In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Anyone unhappy with WT trim?

Has anyone here that has purchased a WT become unhappy with it and wished they went with a higher trim?

Obviously some things can be added after the fact using either factory or aftermarket parts, but some things you are just stuck without.

It looks like to get the things I really want it would be about another $7k jump to the LT package, but that also includes several things I DON'T want.

Posted (edited)

I know my truck isn't a T1 but your asking about trim levels and I have a WT1 K2 and compared it with a T1 WT1 so I can speak to the trim package. Actually the T1 has a few items the K2 didn't such as the backup camera and power windows but lost a few other small bells a whistles. Sunglasses case above the mirror. Something I actually use. 

I've had mine over five years, logged 136,000 miles and am blissfully happy with it. As you've noted the price difference for carpet and fake bling, leather/wood didn't make sense to me. I bought it to make me happy, not impress someone else. I don't use most of the features the WT1 has so I have no interest in having more stuff to not use. It's a truck. It's not a home theater, office space or dinning room, living room or 'man cave'.  

And I am SO happy with this trim and truck I annoy others. Really! Someone will chime in and tell you so. :rolleyes: 

I took the extra $$$$ I didn't spend on fake bling and upgraded the suspension, improving the ride and lowered it a few inches. Line-X the box and wheels wells. Clear bra. Window tint. Carpet matts. Hey my feet think it has carpet!! :crackup: Much easier to keep clean and to clean. If you really had to have carpet then aftermarket for a fraction of the cost...with pad. And still didn't spend all the difference. 

As she looks today

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG.249353198ed5bf0315ed3b52e7b758c4.JPG

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Posted (edited)

i prefer the WT trim. the LT is what i got, and its not what i wanted , but the loaded trucks where selling cheaper than WT plane jane models

i found my leather steering wheel is slowly faling apart, wish it was the WT rubber steering wheel.  be nice to have rubber mats instead of carpets. i hate the 8" Infotainment crap, yuppy gadjets. like i said they where charging $38k for the stipped WT truck while the LT was $35k at the time of sale with red tag discounts on the msrp

too many  convenyances and bling are making our trucks look like they're buillt for millenial p***ss*ies

Edited by pokismoki

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I know my truck isn't a T1 but your asking about trim levels and I have a WT1 K2 and compared it with a T1 WT1 so I can speak to the trim package. Actually the T1 has a few items the K2 didn't such as the backup camera and power windows but lost a few other small bells a whistles. Sunglasses case above the mirror. Something I actually use. 

I've had mine over five years, logged 136,000 miles and am blissfully happy with it. As you've noted the price difference for carpet and fake bling, leather/wood didn't make sense to me. I bought it to make me happy, not impress someone else. I don't use most of the features the WT1 has so I have no interest in having more stuff to not use. It's a truck. It's not a home theater, office space or dinning room, living room or 'man cave'.  

And I am SO happy with this trim and truck I annoy others. Really! Someone will chime in and tell you so. :rolleyes: 

I took the extra $$$$ I didn't spend on fake bling and upgraded the suspension, improving the ride and lowered it a few inches. Line-X the box and wheels wells. Clear bra. Window tint. Carpet matts. Hey my feet think it has carpet!! :crackup: Much easier to keep clean and to clean. If you really had to have carpet then aftermarket for a fraction of the cost...with pad. And still didn't spend all the difference. 

As she looks today

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG.249353198ed5bf0315ed3b52e7b758c4.JPG

Heated seats, center console, and keyless entry/start are all I want extra.

I know for a price heated seats and the center console can be added, but push button start can not.

I honestly didn't think I would care too much for the keyless stuff, but my wife's van has it and it just makes it so much more convenient and quick to not have to dig my keys out of my pockets.

Posted (edited)

My biggest pet peeve of the WT and Custom trims?  No power driver seat.  

Give me a power driver seat (oh and steering wheel controls) and I could care less about the rest.  I despise the manual seats in the T1 trucks.  I have a 2019 LD LT Z71 and I've yet to touch the heated seat buttons once.  Doesn't interest me.  Push button start doesn't do anything for me either. 

