In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

New here! Hi to everyone, I have 2 Topkicks 89 and 91 both car haulers (my private use only). The 91 was being worked on by a mechanic who tried to rebuild the power steering/brake booster pump because of a front seal leak. After many tries he can't seem to get it right. It keeps blowing the seal out when the engine revs. I'd like to buy a new or reman pump but this one looks like a 1980-1990 pump and all the searches for a 1991 pump bring me to a different design. Is it possible mine being a 1991 could have been fitted with a phased out leftover design when new? I don't want to buy on looks alone but I need some help here. 

Edited by rustyoldcars
spell check
  • 2 weeks later...

You best bet might be to have a dealer look the pump up.  It's probably not available anymore but you could search for it by part number and have a better chance of getting the right one.  There were many different pumps for those trucks, some were steering only and some were for steering and Hydro-boost brakes.  I don't remember if the pumps changed in 1991, but I do remember they sold 2 different types of TopKick in 1990, the new generation and the old Caterpillar 3208 powered version.. 

Thank you I did a ton of research. GM dealers were no help. I somehow stumbled upon by luck a rebuilt supplier (Lares® - Remanufactured Power Steering Pump #4017
 https://www.carid.com/lares/remanufactured-power-steering-pump-mpn-4017.html?singleid=3510501573)

from Carid.com  same pump used on a 1975 International Travelall.  my tracking shows it being delivered today so I should be able to confirm if it is a replacement. Again a thank you