Hauling a yard of dirt

I want to pick up a yard of dirt.  I would appreciate if someone could verify a few things so I don’t go to the place and make an ass of myself (rather do it here :) ).

A yard of dirt is 3ftx3ftx3ft, of 27 cubic feet of dirt.  I have the GMC Sierra Denali crew cab, short bed.  Will I be able to put a yard of dirt in there, smooth it out and cover it with my tonneau cover?  Just roughly I think the bed is about 5ftx4ftx2ft (40 cubic feet) so I’m thinking it should fit with no problem.  I know the wheel wells will take up some space, but I still think it will fit.  Am I missing anything?

As for weight, they say a yard weighs 1800lbs.  My max payload is 1625.  I know no one will recommend I go over weight but I’m thinking a couple hundred pounds is not too risky.  I’ll just drive slow on the side roads instead of the expressway.  

1 hour ago, GN2018 said:

I want to pick up a yard of dirt.  I would appreciate if someone could verify a few things so I don’t go to the place and make an ass of myself (rather do it here :) ).

A yard of dirt is 3ftx3ftx3ft, of 27 cubic feet of dirt.  I have the GMC Sierra Denali crew cab, short bed.  Will I be able to put a yard of dirt in there, smooth it out and cover it with my tonneau cover?  Just roughly I think the bed is about 5ftx4ftx2ft (40 cubic feet) so I’m thinking it should fit with no problem.  I know the wheel wells will take up some space, but I still think it will fit.  Am I missing anything?

As for weight, they say a yard weighs 1800lbs.  My max payload is 1625.  I know no one will recommend I go over weight but I’m thinking a couple hundred pounds is not too risky.  I’ll just drive slow on the side roads instead of the expressway.  

I would agree... Just make sure your tires are inflated to the placard value.

It will handle it with no issues.  When ever I'm going to load my truck up with some weight I make sure my tires are inflated to max pressure that is on the tire. They are rated for max weight at that point.  Also I get E rated since I haul heavy often, the tires are the weak link so to speak.  Never hurts to have the proper equipment to do the job.

7 hours ago, GN2018 said:

As for weight, they say a yard weighs 1800lbs.   

What kind of dirt?  And is it wet or dry?  A yard of dirt can weigh well over 3K depending on its density and moisture content.  I would not sweat 1800 lbs. for a short run but I would not want 3K or more in the bed if I could avoid it.  I'd suggest renting a dump trailer if its too heavy (which is way nicer to unload anyway).  

IMG_2749.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Thanks for the heads up to check the tires.  Mainly though, I was wondering if the load would fit.  Does a cubic yard of dirt fit in a short bed?

You can fit a yard in the bed but it is not going to load perfectly flat coming out of the loader; it is going to pile higher than the bed rails in the middle so I would not plan on closing the tonneau cover.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2

Thanks.  A dump trailer would be sweet, but at that point, I might as well just have it delivered. It’s actually not dirt, but compost.  It’s $30 a yard if I haul it.  Just checked and a dump trailer is about $170 to rent for a day.  I don’t really want to pay $200 for a yard of compost.  Of course I could haul more, but I don’t really need more than one yard.  Maybe two at the most.  No doubt that unloading would be a lot easier though.  I’ll call on Monday and see if I can get a good rate for a couple hours versus the daily rate.

I was hoping I could close my tonneau cover.  I figured I’d have to smooth out the load.  If I don’t use the trailer, I’ll take a rake and hope for the best, but it’s supposed to be covered in MI so I guess I’ll take a tarp just in case.

It will do it. The dirt is NOT 1800 lbs. it will be wet and definitely weigh more. That said, a yard a of dirt is technically an exact measurement, but realistically, it’s 2 scoops from the loader. It will probably just barely fit with the cover. The truck will handle it, just drive carefully to your destination. 

22 minutes ago, Sqrls said:

It will do it. The dirt is NOT 1800 lbs. it will be wet and definitely weigh more. That said, a yard a of dirt is technically an exact measurement, but realistically, it’s 2 scoops from the loader. It will probably just barely fit with the cover. The truck will handle it, just drive carefully to your destination. 

2 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Stupid question, but can you not do a half yard at a time?

Both completely depend on the size of the loader bucket and the operator. Our local guys here have a 1 yard bucket that they absolutely heap full. Customers happy cause they end up with a bit more than a yard. 

21 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Stupid question, but can you not do a half yard at a time?

Not stupid at all.  If it looks like too much or like it’s bringing the truck too low, I’ll ask them to stop.  There was one review that said they refunded part of the cost because it didn’t all fit.  They didn’t say what they had, but I’m sure I can buy less than a full yard.  A yard just seemed like close to my max so I’d rather just do one trip if possible.  

One thing to be VERY Careful with. If the yard is gravel or  sand , gravel Soil Mix like here.. Watch the Tires VERY Carefully while they are loading it. The tires will sink into the ground and you will not realize how much weight is there until you pull up on the Pavement. I have overloaded my Trailer and Van like this a few times. The Van is 1 ton HD Express (stupid heavy duty) and trailer rated for 8 .  

Good Luck.

The gap between the bed and tailgate will cause you to slowly lose some of your load as you drive down the road, unless you do something to cover the gap like use a tarp. It may be a cubic yard when it initially gets loaded, but that doesn't mean it'll be a cubic yard when you get to your destination.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dump trailer is a great idea and will not risk any potential damage to your truck. 

I'm going to start doing a bunch of yard work due to yard damage of building a garage......dirt, rocks, landscape blocks, etc. 

I'm going to rent a dump trailer as it's so much easier to use and avoids any damage. 

4-hours for $50 or $77 for 24-hours......no-brainer IMHO. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c016b8c8ee58269d81c20f30cfe19b60.jpeg

• Like 1