Installed Reese Towpower Brake Controller Today And I Have Questions

This evening I installed a Reese Towpower Brake-Evn proportional brake controller that I picked up recently.  I already had the factory brake controller wire harness that plugs in under the dash, so I snipped the plug off of the Reese brake controller.  I installed one of these about 4 years ago in a relative's 2014 Silverado, so I was familiar with the process.  However I'm not sure if his brake controller was time delay or proportional.

Anyway, I don't have a trailer to test, so I have some questions.

1.  The gain and boost red dots stay illuminated constantly, even when the vehicle is off.  Is that normal?

2.  When pressing the brake pedal with no trailer connected, nothing illuminates on the screen except the 2 dots which stay on constantly.

3.  If I move the manual lever, it WILL turn on the vehicle's brake lights.  However, I was under the assumption that this was a gradual application.  It seems that when I use the manual lever, it's just ON or Off.  Also, when the brake lights illuminate, the brake controller display shows "NC."  The instructions say that if you have a FLASHING "NC" that indicates a fault, but says nothing about a steady "NC."

As far as I know I wired it correctly, as there are only 4 wires, and it seems as though everything is correct if the display illuminates.

Here is how I wired:

Instructions from GMC harness:

Dark Blue = Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output
Red/Green Stripe = Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery Feed
Black Brake Controller = Ground
White/Blue Stripe = Vehicle Stop Lamp Switch To Brake Controller

Instructions from Reese brake controller:

Black = Battery (+)
Red = Stoplight
White = Ground (-)

Blue = Brake

So I connected the following:

Dark Blue on GMC harness to Blue on brake controller
Red/Green Stripe on GMC harness to Black on brake controller
Black on GMC harness to White on brake controller

White/Blue Stripe on GMC harness to Red on brake controller

I appreciate your input if you have any experience with brake controllers regarding my above questions.  Thank you.