert

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

IMO...wait. There’s nothing “wrong” with the current interior but it’s really boring and sort of dated looking compared to the competition. Last thing you want to do is have regret when the new one is revealed in just a few months from now, and you just bought the old one.

Yea that is true but im always skeptical about new tech 

56 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

Yes how's the ride quality? Any bugs or annoyances you have encountered? Has anything ever failed? 

48 minutes ago, Philbert said:

I agree. I have a 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 carbon pro 6.2L.  Got rid of my 2018 Denali 5.3. Smartest decision. If you want high tech, self driving, have to pay someone to fix after 5 years, wait for a 2022. Otherwise, get one now at a discount and you won't have to wait out the first year jitters of all redesigned models. And if something fails after 5 or 10 years, you'll still be able to work on it yourself. 

Has there been any leaks on what options will be available on the 2022? 

Moot point. The 19-21 trucks aren’t exactly a model of simplicity. Even compared to a 2018 they are significantly more complex and much less DIY friendly. They have brake by wire and literally electronic everything. Also see the thread about how you don’t even get a transmission dipstick anymore. ? 

Another 2022 advantage...maybe they will finally solve the rear window leak...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MANDINGO said:

Has there been any leaks on what options will be available on the 2022? 

Not really a leak, however self driving even while pulling a trailer will supposedly be available late 2022. Unsure of anything additional besides the fully digital dash. 

6 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Moot point. The 19-21 trucks aren’t exactly a model of simplicity. Even compared to a 2018 they are significantly more complex and much less DIY friendly. They have brake by wire and literally electronic everything. Also see the thread about how you don’t even get a transmission dipstick anymore. ? 

Another 2022 advantage...maybe they will finally solve the rear window leak...

I worked in a tranny shop in my previous life, dipsticks have been gone for a while. Prevents those who don't know how to properly check from overfilling and damaging the seals and clutches.  What rear window leak, I have a 2021 and have no window leaks. 

3 minutes ago, Philbert said:

I worked in a tranny shop in my previous life, dipsticks have been gone for a while. Prevents those who don't know how to properly check from overfilling and damaging the seals and clutches.  What rear window leak, I have a 2021 and have no window leaks. 

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216705-rear-window-leak/page/200/#comments

Give it time. There’s a few 2021 leakers on that page alone.

22 minutes ago, Philbert said:

I'm sure there are a few, and if it starts leaking, it will need to fixed by the dealer.  No problem

Not gonna get into how they will fix it but it’s not a fix. Just saying it might be wise for the OP to wait and see rather than go through the same BS myself and many others went through. 204 page thread now spanning 3 model years with an unresolved problem. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, MANDINGO said:

Yes how's the ride quality? Any bugs or annoyances you have encountered? Has anything ever failed? 

I had a 2019 AT4 Carbon Pro 6.2 - 10,000 miles - not a single issue, except the kicker tailgate speaker blue tooth went out - it was replaced under warranty (entire speaker set up).  Half of the miles were towing a 24' enclosed car trailer. 

I have a 2020 AT4 Carbon Pro 6.2 - 7,000 miles so far, not a single issue, 90% of the miles towing.  I switched as I tow a lot with the truck (have other daily driver) and I wanted tow mirrors - I can see so much better. 

Ride with stock Rancho shocks is good on road, but they are soft - they are 5-10 mph off road shocks, they quickly bottom out.  Shock upgrade is a nice thing - you can go from Bilstein 5100 ($500 +/-), Fox 2.0 ($1,200 +/-) to full BDS lift with Fox 2.5 adj fronts and Fox 2.0 in back ($5K) to upgrade - with each of those choices you get better on and off road performance - so you just have to decide what is right for you.  If you are on the road 90% of the time the stock Rancho's are fine - that is what I did with 2019 (Ready Lift level and same shocks).  On the 2020 I went full BDS lift with Fox shocks - night/day difference on and off road plus lots of adjustability up front.  It is a firmer ride, but so much more compliant and off road it is Raptor like.

If you need a truck get one now - all the issues are pretty much worked out and as noted above you will get big discount on 2021 (I got $10k off from dealer and rebates on my 2020 after only about $6k on my 2019).  Also all that new tech on the 2022 may have some time to get the bugs out - so if you get a 2021, keep it 3 years and then a 2024 all the bugs will be out! 

No bad choice - good luck with decision 

1767178234_TruckFox2.thumb.JPG.c7935ae8998a5481cfcd49aa771ce791.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANDINGO said:

If you like a nice comfortable soft ride... The at4 has it in spades.  I'm on 20s running the trail runners.  No tread noises to speak of.  Couple of minor glitches with the infotainment system but it disappeared pretty quickly.  As for failures yes at 197 miles I dropped a valve spring.  Since then no issues knock on wood.

I will say the last part of my trip up i35 today I was pushing close to 90 mph a couple times...  75-90 is quick.  Even at those speeds relatively low wind noise and the truck always felt composed.