In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hauling a yard of dirt

I purchased a 16K dump trailer and it’s a beast. I recently got a piece of land and it’s coming in very handy.

Even using the dump trailer Is not pain free. You have to watch the tow rating of your setup and electric brakes are mandatory. Just added air bags to my truck to allow it to ride more even under full load. Was a huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a local place and will give them a call tomorrow about delivery.  I'll also call the rental place and see about an hourly rate on the dump trailer.  All I could see online was a full day rate.  I'm thinking the delivery might be close to the same as a trailer.  We'll see.

I am intrigued by the comments to get a trailer.  The dump trailer makes some sense because it can dump.  But, I wonder why so many suggestions to get a trailer.  Isn't this what the back of a pick-up is for?  To be clear, I've never hauled anything in my bed besides a few large things for friends and my golf clubs, so this is indeed new to me.  But, I thought that's what one does with a pick-up.  Honestly, I wasn't too keen on the idea anyway because I'd have to clean out my bed, but again, I just thought that was what one does.  Oh well, learn something every day.  That's why it's great to be able to tap a large group of knowledge like we have here.  Thanks!  

2 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

I found a local place and will give them a call tomorrow about delivery.  I'll also call the rental place and see about an hourly rate on the dump trailer.  All I could see online was a full day rate.  I'm thinking the delivery might be close to the same as a trailer.  We'll see.

I am intrigued by the comments to get a trailer.  The dump trailer makes some sense because it can dump.  But, I wonder why so many suggestions to get a trailer.  Isn't this what the back of a pick-up is for?  To be clear, I've never hauled anything in my bed besides a few large things for friends and my golf clubs, so this is indeed new to me.  But, I thought that's what one does with a pick-up.  Honestly, I wasn't too keen on the idea anyway because I'd have to clean out my bed, but again, I just thought that was what one does.  Oh well, learn something every day.  That's why it's great to be able to tap a large group of knowledge like we have here.  Thanks!  

i had 48 12 foot sheets of  1/2 inch drywall in my Truck  wed last week. the week before the tile shop loaded a skid of tile in it with fork lift.  and  Monday Last week  260 2x4x10 foot...   Yes a truck is to haul things ..  But Dirt in my Truck bed EWWWW .. that is gross .. ohh i have a 8 foot 2 inch bed ..

1 hour ago, ericarenee said:

i had 48 12 foot sheets of  1/2 inch drywall in my Truck  wed last week. the week before the tile shop loaded a skid of tile in it with fork lift.  and  Monday Last week  260 2x4x10 foot...   Yes a truck is to haul things ..  But Dirt in my Truck bed EWWWW .. that is gross .. ohh i have a 8 foot 2 inch bed ..

Isn't that why they make garden hoses?😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Yes, one of the things a pickup truck is designed to do is carry stuff. However some may have suggested a trailer because your towing capacity is probably 5 times your payload carrying capacity. So where as an 1800 lb load of dirt may be over your 1625 lb payload max, it's no where near your towing max capacity.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GN2018 said:

The dump trailer makes some sense because it can dump.  But, I wonder why so many suggestions to get a trailer.  Isn't this what the back of a pick-up is for?  

Hehe, a hydraulic dump trailer will change your life.  The only bad part about owning one is everyone coming out of the woodwork wanting to borrow it.  I had no idea how useful one was until I borrowed one from my uncle for a week and was crushed when he wanted it back.  I owned one two weeks later and had a hard time figuring out how I ever got along without one.   

8 hours ago, GN2018 said:

My truck bed is more like an extra large trunk on a passenger car.  Camping chairs, camping tables, 10' canopy, wagon, cooler, baseball bags and various bats, etc.  It has been used to haul things for my family or neighbors, but that requires removing everything from the truck bed, plus my tonneau.  If I can avoid doing that, I will.  I use it more like a large SUV, but it's more versatile than a Suburban and that has paid off a few times.  All in all, it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks.  

11 hours ago, garagerog said:

Isn't that why they make garden hoses?😉

OHH.. 

Awesome ideal.. Its not a Full dump But We have a Tilt Bed Trailer. Sheet of plywood on pvc pipe with materials in a tarp it comes out quite easily .

Thanks for the thoughts.  It ends up being $50 to deliver it.  They’ll deliver two yards for that, maybe more, but that’s all I want.  So, that takes renting a trailer out of the equation.  Even if I could rent one for $25, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle of going to get it and dropping it back off, not to mention a trip to pick the material up.  For $50, it come down to saving me from having to unload my truck twice.  Plus, no clean up.  I liked the thought of getting the compost for $30/yd, but I guess $55 isn’t that bad, combined with no unloading, I’ll just end up having it delivered.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Thanks for the thoughts.  It ends up being $50 to deliver it.  They’ll deliver two yards for that, maybe more, but that’s all I want.  So, that takes renting a trailer out of the equation.  Even if I could rent one for $25, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle of going to get it and dropping it back off, not to mention a trip to pick the material up.  For $50, it come down to saving me from having to unload my truck twice.  Plus, no clean up.  I liked the thought of getting the compost for $30/yd, but I guess $55 isn’t that bad, combined with no unloading, I’ll just end up having it delivered.

I tried dirt delivery once.......never again, most of them don’t care and are underpaid kids. 

Heavy truck made huge ruts in the grass along the driveway (obviously couldn’t back up worth a dam) and leaked oil all over my driveway. Plus they never put the dirt where I told them. 

The “cheap delivery” never turned out so cheap in the long run.....

I handle it myself now days.......”if you want it done right, do it yourself” makes much more sense. 

Edited by BigMick2020

5 minutes ago, BigMick2020 said:

I tried dirt delivery once.......never again, most of them don’t care and are underpaid kids. 

Heavy truck made huge ruts in the grass along the driveway (obviously couldn’t back up worth a dam) and leaked oil all over my driveway. Plus they never put the dirt where I told them. 

The “cheap delivery” never turned out so cheap in the long run.....

I handle it myself now days.......”if you want it done right, do it yourself” makes much more sense. 

Generally, I agree with this.  However, I have a pool installed last year so where I want them to dump it is not really in great shape anyway.  Plus, it's right off the road.  They shouldn't even have to have wheels on my property.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I do not see any problems with doing that. Just like someone said above, just be aware about the pressure in your tires and you are ready to go.  I have actually had a similar situation however I think the yard of dirt wasn't that big, and I also own a GMC Sierra Denali crew cab, so I think you can go easily with that. Maaan, I was and I still am so freaking pleased that I hauled that dirt away, and I got some new artificial grass from https://itsartificialgrass.com/. Dude, no I do not have to take care of that and so on and so forth.

Edited by Astora

On 4/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, GN2018 said:

I just finished hauling compost for my garden.  I did it 3/4 yard at a time, four runs over the weekend.  I used the tail bed of the truck as I do not have a trailer.  I did, however, invest in a load handler for the tail bed.  It is a manual conveyor belt.  I backed the truck to my garden and cranked the load handler.  Tail bed was empty in less than two minutes.  I put a tarp under the conveyor belt so it would catch the extra compost.  When I was done I simply pulled the tarp out and dumped the remnants into the garden.  No need to hose out the truck, saved my back because I didn't have to shovel the compost, and gave more time for the yard work.  I highly recommend a load handler if you will be hauling dirt, rock, etc. in the tail bed.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, ericarenee said:

260 2x4x10, what bank did you rob?  The price of lumber now, that is just about the cost of your truck. :lol:

• Like 2