Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Lifters going bad on 5.3L-common problem apparently?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Vtecluder617 said:

I absolutely adore this truck. One of the nicest looking vehicles I've owned.

 

But I will say, coming from years of headache free and reliable car ownership (owned nothing but Hondas before buying this truck), I simply will not accept major engine/transmission issues from a truck this new and this expensive! Fingers crossed I never have to deal with it, but if it ever has to go in for major warranty work, will most likely have the repairs made and then get rid of it for a...gulp...Tundra.

 

Your requirements sound like to me that you emphasize reliability more. Go with 4.3L V6 with 6-speed auto. If you accidentally didn't buy this drivetrain pair, expect only "below-average" reliability or less, published by Consumer Reports. The ones with 6-speed auto have at least "above-average" reliability by Consumer Reports, if there is ever a separate rating for it.

Edited by waltchan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many,many 5.3s with no issues with millions of miles between them .They are not all having issues relax and enjoy .Ps is the guy loving the 4.3 the same guy that starts the same lovefest over said engine ....if so everyone should bail

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vtecluder617 said:

Wow, this is some great information! So it appears the 10W30 would be the best bet for this engine. What does GM recommend for it? I haven't had the oil changed yet, so wasn't sure. 

 

0W20 Dexos1Gen2

 

3 hours ago, waltchan said:

 

From GM's own history book, the 4.3L V6 is actually their most "tried and true" motor, due to its more compact design, less complexity, fewer moving parts, certified as industrial for fleets, and etc. It's possible that 4.3L V6 has always been rated more-reliable than 5.3L V8, since beginning of history.

 

I'll let owners compute on this one to support the claim. Which motor has been more-reliable to you?

 

Since 2014 the only thing the Ecotec3 4.3 has in common with the Vortec 4.3 is engine size. Not the same motor. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonboko said:

Many,many 5.3s with no issues with millions of miles between them .They are not all having issues relax and enjoy .Ps is the guy loving the 4.3 the same guy that starts the same lovefest over said engine ....if so everyone should bail

 

Wait...so you want to sound the warning for 'the same guy' but don't know who that guy is? 

 

:rollin:

 

Boo!

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, waltchan said:

 

From GM's own history book, the 4.3L V6 is actually their most "tried and true" motor, due to its more compact design, less complexity, fewer moving parts, certified as industrial for fleets, and etc. It's possible that 4.3L V6 has always been rated more-reliable than 5.3L V8, since beginning of history.

 

I'll let owners compute on this one to support the claim. Which motor has been more-reliable to you?

 

The current 4.3 (2014) is completely different from the older one (1985), they only share a common displacement. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a lifter failure at only 7500 miles. 2019 AT4 with 6.2.

Likely happened earlier but I hadn’t got around to making appointment at dealer.

I think it’s being caused by the DFM system which you currently can’t disable if you have a 10-speed.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

 

The current 4.3 (2014) is completely different from the older one (1985), they only share a common displacement. 

 

Yes, I'm well-aware of that. But, could the 4.3L EcoTec3 possibly still be more-reliable than 5.3L, due to a more simple-design with less-complexity. I don't think anyone here has any problems with the 4.3L.

 

OHV is OHV, no difference at all for any OHV engine's layout design (other than a different engine block material to aluminum instead of cast-iron). I think it's similar to Buick's 3800 engine, also an OHV.

 

Can we call 4.3L EcoTec3 most-bulletproof?

Edited by waltchan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, waltchan said:

 

Your requirements sound like to me that you emphasize reliability more. Go with 4.3L V6 with 6-speed auto. If you accidentally didn't buy this drivetrain pair, expect only "below-average" reliability or less, published by Consumer Reports. The ones with 6-speed auto have at least "above-average" reliability by Consumer Reports, if there is ever a separate rating for it.

Honestly, having never owned a full size pickup, I just assumed a V8 was the way to go. I didn't want to go as big as the 6.2L, simply because I did not plan on towing anything major, so didn't see the need.

 

Reliability is definitely important to me, and I think for everyone else too. I took a chance with Chevy, simply because I assumed with automotive technology getting better each and every year, I thought reliability would too! Again, I may never have an issue with this truck, just an observation lately with other owners experiencing these lifter failures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, carpendj said:

I had a lifter failure at only 7500 miles. 2019 AT4 with 6.2.

Likely happened earlier but I hadn’t got around to making appointment at dealer.

