Are every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra selling for over MSRP???

YMMV based on big of a net you cast.

Lara Buick GMC sells at a great price but you'd be hard pressed to buy something from them. I was in their showroom last weekend and every truck on the lot was sold or waiting delivery. Everything shown inbound on the website had deposits. Every single truck.

You could order and get a good price still but you'd wait 8 weeks (according to them). If you are playing the incentive game that makes it a wild card.

I just bought a truck below MSRP but not much below it. 2021 LT TB with the 6.2L. Within a 6 hour radius of me there aren't any on lots with the 6.2L unless they have a deposit. Most dealers are selling them before they hit the lot so no reason to discount them beyond GM incentives.

Depending on the truck, engines, and options you may have more luck than with others.

Again, YMMV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 20Denali21 said:

I'd wait a month or so and see if you like the refreshed trucks. You may kick yourself in the butt if they look nicer.

Fair point, but I was ready and (1) locked in $40.8k for my '16 Sierra Denali at CarMax, (2) GMC dropped the rebate from $5k to $4.5k today and (3) Laura website doesn't show the Laura discount now, which makes sense given supply and demand.  So, the new truck price just went up $5k today.  Glad I got my deal done.  Another 4-5 years I'll be ready for something different.

For what its worth, my trade was flawless except for clunky 8 speed transmission and the water stained headliner from the XM antenna leak and rear high stop light leak.  CarMax didn't drive my truck until we had reached a deal (then they just moved it to the back of their building) and of all the pictures they take to send to the cloud for rating they didn't take any of the headliner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GullLakeMi said:

Fair point, but I was ready and (1) locked in $40.8k for my '16 Sierra Denali at CarMax, (2) GMC dropped the rebate from $5k to $4.5k today and (3) Laura website doesn't show the Laura discount now, which makes sense given supply and demand.  So, the new truck price just went up $5k today.  Glad I got my deal done.  Another 4-5 years I'll be ready for something different.

For what its worth, my trade was flawless except for clunky 8 speed transmission and the water stained headliner from the XM antenna leak and rear high stop light leak.  CarMax didn't drive my truck until we had reached a deal (then they just moved it to the back of their building) and of all the pictures they take to send to the cloud for rating they didn't take any of the headliner.  

$40K for a 2016 truck... wow. Nicely played! 

Some dealers are just taking advantage. I just bought an AT4 a couple weeks ago and got my supplier price plus the $5000 rebate for about $9000 total off. Some dealers are not participating in supplier pricing so just find a new dealer. 

On 4/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, waltchan said:

I'm experiencing a terrible situation where most (if not all) southern California Chevrolet and GMC dealers are required to sell every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra pickups for OVER MSRP. None of the salesman or manager is willing to budge on price. Some are as high as $5,000 dealer markup, regardless of trim. Trail-Boss or AT4 as high as $7,500 dealer markup. Buying at invoice price is totally dead-deal at this moment, and dealers ask me to leave the premise immediately. They all stated truck shortage or chip shortage, whatever the reasons. Pay at MSRP sticker price exact is a rare case-by-case basis only at this moment.

Is the inventory shortage really that bad nationwide?

What about other US states? Do you have this same issue? It's possible it may be a California only state problem, due to overpopulation, and it's not a problem with other US states at all. What about Arizona and Texas? Were you able to buy for invoice (or below) for 2021 models?

Just bought a '21 Custom Trail Boss 6.2L on 4/22/21 for exactly MSRP (with $4,400 rebate) but had to go to Las Vegas (from San Diego) to buy it.  I searched inventory from the online build and price tool to find it and had to put a deposit on it almost two weeks before it arrived at the dealer.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, pokismoki said:

my nieghbor had used 2012 GMC 2500 with low milage 40K, just sold for $34,000.  talk about holding value... he paid $38,000 in 2011

Wow!  I thought I did good.  I bought for $48k in '16 and sold for $40.8k.  Only losing $4k over 8 years is crazy!  Gotta wonder who is buying a 2012 and paying $38+.  

On 5/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, waltchan said:

OP here, the best I've found is exact MSRP for ordering one at Mark Christopher Chevrolet in Ontario, CA, and deposit is only a low $500. Should I go this route?

To be clear, are they not offering the $4,500 GMC cash allowance in Canada or is the dealer keeping it?

If I had to pay MSRP, I would try to wait for 2022 model.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:07 PM, waltchan said:

OP here, the best I've found is exact MSRP for ordering one at Mark Christopher Chevrolet in Ontario, CA, and deposit is only a low $500. Should I go this route?

I would assuming they aren't going to tack on a bunch of BS add ons and they are giving you the full rebate. Chevy has already dropped rebate to $4k. Doesn't seem like inventory shortage will correct itself till next year at best. Dealer I bought from now shows only 4 in stock, all over $50k and the Trail Bosses have a "market adjustment" mark up of $5k. I don't feel so bad now for paying MSRP.

Edited by 2.7fanboy

On 5/4/2021 at 2:07 PM, waltchan said:

Go to cars.com and click new trucks.. even with the ongoing shortage, I am still able to find good deals. We bought one from Quality Chevrolet in San Diego. I recommend them.

A few statements here are untrue... for starters, I'm a California resident and can go to Arizona and buy a new car there since it's already compliant with California emissions anyway. We have a Mexican-registered Cheyenne at the ranch and I think we had to pay the 3.5% import tax.. but it's now registered in California (it had only 1,000 kms on it, but did have California emissions sticker under the hood which was good enough for the DMV).

I don't know why people are reporting they cannot get a discount here in California. I am seeing a lot less inventory for sure and a lot less discounts. I still see around $4k to $5k off for an LT though.

The lower interest rates has people refinancing their houses and they're buying RV's and swimming pools. There is an RV shortage here as well.

15 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

A few statements here are untrue... for starters, I'm a California resident and can go to Arizona and buy a new car there since it's already compliant with California emissions anyway. We have a Mexican-registered Cheyenne at the ranch and I think we had to pay the 3.5% import tax.. but it's now registered in California (it had only 1,000 kms on it, but did have California emissions sticker under the hood which was good enough for the DMV).

I don't know why people are reporting they cannot get a discount here in California. I am seeing a lot less inventory for sure and a lot less discounts. I still see around $4k to $5k off for an LT though.

The lower interest rates has people refinancing their houses and they're buying RV's and swimming pools. There is an RV shortage here as well.

Deja Vu

:idiot:

:rollin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Is that the incentive GM is offering or is it 4-5K on top of the incentive?  Sometimes you gotta watch how those are listed on websites because there are many incentives that many people wouldn't qualify for.