At least on WT they added the functioning jump seat console and for 2021 you can get steering wheel controls but its part of the RGE safety confidence pkg (which also gets you the uplevel DIC!).  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick112288 said:

It will save you headaches to just get the model with the features you want already on it. Even if it comes with extra stuff you don't need. How much time are you willing to spend adding standard LT features to a WT?

I was willing to look at WT trim when I bought mine. I don't need carpet floors, in fact I have covered all the carpet with Husky liners anyway. Never had remote start before, figured I didn't need it. I do enjoy that feature somewhat. But the boss demanded heated seats so we had to go to the LT1 with All-Star package. Which turned out to be on about 50% of what my dealer had on the lot anyway. I still don't use the heated seats, but I'm pretty happy I got what I did. I think the lack of features on WT aren't worth the small savings unless you really only use it for work and not a family hauler.

Yup to above.  7k more at the end of the day is maybe 100 bucks more a month or so, and thats before you negotiate.  Often times with promos you can get very close to the WT.

Now I get it, somebody just dont want the frills or the LTZ deluxe stuff,  I really dont either even though I can afford it..

I had  WT truck once and I hated the wheels so changed those,  stereo had to be upgraded to accept phone calls,  had to paint a few trim pieces as it looked dumb with the flat black.  Guys do this all the time, end up losing out,  you end up with big money on the parts you could of bought the first time.

If you think you are missing out on somethings and already questioning, then dont get the work truck.

Just now, nards444 said:

Yup to above.  7k more at the end of the day is maybe 100 bucks more a month or so, and thats before you negotiate.  Often times with promos you can get very close to the WT.

Now I get it, somebody just dont want the frills or the LTZ deluxe stuff,  I really dont either even though I can afford it..

I had  WT truck once and I hated the wheels so changed those,  stereo had to be upgraded to accept phone calls,  had to paint a few trim pieces as it looked dumb with the flat black.  Guys do this all the time, end up losing out,  you end up with big money on the parts you could of bought the first time.

If you think you are missing out on somethings and already questioning, then dont get the work truck.  Only way I would have a work truck is if it was for in fact work.  If money and budget was an issue I would just go find a year or two old vehicle used and get that. 

11 minutes ago, nards444 said:

Yea that's the one thing that low trim buyers don't always catch.  An LT  (which now comes with All Star) can with rebates and if you get supplier be close to if not the same price as a WT that is loaded up.  GM discounts the price more on the LT over a WT too for employee and supplier.  

For 21 the wt got steering wheel audio controls which was the only thing holding me back from a prior year wt.  I got my cc duramax dually that had every option you could get in the wt model for $54,000 and the closest comparable lt at the time with all incentives was $61,000 and it still didn't have some of the options I was looking for if I went to an lt.  I use it as a camper hauler and would still do it again.  The rubber floor is so much better for keeping clean with my gravel driveway and it has all the options you would have gotten on an lt back in 2015.

I figured the same....to get stuff I wanted was impossible or crazy expensive.....you see threads here all the time guys wanting to upgrade their lower trims on a truck they just bought.....I paid 47k OTD (CA 10% sales tax) for 2020 LT 2500 CC with conv 1 and 2 pkgs, advanced trlr pkg...a custom was only like 1k cheaper....if your truly happy with a WT by all means but if your already thinking you won't be than you won't for sure.....I dont need a Denali but some stuff is nice.......adding after the fact is a PITA and costs more, or isn't even possible (ask custom TB owners trying to convert LT steering wheel over to theirs)

Like some above stated they are totally happy with WT but if your already questioning it that's not good......twice I have done that and regretted it

12 hours ago, nick112288 said:

I know for a price heated seats and the center console can be added, but push button start can not.

I honestly didn't think I would care too much for the keyless stuff, but my wife's van has it and it just makes it so much more convenient and quick to not have to dig my keys out of my pockets.

$7K for a button?

I'll pass

:idiot:

On 5/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, pokismoki said:

too many  convenyances and bling are making our trucks look like they're buillt for millenial p***ss*ies

...definitely; because we all know millenials are just loaded and have money to burn; oh wait, those are boomers. 🙄

• Like 1