Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Back at the dealer with 1563 miles (6th time)


Recommended Posts

So, the flashing CEL is back. Had a one minute flashing CEL episode and then 10 miles later started flashing again before going solid and staying on. Still staying on this morning. Mileage also dropped a lot and then started coming back up. 2021 LT TB 5.3

 

Advised service advisor that I installed a JLT catch can at 1400 miles after last visit and that it seemed to be catching a lot of oil already. As soon as I came into dealership, service manager came out and told me that by installing am aftermarket part, I had caused a vacuum leak and that is what is popping codes. So, I asked him to explain the four flashing CEL occurrences and solid CEL that all happened with less than 1,100 miles on truck. NO response. I have a feeling they are going to try to void any warranty work at this point.

 

I want to love this truck. Heck, I just want to like it at this point. I have already sunk ~$1500 in accessories into it. Always been a Chevy guy. May be time to kick GM to the curb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SteveG said:

So, the flashing CEL is back. Had a one minute flashing CEL episode and then 10 miles later started flashing again before going solid and staying on. Still staying on this morning. Mileage also dropped a lot and then started coming back up. 2021 LT TB 5.3

 

Advised service advisor that I installed a JLT catch can at 1400 miles after last visit and that it seemed to be catching a lot of oil already. As soon as I came into dealership, service manager came out and told me that by installing am aftermarket part, I had caused a vacuum leak and that is what is popping codes. So, I asked him to explain the four flashing CEL occurrences and solid CEL that all happened with less than 1,100 miles on truck. NO response. I have a feeling they are going to try to void any warranty work at this point.

 

I want to love this truck. Heck, I just want to like it at this point. I have already sunk ~$1500 in accessories into it. Always been a Chevy guy. May be time to kick GM to the curb.

Might be time to take it to another dealer.  If you are a Chevy Guy, go buy your own scan tool (MDI and GDS), a subscription to the shop manual, and fix it yourself.  Or at least identify the problem yourself and let them fix it.

Edited by swathdiver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

So, the flashing CEL is back. Had a one minute flashing CEL episode and then 10 miles later started flashing again before going solid and staying on. Still staying on this morning. Mileage also dropped a lot and then started coming back up. 2021 LT TB 5.3

 

Advised service advisor that I installed a JLT catch can at 1400 miles after last visit and that it seemed to be catching a lot of oil already. As soon as I came into dealership, service manager came out and told me that by installing am aftermarket part, I had caused a vacuum leak and that is what is popping codes. So, I asked him to explain the four flashing CEL occurrences and solid CEL that all happened with less than 1,100 miles on truck. NO response. I have a feeling they are going to try to void any warranty work at this point.

 

I want to love this truck. Heck, I just want to like it at this point. I have already sunk ~$1500 in accessories into it. Always been a Chevy guy. May be time to kick GM to the curb.

That's not a gm only issue, all manufactures don't want customers tampering with equipment that they are on the hook for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SteveG said:

So, the flashing CEL is back. Had a one minute flashing CEL episode and then 10 miles later started flashing again before going solid and staying on. Still staying on this morning. Mileage also dropped a lot and then started coming back up. 2021 LT TB 5.3

 

Advised service advisor that I installed a JLT catch can at 1400 miles after last visit and that it seemed to be catching a lot of oil already. As soon as I came into dealership, service manager came out and told me that by installing am aftermarket part, I had caused a vacuum leak and that is what is popping codes. So, I asked him to explain the four flashing CEL occurrences and solid CEL that all happened with less than 1,100 miles on truck. NO response. I have a feeling they are going to try to void any warranty work at this point.

 

I want to love this truck. Heck, I just want to like it at this point. I have already sunk ~$1500 in accessories into it. Always been a Chevy guy. May be time to kick GM to the curb.

 

 

Seeing this is trip #6, I assume this has been going on since before the catch can?

 

If so, take the can off and then let them diag. 

 

It will probably be a bad ignition coil, or a fouled plug as a result of an active liter failure and a bent pushrod.  

 

Put the can back on after they fix it.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So, they have the truck. Service writer seems to be on my side. I am test engineer by trade so I think we will be good there.

 

Anyway, it is still the generic P0300 code. No specific cylinders. This is following 4 instances of flashing CEL, one solid CEL, all before 1100 miles. Latest was flashing CEL for about a min at 1543 miles followed by flashing to solid at 1555 miles. So, think we are on solid ground that the catch can was not an issue. Plus it was catching as much oil in 150 miles as my 496 big block with 20k catches in 600+ miles.

 

On the plus side, GM did not immediately so no on the warranty. In fact, they are flying an engineer out to look at truck on Friday.

 

 

Edited by SteveG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, SteveG said:

So, they have the truck. Service writer seems to be on my side. I am test engineer by trade so I think we will be good there.

 

Anyway, it is still the generic P0300 code. No specific cylinders. This is following 4 instances of flashing CEL, one solid CEL, all before 1100 miles. Latest was flashing CEL for about a min at 1543 miles followed by flashing to solid at 1555 miles. So, think we are on solid ground that the catch can was not an issue. Plus it was catching as much oil in 150 miles as my 496 big block with 20k catches in 600+ miles.

