Fed up with my Silverado

Well, I have posted before about the ever present issue of the auto stop feature not working, I know many here don't care for the feature, but with our gasoline over $4 a gallon now, it's important to me).  The last time it was in the dealership was on the phone with the factory, and once again I was told it was fixed.....I drove home (12 miles) from the dealership, took the freeway to get it good and warm, turned off all the climate controls (even though I think I should be able to use them) went to a stop light and....nothing!  This was the 4th time I had it in to get this feature fixed, each time they tell it's fixed and the first opportunity to use it nothing happens.  I also had an issue with my infotainment screen going blank and popping up with a "No Content Found" error, they did a firmware update and it worked fine until  last week when I noticed that when I opened the driver side door after shutting the engine down, the radio would keep on playing for several seconds and then it would shut down.  It never did that before it used to stop as soon as I would open the door.  Then on Friday I was stopped at a light and the infotainment system went blank, no sound no display it lasted about 15 seconds then came back on.  Anyhow, I have decided to pursue the lemon law on this truck (I have contacted a lemon law attorney), as this is absolutely ridiculous for a truck with still under 2000 miles on the odometer.  I don't know if the problems are as a result of the trucks being built in Mexico, but I am tired of it being in the service department for weeks at a time and the problems don't get fixed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think I have heard of this one before.  While I understand the truck should behave as expected (and this might be WAD still) the auto-stop isn't saving you much at all.

That said, I know it's not an actual resolution to the issue but have you considered moving out of Cali?  If you're worried about gas prices and owning a truck in the same sentence, you're in the wrong state and perhaps voting for the wrong party.  While the issues in TX drove up costs, the regulations being introduced will only keep them driving upward.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I can count on both hands the times I've had my auto S/S turned off. Has it saved me any gas by leaving it on and letting it work? NO would be my answer. I had 3 GMCs in the past 6 years. A 14 5.3 6 speed. A 16 5.3 6 speed. Now I have a 20 5.3 10 speed. I've not changed my driving habits at all between the 3. All 3 trucks have averaged 16 MPG. I know you want the feature to work and have been to the dealer a few times already but, it's really not going to save you much gas if at all.

7 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I don't think I have heard of this one before.  While I understand the truck should behave as expected (and this might be WAD still) the auto-stop isn't saving you much at all.

That said, I know it's not an actual resolution to the issue but have you considered moving out of Cali?  If you're worried about gas prices and owning a truck in the same sentence, you're in the wrong state and perhaps voting for the wrong party.  While the issues in TX drove up costs, the regulations being introduced will only keep them driving upward.

LOL dude is having an issue with his truck that is under warranty, and your "solution" is for him to move out of state? Way to bring politics into a thread that literally has nothing to do with politics 😁 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There are A LOT of factors for the auto start/stop to be able to work. Time spent on, all kinds of temps sensors, time since last AS/S cycle... maybe it isn’t turning off because it doesn’t meet the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jav_eee said:

There are A LOT of factors for the auto start/stop to be able to work. Time spent on, all kinds of temps sensors, time since last AS/S cycle... maybe it isn’t turning off because it doesn’t meet the requirements.

100% this function has a lot to deal with a lot of factors how long the vehicle has been driven temp outside, if ac is running etc 

alot of people think this system is suppose to shut down every single time that is incorrect 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, larryz4 said:

I don't know if the problems are as a result of the trucks being built in Mexico, but I am tired of it being in the service department for weeks at a time and the problems don't get fixed.

They're not. You can release that from your mind. 

Sorry you've been having all these issues. Sometimes, it happens. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, econometrics said:

They're not. You can release that from your mind. 

Sorry you've been having all these issues. Sometimes, it happens. 

I appreciate your response, but I had a 2017 2500HD before I got the 2019 1500, and the 2500 was fully loaded and I never had a mechanical issue. Granted I sold it  with 16K miles on it (hardly anything), and I only sold it because I couldn't get better that 10 mpg on gas whether I was pulling my travel trailer or not.  When I sold my trailer I really had little use for such a big truck.  My frustration with this one is that even the factory engineers can't help.

3 minutes ago, larryz4 said:

I appreciate your response, but I had a 2017 2500HD before I got the 2019 1500, and the 2500 was fully loaded and I never had a mechanical issue. Granted I sold it  with 16K miles on it (hardly anything), and I only sold it because I couldn't get better that 10 mpg on gas whether I was pulling my travel trailer or not.  When I sold my trailer I really had little use for such a big truck.  My frustration with this one is that even the factory engineers can't help.

Yeah, sometimes you really do get a gremlin-infested vehicle. That really blows. 

My 2019 RST was built in Feb 2019 and hasn't had a single unsolvable issue. And the issues I have had have all been very minor. Again, sorry that your experience has been worse. 

2 hours ago, Fubar12 said:

100% this function has a lot to deal with a lot of factors how long the vehicle has been driven temp outside, if ac is running etc 

alot of people think this system is suppose to shut down every single time that is incorrect 

I can buy this to a degree.  I made sure that all of the mentioned criteria is met, engine at operating temp, no AC on (I turn the climate to off), no accessories running, etc. and it won't work.  When I dropped it off once at the dealership I got a courtesy shuttle ride home in a Traverse, the auto stop worked every time the driver stopped and he had that AC on high, radio on, etc. so this particular truck just don't get it.  Every time I take it in, the service department validates that the problem exists and they have contacted GM for help and they are stumped as well.

4 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah, sometimes you really do get a gremlin-infested vehicle. That really blows. 

My 2019 RST was built in Feb 2019 and hasn't had a single unsolvable issue. And the issues I have had have all been very minor. Again, sorry that your experience has been worse. 

Thanks, I really do love the trucks looks and handleability (especially in Sport mode).  With the latest recall notice I just got, I will give them one more chance to fix it, but I don't hold out much hope.

4 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

I can count on both hands the times I've had my auto S/S turned off. Has it saved me any gas by leaving it on and letting it work? NO would be my answer. I had 3 GMCs in the past 6 years. A 14 5.3 6 speed. A 16 5.3 6 speed. Now I have a 20 5.3 10 speed. I've not changed my driving habits at all between the 3. All 3 trucks have averaged 16 MPG. I know you want the feature to work and have been to the dealer a few times already but, it's really not going to save you much gas if at all.

I agree, it might save a cup of gas per 100 miles, but the fact that they can't fix it is the frustrating part and the infotainment issue just compounds it.

LOL, my truck was built in Mexico on January 3rd. Zero actual issues (little things that i don't care to mention). 

The Auto S/S does no real improvement. Technically yes if you sit at light for over 7 seconds it will save you that tiny amount of fuel. If you sit at a light for less than 7 seconds its actually burning more fuel. 

I would say (WITHOUT SEEING THE TRUCK), its probably a sensor that isn't connected properly. you live in San Jose, i am in Fremont. i have a MP808 scan tool. I might be able to find the problem, but i would doubt i could find anything since the dealer couldn't. Possibly go to another dealer? 

4 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

Makes me think maybe mine is shutting off to often!  🙂  From the first light I come to about 1 mile from my house to every stop afterwards on my 30 mile drive to work. Has been the case since new whether it's 30 degrees out or 100.  I would say that sometimes it restarts sooner than others which is probably dependent on these sensors.  Still for the original OP, I can understand your frustration.

There's a related post in the troubleshooting forum posted 20 hours ago titled Battery Voltage meter always reading above 14 volts, or something like that.  The poster states the dealer said his battery had a bad cell, which was also why his Auto Stop/Start feature wasn't working, and replacing the battery fixed that issue.  Just a thought to consider for the OP of this thread.

• Like 1