Jump to content

Rear window leak - Will it be fixed in 2022 models?


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, bwoodsmn said:

That 200+ page thread - ouch - but as bad as that is, there are so many replies to each new example over the last 2.5 years, especially in the beginning where many people helped document the issue with many posts and pictures as well as their results, good or bad.  Not every post in that thread is a new failed window, is my point. I went thru it with my 2019 - followed all the tab info including a new window - and it eventually leaked.  High resale value and a sympathetic dealer got me into a new 2021.  Too early to tell lol.  I'll be out in the rain the next few days.

 

The poll is a great place to start - I do suspect there is a large pool of folks that would like to report good or bad.

 

Lastly, in no way am I diminishing the intent - its stunning that there are still new 2021 trucks that are leaking, after 3 years to document and resolve it

No, I get it. Not every post is a unique case. Just saying, where’s there’s smoke, there’s fire. Enough new “cases” to keep the thread bumped up, enough failed repeat repairs, etc. I just remember before my 2019 started leaking I had a tendency to diminish the chances of having a problem. And then one day it happens to you and you see it happen to everyone else and it makes ya crazy. 😂

 

I will say I’d trust a 2021 more than a 2019. The first windows were definitely the worst.

1 hour ago, mafd2 said:

Good points and info thanks. Mine is 2 years old this month and no leaks yet; knock on wood. Now the damn think may start leaking tomorrow 😟

Hey, you might be okay. 2 years is a mighty long time. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

So, is it typical that the cracks can actually be seen when it happens or, is yours just a really bad case?

You can often push the headliner up slightly and reveal them. And I have seen some so bad that the cracks go all the way through and are plainly visible without even moving the headliner. And of course, the cracks are always very easy to see on the outside with the spoiler removed.

 

Snapped a quick pic of mine. Large crack under the left arrow, smaller one under the right arrow. Another one above the water stain that is much thinner. 

 

94677D07-7020-4E30-B4EC-E2415D086515.thumb.jpeg.056116f2a4bfda039940d84fb0428afe.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one is not of my truck but a particularly bad example where the crack carries down right through the slider channel. Obviously very easy to spot if this happens. Ones like this...the dealers have no business even attempting to seal IMO. It’s too far gone and guaranteed to fail.826315C1-96D6-4F57-81FB-6A79BF32CA6E.thumb.jpeg.f3acace2f4ffcd094c2648cb40b08e15.jpeg

Edited by OnTheReel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the Chat feature from the GMC website this weekend and I asked a Sales\Customer Rep if the "Rear window leak would be fixed in the 2022 model". Of course the Rep replied "I have never heard of this issue". I then replied that there were over 3100 posts regarding this topic on this website. Their chat box stated the chat is recorded. Maybe someone at GMC will take note. My guess is that we will keep getting a rear window (with ability to crack ) in these trucks until this becomes a big enough issue for a recall. Maybe someone needs to do a Youtube video or have a magazine create an article on this issue. The Rear window leak is by far the main issue discussed on this site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I was at the dealer the other day and my friend showed me one that had apart. Wet head liner is a dead give away it's the spoiler that is leaking.

I'm think this is a no win those that think the rear widow is the cause will never think other wise. We have a large group of friends that all camp and ride motorcycles together and we count 18 of us that have 2019-2012 Chevy Silverados  2 have had leaks and both of them were fixed by sealing the spoiler. I'm going to end this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mcgee500 said:

I was at the dealer the other day and my friend showed me one that had apart. Wet head liner is a dead give away it's the spoiler that is leaking.

I'm think this is a no win those that think the rear widow is the cause will never think other wise. We have a large group of friends that all camp and ride motorcycles together and we count 18 of us that have 2019-2012 Chevy Silverados  2 have had leaks and both of them were fixed by sealing the spoiler. I'm going to end this.

It’s not about what I think, it’s about what I see with my own eyes happening on my truck as I speak. I’ve been dealt the “good” fortune to have a new crack in my window frame as of last week and it’s a big one.
 

When I gently spray a garden hose on the rear window, water streams through the crack, and wicks into the headliner. I took care to not get water onto the spoiler. It’s all from the crack in the window channel. You can see the larger stain where it’s been radiating out from the crack during the last rainfall. You can also see a small new wet spot from my hose test too. 


