In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Upgrading to HD backup camera

Hi guys, 

I just picked up a 2021 RST and realized it dosn’t have the same HD back up camera as the one I test drove.   I was wondering if the HD camera is a drop in replacement or are there other considerations.
(I have the 8”  non Bose radio)

thanks 

Edited by kipper1012

I guess that would beg the question what the native resolution of the current screen is 🤔

the back up camera picture now is pretty crappy but I don’t think the picture quality is related to the screen as much as the camera.  

Camera should have ground, power and a signal wire, I can’t imaging that would change depending on the different cameras. Also I can’t imagine the mounting and hole size would differ as that would add more to production costs. 

Do you happen to know what the RPO for the HD camera is? Or what packages its automatically included on? my truck should have it, but I'm quite disappointed with the quality of the cameras other than the rear view mirror camera, its massively better than all of the other cameras.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, kodiakdenali said:

Do you happen to know what the RPO for the HD camera is? Or what packages its automatically included on? my truck should have it, but I'm quite disappointed with the quality of the cameras other than the rear view mirror camera, its massively better than all of the other cameras.

LT and RST need the convenience 2 package...I believe it’s standard on ltz and up and not available on customs or WT 

Yes....conv 2 pkg or preferred pkg (GMC)

had it on my 2500 but don't on elevation 1500 I just got.....longer I have the truck the more I miss the features....

always buy interior the exterior is easy

It's only $1300.....well worth it imo vs hacking it in for twice the cost later.....