In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Let's Talk Retractable Bed Covers

11 hours ago, Transient said:

Thanks, but I have my concerns about those types of covers.  Particularly security.  I'll often have firearms and ammo in the back of truck, in addition to the half dozen that are already in the cab.

I’m the same way. Personally, if I have guns in the bed my wife is usually with me. One of us always stays with the truck. If I have guns in the back and I’m by myself, I don’t go to any stores. I’ll stop for gas, but that’s it. Just have to learn to be prepared for your trips ahead of time if possible. In honesty, the type of cover doesn’t matter for security. If a thief wants in, they’ll get in- and it won’t take much to do it. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 7:15 AM, Bullseye07 said:

I’m the same way. Personally, if I have guns in the bed my wife is usually with me. One of us always stays with the truck. If I have guns in the back and I’m by myself, I don’t go to any stores. I’ll stop for gas, but that’s it. Just have to learn to be prepared for your trips ahead of time if possible. In honesty, the type of cover doesn’t matter for security. If a thief wants in, they’ll get in- and it won’t take much to do it. 

The same argument can be made about home security.  If somebody wants in they'll find a way, but that doesn't stop people from taking protective measures their comfortable with, such as cameras and alarm systems.  We all have a threshold to which we're comfortable with.  Mine isn't with roll-up tonneau.  If I'm willing to pay for front and rear cameras on my truck that detect bumps/vibrations like Tesla's sentry mode, then I'm likely also going to pay more for a tonneau cover to give me a peace of mind. 

Edited by Transient

There was a development on this today, and it's not all good news, but hope remains.  The local dealer I was in contact with sat down and had a meeting.  I may have said this previously above, but not sure (and not scrolling up), the Roll-N-Lock is a no go due to how it mounts at the same location the sportbar does.  The Roll-N-Lock retractable cover is 100% out.

Regarding Retrax, they said they could either cut the side rail so it fits around the sportbar mounting flanges, but have concerns it could affect the weight carrying capacity of the cover.  They also discussed welding a flange into the Retrax side rails and drilling holes for the sportbar mounting bolts in order to not affect durability.  The flame would be sandwiched between the truck bed side rail and the bottom of the sportbar.  They didn't want to take on a project they weren't 100% comfortable with, and therefore said they won't do this.  This effectively means they are out of the picture, but not the Retrax bed cover. 

While considering my options after the above mentioned phone call I remembered what the accessories consultant at the dealership I bought my truck from said when discussing tonneau covers that are compatible with the sportbar.  She said there was a retractable cover that worked that GM offers.  GM offers 2 brands.  One is Roll-N-Lock.  The other is Advantage.  Hopefully the Advantage cover will work.  GM Accessories is currently offering 20% off MSRP for online orders over $500 until June 1.  That sounds like a sweet deal to me.  Does anybody have the install instructions for the Advantage bed cover GM part number 19416971?  If so, any help would be appreciated. 

The saga continues.  I couldn't make up my mind on what to get, so I decided to get my hands on 2 of them.  I bought the Embark LS from Advantage which is manufactured by Retrax, and a Retrax One XR.  I'm hoping the XR will fit without much modification.  If I can't make it work I'm going to return it (Amazon allows this).  The Embark LS was purchased through GM Accessories.  If the Retrax works I simply won't pick it up and get a refund of my money.  If the Retrax doesn't work I'll have a plan B on hand, which I'm very confident will work.