In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have 2006 gmc sierra 1500 4wd 5.3l. I can't find out what's wrong with it, it goes thru gears good until it gets around 50 mph with 1800-2100 rpm it starts shuddering then when I accelerate to 3000 rpm or over its good again then after awhile I go down a hill arpund 50 mph it sounds like the torque converter releases and it won't pull like the transmission is out like its in neutral or something , then I put it in neutral it whines like crazy then I stop some where and put it in park it quits then you can put it in gear and it drives good again until you go over 50 mph. Idk if it's the torque converter or the transfer case 

Probably the transmission.

Does anything change if you put it in manual 3rd and gain speed normally?

It kicks out in 3rd gear too until you get 3000 rpm and when I start going down a hill It starts whining  I stop some where I put it in neutral and then in  gear it just whines and whines until I put it in park. Then it's normal again 

Now if you keep it around close to 3000 rpm it won't do it it won't even shudder but when you put down to 1800 rpms and barely touch the gas it will start shuddering and it will kick out and whines and if put in neutral sometimes and it just whines like crazy then I put it in gear it still whines then I have stop some where I'll have it stopped and it still whines neutral or in gear until you put in park then it's fine again 

If both 3rd and 4th have problems, then it's internal and will likely need a new one or get it rebuilt.

A local transmission shop can do a diagnostic check on and it and I bet they will tell you to get it rebuilt.

A reman transmission is a decent chunk of money but they carry a 3 year warranty with like 100k miles.

When it starts whining why does it still whines when it's stopped in gear or in neutral after you put it in park it stops then it's good 

Well its been rebuilt once 5 or 6 years ago 

Would a $1600 ranufactured trans like movers on autozone be alright it's got a 3 year warranty