 

On the plus side, GM did not immediately so no on the warranty. In fact, they are flying an engineer out to look at truck on Friday.

 

 

I really like the "flying out an engineer" part..........did you buy the space shuttle?

The dumbasses what is an engineer going to do?

Should be simple enough to diagnose and take it from there.

Sorry for your troubles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

So, they have the truck. Service writer seems to be on my side. I am test engineer by trade so I think we will be good there.

 

Anyway, it is still the generic P0300 code. No specific cylinders. This is following 4 instances of flashing CEL, one solid CEL, all before 1100 miles. Latest was flashing CEL for about a min at 1543 miles followed by flashing to solid at 1555 miles. So, think we are on solid ground that the catch can was not an issue. Plus it was catching as much oil in 150 miles as my 496 big block with 20k catches in 600+ miles.

 

On the plus side, GM did not immediately so no on the warranty. In fact, they are flying an engineer out to look at truck on Friday.

 

 

So you installed a catch can after you started having CELs?  I am truly sorry for the issues you are having but you didn't do yourself any favors there.  
They may not be able to get away with voiding your warranty but they can make things might difficult.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really would of taken that can off, i know it didn't cause it, you know it didn't cause it even your service writer knows it didn't cause it. But i wouldn't be even the least bit shocked if that engineer voids it's coverage the second he sees it attached to the motor. 

 

Just a quick question but i wonder how many people even realize that this current government EPA has bills out right now looking to not only make it illegal to own a street legal track car, but to make things like custom tunes, superchargers, turbos anything that modifies a stock engine essentially illegal. I'm just amazed on a site like this i have not seen a single thread on this unless i missed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, well lesson learned on the can. My wife said the same thing. If I am paying out of pocket, this thing is getting traded in for another brand. GM will have lost another formerly loyal customer.

 

Interestingly, starting to get emails about doing a customer survey. Waiting to see how this resolves itself.

 

And, the engineer didn't show today. So, will probably be another week plus.😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

 

Truck has now been at the truck since last Wednesday. They are still waiting for the engineer that was supposed to show last Friday to show up. No ETA. MyChevy app is now reporting no issues with the truck but they don't want to return it to me until the engineer looks at it.

 

I have owned this truck 9 weeks. It has spent two weeks at the dealer (two one week instances) plus 4 same day appointments. It has 1600 miles on it, of which the dealer put 200 troubleshooting. 🤬

 

Does anyone have a good phone number for me to call GM directly???

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Stephen Gaze said:

Update:

 

Truck has now been at the truck since last Wednesday. They are still waiting for the engineer that was supposed to show last Friday to show up. No ETA. MyChevy app is now reporting no issues with the truck but they don't want to return it to me until the engineer looks at it.

 

I have owned this truck 9 weeks. It has spent two weeks at the dealer (two one week instances) plus 4 same day appointments. It has 1600 miles on it, of which the dealer put 200 troubleshooting. 🤬

 

Does anyone have a good phone number for me to call GM directly???

 

Might be time for a lawyer actually, the 800 gm number is not going to do much for you imo, maybe at the most offer a certificate for accessories but they prob won't do much other than check in with your dealer and most likely give you the same info you already have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final update: NEW ENGINE 

 

So, engineer finally showered yesterday (was supposed to be last Friday). Did some tests with specialized equipment. Determined that the engine needs to be replaced. Something about timing teeth on crank being too thick. I have a feeling there is more than that.

 

No word when they will have new engine. Engineer determined that catch can had no issue. I swung by dealer yesterday to help service writer remove catch can. Spent 1/2 hour fighting connection on manifold and could not get it off. Didn’t want to break anything.  Will call JLT on that on.

 

Wife is also concerned how replacement engine will affect value. May also mess with summer vacation plans that involved towing a trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 7:33 AM, SteveG said:

Final update: NEW ENGINE 

 

So, engineer finally showered yesterday (was supposed to be last Friday). Did some tests with specialized equipment. Determined that the engine needs to be replaced. Something about timing teeth on crank being too thick. I have a feeling there is more than that.

 

No word when they will have new engine. Engineer determined that catch can had no issue. I swung by dealer yesterday to help service writer remove catch can. Spent 1/2 hour fighting connection on manifold and could not get it off. Didn’t want to break anything.  Will call JLT on that on.

 

Wife is also concerned how replacement engine will affect value. May also mess with summer vacation plans that involved towing a trailer.

Values lol, Steve my now 8 year old truck is worth nearly what i paid for the thing. Truck values are through the roof, and i wouldn't worry to much on decreased values right now.

 

A total replacement is about as best of an outcome you could of hoped for here imo, they shouldn't mess to much up if anything unplugging and replugging in a new engine.Taking cylinder heads off and ripping a motor down is what i wouldn't want. especially in a unclean environment like a dealership shop floor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Update. Truck is home. 😀 Done about 40 miles so far with no issues. MPG is up and truck does feel a bit smoother. 

 

GM has been in contact with me and I will be calling them this afternoon re compensation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.