2500/3500 GMC HD Diesel - Real World Towing?

I hear you!  I loved my 2500 AT4 in Dark Sky Metallic, but they’re not offering that color in AT4 trim this year. 

We almost went dually this time. I have enough room that I could squeeze it in the garage, but we’re not full timers with the 5er, and we felt the dually would push the truck/life balance too far off. 

The 3500 SRW standard bed allowed us to pull off all of our add ons from the 2500 to reuse on the 3500. Hell, I had even installed Air Lift bags that I ended up taking right back off after just two weeks.  It took me a while to reach that decision as we were very close to purchasing a dually, but once we landed on the 3500 SRW it feels like the perfect fit. 

I too wish we had gone straight to a 3500. The ride is equally as good and the cost difference is insignificant. With the used diesel HD truck market being so hot right now, I got almost what I paid for my 2500 on trade. 

I just wish the new truck would get here!  I’ve been truckless since 2/15/21!  

Congrats on the new truck and rig!! Great combination. Now you need to order a SXS to stick in that garage. I’d love a Can Am X3 .Mac Turbo in the back of a 350G! Who wouldn’t though?!? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

What a great topic, pretty much what I was looking for. I'm looking at upgrading my '15 Sierra 1500 Max Tow to either a 3500 AT4 or maybe a , gasp, Ford F350 Tremor. I really like what comes with the Tremor package but I also tow a tongue heavy 8k Outdoors RV travel trailer. Honestly, I'll be towing on road more than I'll be driving off-road but I do go off-road and am hoping to go off-road more often with a more capable truck. 

My current truck has the 6.2 and actually tows really well with a 12k Equalizer. I haven't had the trailer suck with this setup but I have in the past towing an enclosed car hauler with an SUV without any sort of anti-sway device. I'm currently struggling with payload of my truck with my current trailer. If I can upgrade, I'm going straight to SRW 3500 so I can be somewhat future proofed. I know off-roadability and towing prowess are at odds with one another. One wanting soft suspension and soft tires the other stiff suspension and stiff tires. Maybe the AT4 is the right mix? Those of you with the AT4, were you GMC drivers already? Would you even consider the Tremor?

11 hours ago, Red_5 said:

What a great topic, pretty much what I was looking for. I'm looking at upgrading my '15 Sierra 1500 Max Tow to either a 3500 AT4 or maybe a , gasp, Ford F350 Tremor. I really like what comes with the Tremor package but I also tow a tongue heavy 8k Outdoors RV travel trailer. Honestly, I'll be towing on road more than I'll be driving off-road but I do go off-road and am hoping to go off-road more often with a more capable truck. 

My current truck has the 6.2 and actually tows really well with a 12k Equalizer. I haven't had the trailer suck with this setup but I have in the past towing an enclosed car hauler with an SUV without any sort of anti-sway device. I'm currently struggling with payload of my truck with my current trailer. If I can upgrade, I'm going straight to SRW 3500 so I can be somewhat future proofed. I know off-roadability and towing prowess are at odds with one another. One wanting soft suspension and soft tires the other stiff suspension and stiff tires. Maybe the AT4 is the right mix? Those of you with the AT4, were you GMC drivers already? Would you even consider the Tremor?

The At4 is a sweet truck, ill start with that.  But like you said what you want is kind of at odds.  I have been in 3/4-1 ton trucks off road and they kick your know what in the cab compared to a half ton.  8k lbs is kind of in the gray area,  the half ton can more than handle it,  just really comes down to how much you haul it and what sort of capability you want with it. 

I just built and ordered a 2500 silverado.  I did build the At4 as well.  With chevy I upgraded the wheels, got the z71 package and had the option to order more off road suspension items with it.  Realistically I built the same truck as the At4 for about 8k cheaper.

• Like 2