Rear window leak - Will it be fixed in 2022 models?

Nobody knows. GM hasn’t really acknowledged the problem so they aren’t gonna come out and say it’s fixed. 

It does look like most of the mules are running around with different color roof spoilers. Might be an indication that they are working on some changes with the window, cab or spoiler.

Time will tell. If by this time next year there aren’t any reported leaks, I’m in. If not, I might just get a Tahoe. I won’t deal with another leaker.

Purchased my RST in March of '19 and haven't had a leak on my rear slider. I've checked it close in heavy rains. My truck stays out most of the time.  I think the problem is with sliders only correct?

I like reading these. My buddy is the service manager at a huge Chevy dealer. I have asked him how many they have had that leaked out of the 600 truck 2019, 2020 and 2021 they have sold. And the number don't come close to the reading I see on the internet. He said you want to find problems go to the internet. I keep reading about the same 3 problems 1-rear window leak 2- 8 speed transmission and 3 - bad lifters. I have been told the transmission issue was solved with the synthetic tran oil. The lifter is very isolated and and the window leak it's not the window it the roof spoiler that was installed without 2 round seals. The dealership Ron works at sold over 600 trucks and they have fixed 9 trucks with leaking spoilers. I'm going to get hammer for this aren't I ok give it to me. My truck a 2020 Silverado LTZ that has near 20000 sits outside I have had none of those problems. lets have it

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mcgee500 said:

I like reading these. My buddy is the service manager at a huge Chevy dealer. I have asked him how many they have had that leaked out of the 600 truck 2019, 2020 and 2021 they have sold. And the number don't come close to the reading I see on the internet. He said you want to find problems go to the internet. I keep reading about the same 3 problems 1-rear window leak 2- 8 speed transmission and 3 - bad lifters. I have been told the transmission issue was solved with the synthetic tran oil. The lifter is very isolated and and the window leak it's not the window it the roof spoiler that was installed without 2 round seals. The dealership Ron works at sold over 600 trucks and they have fixed 9 trucks with leaking spoilers. I'm going to get hammer for this aren't I ok give it to me. My truck a 2020 Silverado LTZ that has near 20000 sits outside I have had none of those problems. lets have it

I agree that you can find someone with any issue you want on the internet. That said:

8 speed complaints mostly went away because GM actually fixed the issue.

Lifter problems were an isolated batch.

With the window leak, we are talking about a 200+ page thread spanning 3 model years. The scale alone indicates a fairly widespread issue, since the number of forum users represents only a very small fraction of owners. Every day there’s at least one new post of a window leak in the Facebook group too. A lot of times the issue just goes unnoticed and there are many who never know there’s a problem.

By the way, it is NOT the spoiler. You cannot find one single case in 200+ pages of a solid rear window truck leaking, but those trucks have the same exact roof spoiler. The only way that is even possible is that the rear sliding window is the leak source. The frame cracks and leaks. It’s well documented here and in GM’s own TSB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

we are talking about a 200+ page thread spanning 3 model years

And a large portion of the post in these 200+ pages have been made by the same posters several times over. Not saying that there are not some leakers but I believe that the majority are not. I have  a 2020 1500 with 19K on it and a 2020 HD and neither are leakers, and yes I do check them periodically.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcgee500 said:

Good info.  So what he's saying is, some spoilers were installed without the seals and adding the seals corrected the problem? Man I've seen posts where some dealers just gooped silicone everywhere.  

Edited by mafd2

1 hour ago, Booger T said:

And a large portion of the post in these 200+ pages have been made by the same posters several times over. Not saying that there are not some leakers but I believe that the majority are not. I have  a 2020 1500 with 19K on it and a 2020 HD and neither are leakers, and yes I do check them periodically.

There’s a new window leak post almost every single day in the Facebook group too. Thought this poll was amusing from a few days ago on there. Small sample size sure, but it’s over 2 to 1 in favor of leakers. 

E9468BF5-4AD3-482A-AC08-5458BBFF9A10.thumb.jpeg.39dd86fb2c400c100ba835978e6ef4af.jpeg

I cannot think of any other issue on GM trucks that has been this prevalent, save for maybe the shaking on the K2’s. 