I think it’s being caused by the DFM system which you currently can’t disable if you have a 10-speed.

 

 

 

How has your truck been running since they replaced the lifters?

 

I've heard some people mention that the DFM could be to blame for the pre-mature failure. I actually purchased a Pulsar LT which disables it, among other things, so hoping that could potentially prolong the life of the engine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

All good points. 

 

If a failure due to materials or workmanship is going to happen, it will show itself early and warranty will handle it.  

If a failure is due to lubrication....dyier2 nailed it. Use the severe schedule for all other fluids. 

If a failure is due to design issues it will happen shortly after the warranty expires. That IS the design. The tool you use to beat that demon back is wisdom. Treat it better than you think it should have to be and it will live longer than you expect it to. 

 

 

 

 

 

You should add to that list driving style...

Constant WOT operation (as most peeps seem to do) is going to limit the useful life of the drivetrain.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

You should add to that list driving style...

Constant WOT operation (as most peeps seem to do) is going to limit the useful life of the drivetrain.

I must FULLY disagree that "MOST" seem to drive with constant wot....lol

When I ever get the opportunity for wot with my 6.2 it is for a few seconds only unless I am out in the country and then it is for maybe a few extra seconds and then you are into triple digits.

My bet is 95% will never see an issue in the time they own their trucks, I did a AFM delete and lifter fix on  my gorgeous one owner babied since birth 2013 in my driveway on a sunny afternoon.

Had to wait for ECU to be returned to me but whole thing was a cakewalk anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vtecluder617 said:

 

How has your truck been running since they replaced the lifters?

 

I've heard some people mention that the DFM could be to blame for the pre-mature failure. I actually purchased a Pulsar LT which disables it, among other things, so hoping that could potentially prolong the life of the engine. 

Since it's impossible to beat a dead horse too long, let me throw out another consideration to muddy up the waters.  Granted, the DFM system is complex and has many moving parts, but could disabling it and causing parts that are designed to move to remain in a static position potentially causes issues in its own right?  Only time will tell.  I for one plan on running my engine as designed, follow the maintenance schedule religiously, use a high quality oil (checking the engine oil level regularly), and hope to be like the vast majority of owners of the 5.3 and not have any major issues.  However, if you see me on the side of the road standing next to my truck with my thumb out, please give me a ride.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnacortesArmyGuy said:

Since it's impossible to beat a dead horse too long, let me throw out another consideration to muddy up the waters.  Granted, the DFM system is complex and has many moving parts, but could disabling it and causing parts that are designed to move to remain in a static position potentially causes issues in its own right?  Only time will tell.  I for one plan on running my engine as designed, follow the maintenance schedule religiously, use a high quality oil (checking the engine oil level regularly), and hope to be like the vast majority of owners of the 5.3 and not have any major issues.  However, if you see me on the side of the road standing next to my truck with my thumb out, please give me a ride.

 

Never thought if it that way. I do know these "disabler" tools have been out for some time now. And a good amount of Silverado owners use them. If, as time goes on, it is shown that they are detrimental to the health of the engine, I'll be taking it out without question. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, It's Tim said:

You should add to that list driving style...

Constant WOT operation (as most peeps seem to do) is going to limit the useful life of the drivetrain.

 

It on the list but not quite as you have worded it so  I went back an highlighted that point>

 

Treat it better than you think it should have to be and it will live longer than you expect it to. 

 

Anyone whose watched more than 10 minutes of T/F racing knows a motor built by the best, tuned by the best, built with the best parts on earth can let go in a fraction of a second.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnacortesArmyGuy said:

Since it's impossible to beat a dead horse too long, let me throw out another consideration to muddy up the waters.  Granted, the DFM system is complex and has many moving parts, but could disabling it and causing parts that are designed to move to remain in a static position potentially causes issues in its own right?  Only time will tell.  I for one plan on running my engine as designed, follow the maintenance schedule religiously, use a high quality oil (checking the engine oil level regularly), and hope to be like the vast majority of owners of the 5.3 and not have any major issues.  However, if you see me on the side of the road standing next to my truck with my thumb out, please give me a ride.

 

Will a main bearing cap designed to be removed fail because it's never removed? 

Will a guns firing pin break because the gun is never fired?

Will a rock not thrown break a window?

Can a negative be proven?

How would one study that?

:rolleyes:

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.