Jittery Ride? (Truck noob here)

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. New to trucks as well at this point in time.

So, recently picked up a '19 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. Love the car, plus it came with low mileage (hopefully not rolled back), and a few mods (rims, exhaust, lift kit).

I am used to SUVs and Sedan sports cars (Audi, BMW), so having a truck definitely feels different, so bear with me if I ask silly questions lol

So, I've test driven the 2021 5.3L V8 1500 GMC Evolution, was NOT impressed with it at all really, but thats because I'm used to a bit of a higher standard when it comes to interiors and options. Then noticed the dealership had a used 19 5.3L AT4, and I was sold right there. Took it for a drive, loved it due to the exhaust, lift, and wheels, a few less things for me to do with it. I did not feel it at first, but the car seems a bit jittery when driving, granted I get that its a heavy truck so acceleration isnt all that great, plus wheels are heavy so it may not be super smooth, but the car drives very jittery and not smooth. Service Dept at the dealership took it for a drive and said it drives fine, so not sure if its just me getting used to the truck, or what, but was hoping to get some insight from you truck folks on here. Another thing...DRONE at highway speeds is driving me up the wall. Love the sound of it when it turns on and when you step on it, the V8 growl is definitely pleasant, but at cruising speeds, that drone is just annoying...

My setup is as follows:

GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 - 5.3L V8

Rough Country 4" lift kit (no coilovers in front)

20" XD829 Hoss 2 wheels wrapped in Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R20

Exhaust looks like a chopped up exhaust (custom), do not recall the type of muffler in the center (not home now to check), but assuming that both flappers were cut out, but no clue if thats the case or not

Any help would be appreciated.

The 2019s were known to not ride the greatest in the first place, GM “retuned” the suspension (changed the springs) for 2020. And I doubt any of the aftermarket additions on your truck are helping matters.

Drone...if you have a hacked up pieced-together exhaust, not surprising. You really might want to consider getting a catback from GM Performance, Borla or Corsa. They are expensive sure, but they are also engineered to avoid drone.

If you're still running the Rancho shocks in the rear (And struts in the front) that has been a cause of a ride somewhat like you're describing. 

Thanks for the input guys. Recently moved from NJ to FL and this is my new gift but I want to LOVE the ride, but I just dont, at least not yet haha

So if I were to swap out the struts/shocks to coilovers in front and better shocks in back, would that solve the issue perhaps?

The below is what the truck has installed from what I narrowed down

https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-27530c.html?find=2019-gmc-sierra-1500-4wd-740023 

Cheapest config, so no coilovers or monotube shocks

I’m not lifted, but swapping my stock rear shocks for Bilstein 5100s definitely reduced the tail happy rear end behavior over bumps. 

Worth noting though, the stock Ranchos on the AT4 and Trail Boss are monotube. They supposedly much better than the ones that come with a normal height Z71 / X31 truck.

The Bilsteins are noted to be a big improvement, but I would start with finding out exactly what was changed when it was lifted.

As noted, I would also look at the exhaust to try and determine what was changed.  But it wouldn't surprise me if at least part of the drone is the tires.  Even with cars, tires can make a huge impact on ride and noise (I can tell a difference between my "summer" tires and my "winter" tires on the Camaro).

Edited by Jim E

I’m not lifted, but swapping my stock rear shocks for Bilstein 5100s definitely reduced the tail happy rear end behavior over bumps. 

Worth noting though, the stock Ranchos on the AT4 and Trail Boss are monotube. They supposedly much better than the ones that come with a normal height Z71 / X31 truck.
..... They're all monotube. [emoji38] I don't think that's it. Also, the TB/AT4 Ranchos are not any different from the other Z71s. It's only a 2 inch factory lift.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

..... They're all monotube. emoji38.png I don't think that's it. Also, the TB/AT4 Ranchos are not any different from the other Z71s. It's only a 2 inch factory lift.

No. Rancho shocks on a normal Z71 / X31 are twin tube, and they are junk. 

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

..... They're all monotube. emoji38.png I don't think that's it. Also, the TB/AT4 Ranchos are not any different from the other Z71s. It's only a 2 inch factory lift.

19 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

No. Rancho shocks on a normal Z71 / X31 are twin tube, and they are junk. 

@OnTheReel is correct. The Z71 Ranchos are all twin-tube. And speaking as one who has a Z71 with these shocks... they are terrible. 

OP, you're right to realize that you're being a little unrealistic in hoping a lifted truck rides as smoothly as the SUVs and sedans you've driven. My 2019 RST rides LIGHT YEARS better than my 2007 Silverado did. The first week I drove the 2019, I was shocked at how much better the truck rides/handles. 

However, my wife's Honda Odyssey still rides better than my truck overall. 

But her van cannot pull 9500#, go off road, nor tower over the other cars on the road. 😎  

• Like 1

those big spacers you have in front on that lift kit isnt helping.....and RC shocks well not so good

new shocks all way around with coilovers up front for that lift height (get a decent brand), make sure wheels are balanced and alignment is good, and that will be about as good as your gonna get.....maybe take a ride in someones who has quality setup already on and see if you like it....lifted trucks can ride horrible or pretty sweet but its still a lifted truck, and whats really nice to someone familar with trucks can be maybe not so much to someone who isnt.....

check to make sure someone did do something mickey mouse somewhere as well, you never know and people do it.......maybe take it to a reputable shop