In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2014 Silverado UCA Upgrade/front end time.....

So to start with the truck is a 2014 1500 Z71 with 20" factory wheels and tire size and leveled(2.25" I believe).  I bought it this way and had no real complaints but the ball joints are starting to give signs of needing replacing. I hold on to vehicles for the long haul, last was totaled by another driver or I would have still been in it.  I personally havent had complaints on the ride maybe I was used to my other truck but never had anyone who rode with me complain either 97% of my driving is on paved roads.

The plan is to replace the UCA with either Cognito or Kryptonite(doing this for ease of maintenance), replace the lower ball joint with a moog problem solver for the aluminum arm, and upgrade/replace the struts(still have some life but why not while I am here).

Noting I am torn on the strut/shock upgrade as well but that is not the focus of this post. Seriously considering keeping the spacer that is on it and going with the 4600's since I dont offroad or really drive rough roads but also considering the Bilstein 5100's or possibly the RS9000 quicklift, for my use I am looking to stay around $400 here for the front.

There are tons of threads here on most of these topics, but most are people looking to upgrade wheels or tires.  I am trying to see who on here has upgraded the UCA's and stayed with factory wheels and tires and not had issues.  Cognito says it will work with factory tires and wheels and Kryptonite says they should but will more than likely rub at full tilt.  Does anyone have any experience here or pics to show clearances?  I know these two are close and will give a nod to Kryptonite and probably to that way if I knew how bad the rub is etc...

Edited by rlnthndr

I had a 2" front level and I was running 33x12.5x18s with the stock UCAs and getting the rubbing on the UCA,
Stock wheels.
I had a Motofab UCA installed with a 3" front level (and a 1.5" body lift), the rubbing was almost non-existent - maybe a bit on total full lock.
I, now, have 35x12.5x18s and same - no rubbing except on total full lock.
Still with stock wheels.
YMMV, I suppose?

Yeah Kryptonite stated rub may occur at full tilt as I said in the first post.  I really like their offering but also would prefer the Cognito's claim of no rub with factory wheels and tires.  My assumption is the rub for the Kryptonites are tire and not wheel.

Also made the decision to go with the Eibach Pro-Truck Stage 1 kit for suspension.

I would recommend accutune shocks give them a call the owner is great, honest, and smart. Icon delta joint uca are nice. I own a set of accutune Fox 3.0 DSC shocks and I love them. Much better than my 3.0 adjustable icons where. Dirt kings uca have been good. I am having to rebuild the uniballs after 75,000 miles. But I would of done icon delta joints if they had been out. Make sure you install a set of camber lock out plates. They solved a ton of issues. Clunks and camber coming out of alignment. I bought the dirt king lock outs. I’m happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So went ahead and ordered the Kryptonite UCA's, Cam bolts, tie rod ends, etc... and the Eibach Pro Truck Stage 1 kit.

I appreciate the responses, but Again it is a budget build and will do more than it will be asked for.  As stated not looking for a high end lift for a level with decent ride on factory wheels and tires.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Leaving this here in case it may help anyone.  Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.  

So installed everything this weekend and while clearances were close I thought it would be ok, didnt take into account full tilt turn under load.  Needless to say I now have a set of Kryptonite UCA's sitting in the garage with new factory replacements on the truck for now.  

What I have learned from a lot of reading and what not after the fact is that most UCA's require a backspace on the wheels of 4.5".  I could have done 1/2" hub/wheel centric spacers I would have a fight with where I got my tires as they will not service a vehicle with spacers on it.  So I will probably buy new tires and wheels next time I have to replace my UCA's  which honestly if like my previous ones may be 80K+ or if I convince myself to do a lift.   May sell them still up in the air.

That said the suspension definitely takes bumps better i.e. speed bumps at speed used to jar the truck now feel pretty smooth, no body roll in cornering that I did have, etc...  after replacing LBJ, UCA, and struts alignment was only off on 2 parameters by an .# degree.  That surprised me.

If you want to keep factory wheels it seems cognito is one of the only ones that was designed with this in mind.  I choose the kryptonite based on feedback from those with lifts greater than 3" still like then and the angles looked good. but just not what I need right now.  

Edited by rlnthndr
  • Like 2