In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

swisher1

PARK ASSIST WIRE EXTENSION to the BULL BAR

I have a 2019 RST Silverado 1500 and since I installed my bull bar, my park assist alarms all the time. I've tried adjusting the angle and height of the bull bar but had no success. I can turn turn the alarm off but I'd prefer to have it work properly. I've looked everywhere for a piggyback or extension wire harness so I can move the sensors into the bull bar. If anyone has a fix or knows where I can find the wire extension I'd appreciate it.  AND if there's already a post on this or I put this in the wrong location, please be easy on me. I tried to find information on this issue but without any luck.  

20200806_175905.jpg

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it isn't that simple.  The system would likely need to be reprogrammed (ie: calibrated) to know that the sensors were moved.  Likely something that you would never get a dealership to perform.  

Posted (edited)

What Jim said it likely true but then again.......

If you made cut outs in the bull bar to house the sensors, I don't see what calibration would be needed.  They will be exactly the distance out that the bull bar is, making IT your first point of contact.  I'd imagine you could get away with just moving the two located behind the bar?

PS

Where did you get that bar/light?  Looks sweet and I don't have sensors to worry about

Edited by Rob Mugs

The bull bar is a TYGER textured black and I tried to find the light bar but I couldn't. It's 20" 9D spot light, not a flood light. Both were purchased on Ebay.   I recently had my truck in for an oil change at my local dealership and was telling the service manager that I was looking to put the sensors in the bull bar. He said that they had recently done it but he wasn't sure where they got it from.  I know GM doesn't list it.  I might have to hit him up again and see where they ordered it from.

I'm no expert, but I disagree with the comments about a recalibration being needed. Iirc, the sensors emit radar to detect distance. A simple relocation of the sensor is all you need. If I was closer I'd take a look at the wiring and see if I could do this job for you, including making a harness extension. With ordering parts and making a harness, it would probably take me a week. I don't have front parking sensors on my truck because I have tow mirrors, therefore I'm useless without something to touch. To fill the holes you could get some of these and paint them body color. 289e675c11bc8993914c663508b75824.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A company by the name of frontier makes brushguard a that accommodate the sensors. Maybe they have the wiring or whatever you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys for your input.   I messaged Frontier yesterday and I'm hoping for a response.  So far the only other company that I found that makes an extension kit is Westin but it only fits the 2014 - early 2019 silverado's.  They call it a Parking Sensor Relocation Kit #40-0005S  $79.99  for those who might be interested.      I would think that the sensor connectors would be the same as the new style truck but I can't find any info.