Tailgate won’t come down with TruXedo TruXport tonneau cover

I guess I made a mistake with buying my tonneau cover.  I had a LoMax on my 2018, but decided to save a few bucks this time around and I got the TruXedo TruXport.  As the title says, it won’t let my tailgate go down.  I hit the button or the button on my remote and the tailgate unlatches but I have to pull it beyond the cover for it to open.  While probably not a big deal, it offends my senses that something would be sold that worked (doesn’t work) like this.

Is this just the way it is for this cover?  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Is there any cover that doesn’t do this?  I hope I’m not going to have to buy a new cover, but unless I get some information from you guys that I can use to help, I’m going to see what I can do to return this.  Unfortunate because, for the price, it did all I needed it to do.

Help and advice appreciated..

45 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Help and advice appreciated..

A few things - the tailgate is super finicky. have you tried nudging the whole cover forward or backward just a hair - and see if the tailgate will not see whatever resistance is keeping it from dropping?  I had the same exact Bak Industries Revolver X2 on 2 different Silverado's and 1 was spotty, and when i reinstalled on my new truck i moved it just a touch forward on the rails, and it does not leak, and it is much more reliable going up and down - Like a 1/8" farther forward towards the cab.  Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

I have the same cover and have the same issue but I knew that it had this issue when I bought it.    It is the above the rail design that causes issues with the tailgate.   You could try moving it toward the cab but I would think it would leak by the tailgate if you did that.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mac-427 said:

I have the GM folding hard cover on my 2020 Silverado Custom and the tail gate works perfectly with the cover in place.

Do you have a part number for that cover?  I’ve tried searching on their site and I can’t find pricing on it.  I can find the covers, but only in a general ad description.  Can’t find the detail.

You need to readjust the cover.  The OEM covers do this as well if its not adjusted properly to the tailgate.  You will probably have to very slightly slide the cover forwards from the gate.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I’m going to try that.  Taking it back to the place that installed it tomorrow.  Over the phone it sounded more like a rig job. Said he’d raise it up a bit but that then I would risk leakage.  I’m going to let him know that I it’s either done and functioning properly or I’m returning it.  I already have my eye on the Vanish that schmitzna mentioned. We’ll see how it goes.

9 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Do you have a part number for that cover?  I’ve tried searching on their site and I can’t find pricing on it.  I can find the covers, but only in a general ad description.  Can’t find the detail.

Here you go, it was dealer installed when I purchased the truck.

1035324087_BedCover.jpg.e91eefc833a49227cde3847f3119c3e1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  When I typed in those exact words, it went right to the page I was looking for.  Can't understand why I couldn't get to it through the main page at gmc accessories.  Oh well.  Thanks!  They also had some less expensive soft covers.  If I can't get staisfaction on my current cover, I will give the gmc dealer a call and make sure that the tailgate operates with any of the tonneau covers they sell.

It is a lot of money, but I have a lot of reward points.  Maybe I can use enough to make it work.  I don't mind the soft cover, but the tailgate issue is something they should have disclosed.  That is not proper operation and I wouldn't have bought it had I known.

Edited by GN2018

I took it to the installer today and have good news.  We gave it some thought and he was going to make some adjustments.  Then I said, "my friends on gm-trucks, talk about moving tonneau covers forward to handle this."  He looked at it and said that he could probably move it up a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and would try that.  It pretty much worked.  There's just a little lag before the tailgate drops, but it does drop.  Maybe it will loosen up in time.

In reading here and thinking about it, there seems to be a balance between the cover letting the tailgate operate correctly and letting water in.  There will be plenty of rain this weekend, so I'll see if it leaks.  Frankly, I can live with a little water intrusion over it not operating correctly.  I suspect the water will just run down the tailgate and drain.  It's not like the bed it's made to shed water.  Plus, I don't have anything in it except my clubs and a little (stress "little") water isn't going to hurt anything.  It's not a car trunk after all.  We'll see if he got the balance right.  It looks like there's a good chance he did.

Now, just have to keep an eye on my rear slider for leaks.  But that's another thread. :)

• 2 weeks later...