In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I’ve got an 18 Silverado with the 5.3 L. It has been great and then around 50k miles I get a add engine oil light. I added 1.5 quarts to get the dipstick to read normal. Did some research and found the AFM stuff so I got an AFM disabler and let my V8 be a V8. Now at 61k- I get another add engine oil light!! This time I had to add 2 quarts!! Anyone else seeing this issue? My last Chevy (an 08) I only had to add a quart every 3 months or so, but that was after 150k. Thinking about trading for a different engine (diesel). Anyone else seeing this? I’m worried about early engine failure now.

Any input appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got an 18 Silverado with the 5.3 L. It has been great and then around 50k miles I get a add engine oil light. I added 1.5 quarts to get the dipstick to read normal. Did some research and found the AFM stuff so I got an AFM disabler and let my V8 be a V8. Now at 61k- I get another add engine oil light!! This time I had to add 2 quarts!! Anyone else seeing this issue? My last Chevy (an 08) I only had to add a quart every 3 months or so, but that was after 150k. Thinking about trading for a different engine (diesel). Anyone else seeing this? I’m worried about early engine failure now.

Any input appreciated

I’m reading and seeing everywhere there’s never been a better time to trade in a vehicle. Especially pickups and SUVs. If I was still working and had a questions with my ride. It would be gone. The downside. The new vehicle deals may be few and far between. Especially if you are picky. I always bought deals and traded often.

Once is starts adding the AFM delete is to late.  The piston rings are likely messed up from oil and combustion byproducts that the rings are not sealing adequately and oil is being consumed.

Piston-with-carbon-rings-zps9lk5skcj.jpg

Edited by elcamino
  • Thanks 1

Sorry but I don't get this mode of operation.

Why wait for an add engine oil light?  Makes no sense to me. 

Sorry but I don't get this mode of operation.
Why wait for an add engine oil light?  Makes no sense to me. 

I don’t wait, I normally check every other fill up. It’s just sometimes, all of a sudden, it needs oil

1 hour ago, paxamus said:

I assume your truck still has some powertrain warranty remaining. (Even if it has expired, I'd try for some compensation from GM on your newer truck). My '09 had horrible oil consumption and was repaired at around your current mileage. I drove it another 100K and never had to top off my oil again.   GM may make you jump several hoops before they fix it right but there is a fix which doesn't involve disabling AFM.

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

Once is starts adding the AFM delete is to late.  The piston rings are likely messed up from oil and combustion byproducts that the rings are not sealing adequately and oil is being consumed.

Exactly. We did several GM top end soaks on the wife's 2.4 I4. It did not make it perfect but it did move it from a quart in 600 miles to a quart in 10K and that....I can live with. Last eight oil changes on 2,500 OCI's

image.png.5007cb21e581c9b967a73febd522401f.png 

• Like 1

3 out four of my vehicles have low oil lights. I do check my oil sometimes to see if a pattern changes. It seems most people want all electronics on their trucks. But don’t trust a basic device to tell them to add oil. Even my 20 year old truck doesn’t need oil between changes. So rather than risk breaking my hood cable by opening the hood once a week while getting gas. Changing one of those is a pain. I’ll trust the low oil sensor.

Just to add my 2 cents worth in case some are not a wear of it, since GM went to direct injection (means the fuel injector sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber) there is no fuel spray on the top of the intake valve, which the older type injection system would (somewhat) keep the valve clean from the PVC system oil vapors. So now doing regular "Top Engine" cleaning is highly recommended to keep the intake system cleaner (and help with ring cleaning). There are systems you can get that separated the oil from the PVC system to help keep that junk from getting into the intake in the first place.

JLT Performance 3016P-B JLT Performance Oil Separators | Summit Racing

• Haha 1

Appreciate the info rlcole321 but you're late to the party.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2021 at 6:13 AM, elcamino said:

must be a ton of heat at that point of the piston huh? oil must be breaking down fast when trapped in this spot of the piston. i wonder if they added a tiny hole in this area , would this improve the movement of cooked oil  flowing or drainaged from the Lands between rings?

Edited by pokismoki