In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Just my 2 cents, but if it were me, I'd bring it in now... schedule for that and the oil change in one swing then

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cosmetic would be that you scratched the lens cleaning it and want it warrantied.  GM will say take a hike.   Your issue is a malfunction of the LED DRL strip.  

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Gangly said:

I actually like the bluish color change look.  :) 🤷‍♂️

Ha! Well mine appears more purple... and it’s only the drivers side. So, my OCD won’t allow that 🤣

1 hour ago, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

Ha! Well mine appears more purple... and it’s only the drivers side. So, my OCD won’t allow that 🤣

I understand, I'm the same way about things when they are mine, particularly with automotives/tools.  I like it when other peoples stuff is different, but mine better be in check! :)

Hope you get it resolved soon.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:02 PM, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

I’m still living with it being purple... I’ve been kind of waiting to see if the other one is going to turn also. I’d like them both swapped out. Are both of yours purple or just one?

Just one of them. It’s on my driver side too. 

• 1 month later...

This is a Bad LED, I purchased my 2021 Sierra with 15 miles on it and within 3 days the driver side upper running light went blue/purple. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it was bad. They replaced it (4 to 5hrs) they told me they pretty much needed to remove the grille and bumper. after it was finished and I went to pick it up I noticed the new light had a yellowish tint. I immediately complained it was not bright white. I told them this new LED is also bad. they would not hear it and said it looked fine. After a hard discussion we agreed to wait a few days to see what happens. Well two days later again the light went blue/purple.  Again I was told it was a bad LED. I now have been waiting two weeks to get this one replaced and I think I am getting blown off. I talked to a few other people in my area who have a GMC Sierra that I stopped and they too said they had the same problems. I have worked with LED's for the last 13 years in my job and I know when there is a bad LED. It is just a real funny now that so many are having the same problem all on the same side (driver side) ??? something is not right!    

6 hours ago, Dave M S said:

This is a Bad LED, I purchased my 2021 Sierra with 15 miles on it and within 3 days the driver side upper running light went blue/purple. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it was bad. They replaced it (4 to 5hrs) they told me they pretty much needed to remove the grille and bumper. after it was finished and I went to pick it up I noticed the new light had a yellowish tint. I immediately complained it was not bright white. I told them this new LED is also bad. they would not hear it and said it looked fine. After a hard discussion we agreed to wait a few days to see what happens. Well two days later again the light went blue/purple.  Again I was told it was a bad LED. I now have been waiting two weeks to get this one replaced and I think I am getting blown off. I talked to a few other people in my area who have a GMC Sierra that I stopped and they too said they had the same problems. I have worked with LED's for the last 13 years in my job and I know when there is a bad LED. It is just a real funny now that so many are having the same problem all on the same side (driver side) ??? something is not right!    

Wow. You had quite an experience. I really hope that doesn’t happen to me. The dealer just got my new light in after waiting 2 weeks. I’m trying to get it in next week to have it swapped. I’m going to analyze the color very closely when I pick it up. And, yes, I have noticed that most of the trucks with this issue have it on the drivers side. However, I have seen 1 or 2 around my town that had both sides bad. And, there is another guy in the other main thread on this and he said both of his went bad. Also, my drivers side light beam is also brighter white and more powerful then my passenger side. I noticed that right after I bought it when I pulled into my garage at night and saw the reflection. You’d think there would be much better quality control for such a nice truck and brand. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 7:35 AM, 2021 Sierra X31 said:

Hey all: I have a 2021 Sierra with 6k miles on it. I noticed the other day that my drivers side daytime running light LED has turned a purple color at the top... definitely noticeable and I see it now when sitting behind other cars from the reflection. See picture for reference, it doesn’t show up nearly as noticeable in the picture. Has anyone else noticed a purplish color on their DRL’s? It’s also driving me crazy as they now don’t match in color between left and right. 

1AAE1270-E9FB-48E6-A579-DE64EF501031.jpeg

My 21 GMC has 900 miles and I've noticed the same problem on the driver side I would like to know what's causing it I will be taking it back to the dealership to get replaced.

2 hours ago, Jerry Hicks said:

My 21 GMC has 900 miles and I've noticed the same problem on the driver side I would like to know what's causing it I will be taking it back to the dealership to get replaced.

Hmmm... so another drivers side culprit... possible the drivers side and passenger sides were manufactured at different facilities?? That would seem highly unlikely. Just trying to figure out why so many are only on drivers side. 

Hi Everyone, just a follow up to what I posted on July 23rd. After a discussion with the dealership they ordered me another LED running light to replace the one that was just replaced :)  took them about 3 to 4 hours to replace and it seems good now. Time will tell, it has been about a week and so far so good no blue light. I was told GM is having really bad quality issues with these LED's the talk is they may have a recall as soon as the supply chain replenishes their stock. The dealer I went to had 5 trucks that week with bad LED's and all were being replaced. My suggestion is to take a strong stance and get a new light installed it is covered under warranty right now do not wait or it will come out of your pocket later. I will keep you posted when or if the LED goes bad again.  

Dealership told me no fix because there"s no bullitin on it I Had to live with it, sent gm a message and they said same thing been fighting this for 3 months. Any help would be nice, if more people would report the issue it might help, I see a lot of them on the road CHEVY AND GMC

28 minutes ago, zeon said:

Dealership told me no fix because there"s no bullitin on it I Had to live with it, sent gm a message and they said same thing been fighting this for 3 months. Any help would be nice, if more people would report the issue it might help, I see a lot of them on the road CHEVY AND GMC

Thats total BS man. Go to a different dealership. The rest of us have gone in first time and they have ordered a new light without any hassle. I’m sure GM is having to take a bath on this issue... but it wouldn’t have happened if they had better quality control. Just because there isn’t a bulletin doesn’t relieve them of responsibility of replacing components that have failed!! 

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 month old 21 Sierra SLT has developed this problem on the drivers side but its intermittent, usually when I first start it its white like the other side then will change to a lite blue and pretty noticeable. Of course took it the dealer and it stayed white! Lol 

Has anyone else had theirs act this way? Will it eventually stay blue?