Differences in Infotainment (IOT) and HUD from early 2019 Builds to 2021 Builds

Recurring unfixable rear window leaks, a balky 8-speed transmission and random infotainment failures combined with a trade-in offer I couldn’t refuse led me to trade my 2019 Silverado High Country for a 2021 Silverado High Country, and I quickly noticed a few things in the truck.

It’s clear to me that GM has figured out some things in the period from 8/18 when my first truck was built, to 2/21 when the 2nd one was built – the build quality and fit is considerably better in the new one.

Adding Adaptive Cruise Control and Wireless Carplay make for a very different experience.  For example, in my 2019, the HUD Panel that shows the Gap and Speed is virtually a placeholder for what that page does in the 2021 version.  The Gap is now animated based on car length, and it changes color from green to amber as the vehicle ahead gets closer. I’m sure that change is a side benefit of adaptive cruise, which my 2019 did not have.  Also, in this HUD screen the lane indicators change color from white to green when lane guidance is active, and yellow when it senses the truck is over the line. Lastly, the HUD show much more information (XM radio station changes, and phone status, for example) that make the HUD much more useful.  I rarely used that page in the 2019, and I have used it almost exclusively in the 2021.

The IOT radio is better sorted now, as well.  The 2019 radio home screen shows 2 icons for the same iPhone – 1 for Bluetooth, and 1 for a wired connection. I had to choose which I wanted to use, now the 2021 has a single icon option, it appears to primarily use Bluetooth (or wi-fi with airplay), and is only using the wire for charging. I can’t confirm the wireless mode, but what I can confirm is that the user experience with the single connection make for very easy switching between sources, and the radio does not stumble, or show a black screen and restart as my early 2019 unit did. The truck recognizes my phone as soon as the wakeup cycle is complete. Of course, XM radio is now enhanced with play/pause and there are channel icons and cover art with a new screen, vs the basic display with generic icons on the 2019 version. If I am listening to XM, and I get a text message, Airplay overrides the visual, still playing xm, until I acknowledge the text message, and Siri will speak it, and ask for a response, The radio then goes back to XM, releasing the Airplay screen for the XM one.

There you have it, some observations around the user experience with the 2021 Infotainment systems- I’d be interested to see what others that have used both have seen.

I don't know how much you have used the adaptive cruise, but I noticed last week when cruising. If let's say you have cruise set at 80mph, the speed indicator shows the cruise mph speed setting as GREEN, and the trucks mph speed in WHITE, displayed below the set speed. If you accelerate past 80mph with the foot pedal, the GREEN set speed will turn BLUE, somewhere around 3mph over the set speed and then turn GREEN again around 80mph. Atleast that is the way I took it. Was more worried about driving. Can't believe how much interstate travel there is anymore.

Don't know why it's BLUE, should be AMBER or RED, to me.

Adaptive cruise is enjoyable interstate driving. 

I use the adaptive cruise regularly. 

(I often drive just using the buttons for  +/resume, -/set and pause.)

Blue shows up anytime the throttle is used  to run faster the the set speed, (like when passing.)

I think (but need to verify) that it will also turn blue when using pedal to drive closer to vehicle ahead than following distance is set for, even if the travel speed is below the set speed. 

Seems that blue means the throttle is overriding the automation.

14 hours ago, redwngr said:

I use the adaptive cruise regularly. 

(I often drive just using the buttons for  +/resume, -/set and pause.)

Blue shows up anytime the throttle is used  to run faster the the set speed, (like when passing.)

I think (but need to verify) that it will also turn blue when using pedal to drive closer to vehicle ahead than following distance is set for, even if the travel speed is below the set speed. 

Seems that blue means the throttle is overriding the automation.

Yes all of what you said is correct from using adaptive cruise in my truck. It will be interesting to see the self driving feature in the 22 Denali when it comes out.

6 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Yes all of what you said is correct from using adaptive cruise in my truck. It will be interesting to see the self driving feature in the 22 Denali when it comes out.

Yeah, I have a funny feeling there will be alot of spare parts available in the junkyards for a couple of years. 

I know this country got thru the horse and buggy next to vehicles cycle, but it would be easier if we could just flip a switch and have all self driving cars on the road at once.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, redwngr said:

As I understand it,  Supercruise is only going to work on 'mapped' roads. 

https://supercruise-map-viewer.cp.gm.com/

Well that's kinda sucky then. I figured they would have to step up the programming because the current lane keep assist doesn't follow curves and take bright sunlight very good if at all.