In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2020 High Country 6.2L Whipple Supercharger Build

I picked it up about an hour ago.  It is very stealthy, you don't hear the SC at all!  The weather is really ugly right now so I don't have much else to share, picture or video wise.  There are no drivability issues whatsoever, under normal driving you wouldn't even know its there. 

The tech went back and was able to install the Whipple belt on it.  His guess is that Whipple made the belt so tight that it has more room for adjustment after it stretches.  He basically had to loosen the adjustable pulley so that it was able to wobble at an angle and allow the belt to start.  

I will share more when I can.

• Like 1

Following. Looking at doing the 3.0 Whipple on mine. My Chevy dealer has a performance shop as well and they said the only way they would do it safely and warranty the motor is also replace the pistons with forged and redo the heads springs, lifters and pushrods. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigdog2005 said:

Following. Looking at doing the 3.0 Whipple on mine. My Chevy dealer has a performance shop as well and they said the only way they would do it safely and warranty the motor is also replace the pistons with forged and redo the heads springs, lifters and pushrods. 

That seems a bit excessive but it might be good in the long run, depending on what your ultimate goals are.

• Like 1

Just now, AEmedic said:

That seems a bit excessive but it might be good in the long run, depending on what your ultimate goals are.

They said that the pistons are cast and proned to failure on these new 6.2s in our trucks when boosted. The lifters, springs and rods have been proned to failure in stock form and added HP and pressures only increase the chances.

They actually warranty the motor for 36k miles. The end result according to them after the dyno tuning would be 575-600 rwh.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bigdog2005 said:

They said that the pistons are cast and proned to failure on these new 6.2s in our trucks when boosted. The lifters, springs and rods have been proned to failure in stock form and added HP and pressures only increase the chances.

They actually warranty the motor for 36k miles. The end result according to them after the dyno tuning would be 575-600 rwh.

You are the first one I have seen post that "the 6.2L lifters, springs and rods have been prone to failure" on the T1 6.2L...

33 minutes ago, AEmedic said:

You are the first one I have seen post that "the 6.2L lifters, springs and rods have been prone to failure" on the T1 6.2L...

I have read a few articles about valve spring failure and lifter collapse, but I'm certain that can happen at any point. I have had my RST over a year now with zero issues. I figure they dyno them to 575-600 wheeled hp is the reason for the upgrades. From the sounds of it, I would be okay with the canned tune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigdog2005 said:

Yep.  Gotta pay to play.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigdog2005 said:

I agree that it would eliminate some weak points when adding boost. Worst case if you were to leave it stock is that you end doing everything they mentioned later. Im in the 2nd camp. If i end up tearing down for a broken valve spring, ill rebuild it back stronger.

As a reference, hennessey is boosting silverados with full warranty. They add "crankcase ventilation" i.e. catch can as well as hardened push rods. 

• Like 3

I had my springs replaced with a dual spring setup just for peace of mind. Mine was built in the middle of the valve spring issue.

The 3.0 whipple on a 6.2 is going to make high 400's to low 500's whp, if they are making 600whp, they are doing way more than just the blower, or putting a much smaller pulley on it. Its definitely not the whipple kit as is.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No huge news, but the truck is great and much faster, at least by my calibrated seat-of-the-pants evaluation.  The only negative I have is that, I’d say it is a bit prone to surging early in the power band.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AEmedic said:

No huge news, but the truck is great and much faster, at least by my calibrated seat-of-the-pants evaluation.  The only negative I have is that, I’d say it is a bit prone to surging early in the power band.

I agree with the surging. How was the transmission been for you? Mine feels like it can get confused if it wants to drop a gear or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it hesitates. Some of the gear changes seem a bit harsh too. The t93 isnt tuneable, so ill live with it. I heard they do some amount of learning, so i considered looking into a reset on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, darkhorse220 said:

I agree with the surging. How was the transmission been for you? Mine feels like it can get confused if it wants to drop a gear or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it hesitates. Some of the gear changes seem a bit harsh too. The t93 isnt tuneable, so ill live with it. I heard they do some amount of learning, so i considered looking into a reset on it.

I noticed the trans issue even before the install.  If you are hard on and off the throttle, it seems to think about the shifts more than make them, sometimes.

• Like 1