Possible to trade composite springs for steel springs? 1:1 swap?

Been looking into the GM 2 in lift kit (to stay within warranty) but have the 5.3L LT version that isn't compatible due to having composite springs. Noticed that GM is selling steel springs in order to bypass this issue, but it's half the price of the lift kit itself.

If composite springs are supposed to provide a more comfortable ride (is that true?) then would it be possible to swap composite springs with another member who was interested in the composite ride, but had no interest in lifting the truck?

In the parts description of the steel springs, it has the description below listed.. What does "Not intended for standalone installations" mean? Are the composite/steel springs not a 1:1 swap?

• Enables the installation of a Chevrolet Performance 2-Inch Lift Kit (sold separately) on MY2019+ Silverado 1500 trucks factory equipped with composite overload leaf springs
  • Full Steel Leaf Spring Kit offers a direct replacement for the production composite leaf spring packs
  • Not intended for standalone installations

They should be a stand alone swap.  There's no difference in the other parts that GM offers.

That line may be due to the difficulty of it.  Leaf spring swaps aren't hard but the parts are heavy, long, and often the bolts aren't able to come out with the fuel tank in place on some vehicles.

GM wouldn't recommend using a composite spring with lift kit but I would bet it still works fine....I sure see alot of LT lifts around my area and positive they aren't all done with high end kits....

Cannot see why it wouldn't work with a composite spring tbh....what warranty issue could it possibly effect?...its a leaf spring

Understand peeps being a lil sketched out but it operates like a normal leaf spring...putting a block under it isn't gonna change surface area it already sits on stock....just lil bit higher....its a way for GM to sell LT trail bosses and not letting customers make their own imo

Edited by Dunn

On 5/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, khays said:

Enables the installation of a Chevrolet Performance 2-Inch Lift Kit (sold separately) on MY2019+ Silverado 1500 trucks factory equipped with composite overload leaf springs

• Full Steel Leaf Spring Kit offers a direct replacement for the production composite leaf spring packs
  • Not intended for standalone installations

I think what they are saying is that if you intend to lift your truck and buy this kit then yes the steel springs are 1:1 swap with the composite springs. However if you buy the kit just for the springs and not lift your truck they will not work since they are meant to used in conjunction with the lift kit. This is because they were made with the 2in of lift in mind and not stock height. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, GreatWhiteMexican said:

I think what they are saying is that if you intend to lift your truck and buy this kit then yes the steel springs are 1:1 swap with the composite springs. However if you buy the kit just for the springs and not lift your truck they will not work since they are meant to used in conjunction with the lift kit. This is because they were made with the 2in of lift in mind and not stock height. 

got it, that makes sense

On 6/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, Dunn said:

GM wouldn't recommend using a composite spring with lift kit but I would bet it still works fine....I sure see alot of LT lifts around my area and positive they aren't all done with high end kits....

Cannot see why it wouldn't work with a composite spring tbh....what warranty issue could it possibly effect?...its a leaf spring

Understand peeps being a lil sketched out but it operates like a normal leaf spring...putting a block under it isn't gonna change surface area it already sits on stock....just lil bit higher....its a way for GM to sell LT trail bosses and not letting customers make their own imo

i'm less worried about it working and more about it voiding the warranty. But for 1800 total before labor, probably worth just waiting for the warranty to be up, or nearly up, before going ahead and getting a better lift for the money