Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

3.0 Duramax cranks but won’t start


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Greenman27 said:

Just updating everyone on the crank no start issue on my 21 Silverado.  It has happened 3 times so far 1500 mi 4800 mi and 6070 miles.  It has always been with a warm engine.  it always starts second try perfect.

With less than 3500 km's our truck has had long crank/no start 5 times. The last one was a cold start in the morning. All were using push button start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine has happened on a warm engine and a cold one. Only thing in common was that I was in a hurry both times, pressing the brake and the start button at the same time. Foot definitely was not on the gas pedal. Normally, I press the button, put my foot on the brake, and press the button again to start. Never had an issue that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, Joe Brooks said:

Has anyone has the “shim” installed on the cam shaft position sensor long enough to know if that fixed the issue?  

I got my shim added a few weeks ago, just went on a 5 hour drive & back for a week long vaca with it but no issues as of yet.... 

Edited by Camille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 10:12 AM, macodi said:

Has anyone ever had the truck fail to eventually start after one or several of the long crank/no start issues? In other words it never started and you had to have it towed?

With mine, i would get the long crank/no start & would have to wait over an hour for it to finally start again. I would try multiple times to start it to the point where the battery almost died bc it wasn't starting. Both times the tow trucks were on their way/just arrived & then it finally would start with no issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Camille said:

I got my shim added a few weeks ago, just went on a 5 hour drive & back for a week long vaca with it but no issues as of yet.... 

Hi Camille. Hopefully your truck had the 4 hour procedure to add the shim, and not the "cab off" method.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two separate issues. 1. Camshaft position sensor reluctor wheel bent. 2. Camshaft position sensor shim installed. The TSB on either requires removal of camshaft cover. It is my understanding that the shim addition is added if the camshaft reluctor replacement does not fix the problem. The cab off procedure makes it easier to work on the engine. It is not mandatory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DVR said:

Hi Camille. Hopefully your truck had the 4 hour procedure to add the shim, and not the "cab off" method.

They got the shim on a monday & then it was ready by tuesday afternoon so i'm 99% sure they never took the cab off thankfully! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frankhpns said:

There are two separate issues. 1. Camshaft position sensor reluctor wheel bent. 2. Camshaft position sensor shim installed. The TSB on either requires removal of camshaft cover. It is my understanding that the shim addition is added if the camshaft reluctor replacement does not fix the problem. The cab off procedure makes it easier to work on the engine. It is not mandatory.

See previous post and pictures, they removed my front end and took the motor out… but thank goodness, GM is going to re-purchase/reimburse me for my truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I read earlier someone left their truck with the dealer to drive to see if they could replicate the problem with a computer hooked to it. Was there ever a response posted as to what they found?  How many have had the shim installed?  I see Camille with no issues yet. Anyone else? 

Edited by Joe Brooks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dang Gruggas.  Is this the same truck that got the exciter wheel replaced?  I thought they were buying yours back.   Just got done with my first oil change and got an ecm  update. I’m sure I’ll be back at the dealer soon. 

Edited by Joe Brooks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just picked mine up from the dealership and was informed that they were able to recreate the crank no start issue and they “fixed” the problem. I was then told they updated the software and instantly my excitement faded away. They also did something to the regen cycle. It was in regen on the way home and I heard no knocking.  In my state it takes 4 repair attempts and 20 days at dealership for the same issue to use lemon law, so one down 3 to go. Due to the fact that I am interested in a buyback I have to record every time I hit the start button for proof. Will post updates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, fireaxxe said:

Just picked mine up from the dealership and was informed that they were able to recreate the crank no start issue and they “fixed” the problem. I was then told they updated the software and instantly my excitement faded away. They also did something to the regen cycle. It was in regen on the way home and I heard no knocking.  In my state it takes 4 repair attempts and 20 days at dealership for the same issue to use lemon law, so one down 3 to go. Due to the fact that I am interested in a buyback I have to record every time I hit the start button for proof. Will post updates.

Did they say what they did to correct the regen knocking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 6K on my truck and have had the issue about 10-12 times... Never on auto restart. To me it seems like the firmware is not starting the fuel flow but the starter engages, the next time you hit the button fuel flows and all is well but the dealer can't reproduce so they say it's in my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.