Rattling noise sounds like heat shield.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I have a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT.  I'm having trouble figuring out where the metal clinging noise is coming from under my truck. The sound only happens when the truck is warm and driving at a constant speed. It will not rattle when I'm accelerating or decelerating etc.  I'm having trouble getting it to rattle parked in the driveway and this is why it's difficult to figure out.  I checked all the heat shields and they seem to be pretty secure with the dealership saying the same thing. I've also looked around to see if I have any clinging marks anywhere to no avail. I've gone over the mileage for the bumper to bumper warranty and the dealership wants to charge me to figure it out.  Has anyone had this same issue or similar experiences and figured out the problem?

There also have been some reports of the internal muffler rattling, mine is doing it, just waiting for another reason to,go to the dealer to get it replaced. 

• 2 weeks later...

@eppieguy yes, tapping on my muffler it seems to be coming from the inside of it.  Have you had this checked out yet?  Do you know if its covered under warranty? 2019 GMC sierra with 48k miles.  Not sure what warranty this would be classified under but maybe bumper to bumper, which I wouldn't qualify because my miles.  

No, I have not had it checked out but I saw a post from another member and it was warrantied for him. I am waiting until I need something else fixed before I bother with it, my warranty expires in December and I have 30k on it so if nothing else crops up between now and then I'll take it in December. It's really not bothering me so right now I don't really care and if I can find a GM performance exhaust before then I won't even take it back. 

Thanks everyone, It was the baffles inside the muffler as I suspected from tapping on the muffler.  Going to do an aftermarket exhaust (bolt on) as they quoted me $1,350 to have the muffler replaced which is crazy.  I am over miles on bumper to bumper and my Ally major guard extended warranty apparently doesn't cover the costs.  Hope this helps someone. 

• 2 months later...

Just had the same rattle issue. 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab Short Bed with 16,500 miles.

Only happens when it's hot. Sounds like a heat shield is loose. Especially noticeable with the rear slide window open.

It's an internal baffle in the muffler that has come loose. Part number for my repair was 84657793 which is the muffler, pipe and brackets. The part list price is over $800.00.

Mine got worse over time, mine would do it really bad at medium speed, about 45 mph.

To prove it while stationery, get it good and warm and tap the muffler with a rubber mallet.

Mine was covered under factory 36 month / 36,000 mile warranty.