F2B1D8B3-DF18-40BF-91EF-066473138666.thumb.jpeg.299dec65266c9963adf9412318312146.jpeg
 


The headliner is in direct contact with the rear window and effectively acts like a sponge, wicking the water up that streams through cracks in the window. A wet headliner does not mean a spoiler leak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 repair attempts.  New window is here and will go in this week.  We'll see if it finally fixes the issue or if the tech screwed up my truck when he over torqued the spoiler bolts during repair #3.

 

 

IMG_20210325_083817681.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BamaBen said:

4 repair attempts.  New window is here and will go in this week.  We'll see if it finally fixes the issue or if the tech screwed up my truck when he over torqued the spoiler bolts during repair #3.

 

 

IMG_20210325_083817681.jpg

Are they replacing the headliner too or just cleaning it for you?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

It’s not about what I think, it’s about what I see with my own eyes happening on my truck as I speak. I’ve been dealt the “good” fortune to have a new crack in my window frame as of last week and it’s a big one.
 

When I gently spray a garden hose on the rear window, water streams through the crack, and wicks into the headliner. I took care to not get water onto the spoiler. It’s all from the crack in the window channel. You can see the larger stain where it’s been radiating out from the crack during the last rainfall. You can also see a small new wet spot from my hose test too. 


F2B1D8B3-DF18-40BF-91EF-066473138666.thumb.jpeg.299dec65266c9963adf9412318312146.jpeg
 


The headliner is in direct contact with the rear window and effectively acts like a sponge, wicking the water up that streams through cracks in the window. A wet headliner does not mean a spoiler leak. 

Completely agree with this, especially the wicking up part.  
 

Sorry to hear it happening to OnTheReel.  That is a huge crack!   Was it “repaired” before?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

Completely agree with this, especially the wicking up part.  
 

Sorry to hear it happening to OnTheReel.  That is a huge crack!   Was it “repaired” before?  

Yeah, back in August of 2019. Has had smaller manageable leaks for awhile but this one is forcing my hand into doing something. I should be eligible for window replacement but I have no confidence in that either. Kinda just want to be out of this thing at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

Are they replacing the headliner too or just cleaning it for you?  

They’ve been steam cleaning it each time.  This week I’m going to push for a new headliner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like reading these. My buddy is the service manager at a huge Chevy dealer. I have asked him how many they have had that leaked out of the 600 truck 2019, 2020 and 2021 they have sold. And the number don't come close to the reading I see on the internet. He said you want to find problems go to the internet. I keep reading about the same 3 problems 1-rear window leak 2- 8 speed transmission and 3 - bad lifters. I have been told the transmission issue was solved with the synthetic tran oil. The lifter is very isolated and and the window leak it's not the window it the roof spoiler that was installed without 2 round seals. The dealership Ron works at sold over 600 trucks and they have fixed 9 trucks with leaking spoilers. I'm going to get hammer for this aren't I ok give it to me. My truck a 2020 Silverado LTZ that has near 20000 sits outside I have had none of those problems. lets have it
Not every Silverado has the rear spoiler. Out of the 600, how many had rear spoilers?

Not every Silverado has a sliding rear window. It of 600, how many has sliding rear windows?

GM sold 575,600 Silverados in 2019. Using your dealer's math, 9/600=1.5%. However, the percentage would be higher via reducing the denominator because we remove the solid rear windows and/or trucks without spoilers. To keep things equal, I'll use the 1.5% we obtained above. 1.5% × 575,600 = 8,634 trucks.

For 2020 the numbers are slightly bigger. 1.5% × 594,094 = 8,912 (round up because you can't have part of truck sold).

For 2021 we have sales numbers through March. 1.5% × 126,591 = 1,899 trucks. Multiply by 4 and we'll see approximately 7,596 (sales numbers appear to be down for the 1st quarter).

At present, there are 19,445 trucks that have had the leaky rear window, and estimated to be approximately 25,142. This is representative of your dealer's 9/600. Looking at the numbers, this is not a minor or nonexistent issue.

At the end of the day, all your dealer friend cares about is getting paid. He doesn't care if the money comes from GM or a customer. Having work to do is job security.

With that said, I haven't experienced the leaky rear window yet, and I hope I don't. 14,000 miles on my 2020 Trail Boss that I've owned 8 months. I love the truck, and hope it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.