1 hour ago, mafd2 said:

Good info.  So what he's saying is, some spoilers were installed without the seals and adding the seals corrected the problem? Man I've seen posts where some dealers just gooped silicone everywhere.  

That’s because the window frame is cracked and they are told to use seam sealer across the top of the window as per the TSB. Many of them make a mess. That’s why this issue is even worse.

But at any rate, they aren’t siliconing the spoiler because that’s not the leak source. And they aren’t still installing spoilers without seals on the 3rd model year of production. That would be silly.

23 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

That’s because the window frame is cracked and they are told to use seam sealer across the top of the window as per the TSB. Many of them make a mess. That’s why this issue is even worse.

But at any rate, they aren’t siliconing the spoiler because that’s not the leak source. And they aren’t still installing spoilers without seals on the 3rd model year of production. That would be silly.

Ok interesting.  Are the frames being cracked on installation or post install?  So the spoiler isn't an issue? 

31 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

Ok interesting.  Are the frames being cracked on installation or post install?  So the spoiler isn't an issue? 

More often than not it seems to crack after the truck gets some miles on it. Have heard of some that leaked right off the lot but not too many. Mine for instance waited about 8 months and 8k. Visible cracks in both upper corners of the window frame. They did the sealant fix, messed up a bunch of stuff and it lasted about a year. I have a slow leak now I’m just leaving be. 

My point about the spoilers is that if it was a significant cause of leaks, why would it only leak on the sliding window trucks, right?

Best theory I have is that flex in the cab breaking the sliding window frame at random. Solid window trucks have the benefit of a single piece of glass, and no frame. Much more stable and “structural”. No leaks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

More often than not it seems to crack after the truck gets some miles on it. Have heard of some that leaked right off the lot but not too many. Mine for instance waited about 8 months and 8k. Visible cracks in both upper corners of the window frame. They did the sealant fix, messed up a bunch of stuff and it lasted about a year. I have a slow leak now I’m just leaving be. 

My point about the spoilers is that if it was a significant cause of leaks, why would it only leak on the sliding window trucks, right?

Best theory I have is that flex in the cab breaking the sliding window frame at random. Solid window trucks have the benefit of a single piece of glass, and no frame. Much more stable and “structural”. No leaks.

Good points and info thanks. Mine is 2 years old this month and no leaks yet; knock on wood. Now the damn think may start leaking tomorrow 😟

5 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I agree that you can find someone with any issue you want on the internet. That said:

8 speed complaints mostly went away because GM actually fixed the issue.

Lifter problems were an isolated batch.

With the window leak, we are talking about a 200+ page thread spanning 3 model years. The scale alone indicates a fairly widespread issue, since the number of forum users represents only a very small fraction of owners. Every day there’s at least one new post of a window leak in the Facebook group too. A lot of times the issue just goes unnoticed and there are many who never know there’s a problem.

By the way, it is NOT the spoiler. You cannot find one single case in 200+ pages of a solid rear window truck leaking, but those trucks have the same exact roof spoiler. The only way that is even possible is that the rear sliding window is the leak source. The frame cracks and leaks. It’s well documented here and in GM’s own TSB. 

That 200+ page thread - ouch - but as bad as that is, there are so many replies to each new example over the last 2.5 years, especially in the beginning where many people helped document the issue with many posts and pictures as well as their results, good or bad.  Not every post in that thread is a new failed window, is my point. I went thru it with my 2019 - followed all the tab info including a new window - and it eventually leaked.  High resale value and a sympathetic dealer got me into a new 2021.  Too early to tell lol.  I'll be out in the rain the next few days.

The poll is a great place to start - I do suspect there is a large pool of folks that would like to report good or bad.

Lastly, in no way am I diminishing the intent - its stunning that there are still new 2021 trucks that are leaking, after 3 years to document and resolve it

42 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

So, is it typical that the cracks can actually be seen when it happens or, is yours just a really bad case?