In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Auxiliary Reverse Lights?

I installed some Rigid flush mounted diffuse reverse lights in my Road Armor rear bumper.  However, the way I chose to wire them does not actually work...  

I wired the positive wires to the reverse wire on the trailer plug and I wired the grounds to one of the ground points along ope of the bed cross-members. I think it is possible that the computer is looking for a trailer to be connected to the truck before those functions work.

Has anyone been successful installing auxiliary reverse lights and how did you do it.

5C6B2CD8-B670-488E-B706-92F38BA205D2.jpeg

I went another route since I didn't want to take a chance cutting and splicing wires.  I bought Curt Industries T-connector 56584 and flat wire extension 58531. The T-connector t's into the big bumper wiring harness behind the bumper and the extension plugs into the T-connector. I then connected my aftermarket reverse lights to the extension. This way nothing in the truck's original wiring is altered.

This setup also gives me the option to connect other running lights or turn signals using the remaining wires on the extension with no worry about the trucks original wiring.

https://www.curtmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+56584+Trailer+Wiring+Harness

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58531

I bought some cheap Nilight lights from Walmart in case this idea didn't work so I've got less than $75.00 in this setup. The lights are plenty bright but don't wash out the camera at night.

Lights.jpg

Edited by Enough
  • Like 1