In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4wd with the 4L60-e 4 speed transmission. Currently I have no speedometer and despite the transmission shifting very well, it skips second gear consistently (no intermittent functioning). This is the ONLY gear that it has issues with (reverse and the rest of the gears are good). Here is the story... I bought this truck being told the transmission was shot. Initially it would not shift past 1st and also had a functioning reverse. I had the tranny swapped with an equivalent from a suburban. It improved slightly but still there is no speedometer or second gear. NO ENGINE CODES have come up throughout this entire time including prior to tranny being swapped (this includes no ABS lights). 

Here are the different problems I have found on the internet that I have tried to rule out:

• VSS- A mechanic with a good computer states that all 3 Vehicle Speed Sensors read correct speeds in real time on the road
  • Ignition switch- Already changed
  • Fuses/relays- All appear to be intact and functioning
  • Dash cluster- broken connections fixed restoring all function besides speedometer
  • Transmission treatment- Lucas treatment put in in case this could be a sticky solenoid to no avail
  • Grounds- All appear to be in excellent condition and no frayed wires visible 
  • Low Voltage- New battery in place

Help me out! What I can see as being my next options are either changing out the ECU or the wiring harness, neither of which I am desiring to do. Any recommendations from your experience that I may have missed in my internet reading?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ken M.
      I've had my truck for 10 days. Many things are great , it's the 2021
      Crew cab, 5.3ecotech v-8 RST Z71. I now have 670 miles, none off- road.
      I traded in my 2006 Z71 at 168,000miles.
      This new truck has alot of rattles, I wasn't expecting that.
      What is it? It's coming from the middle or rear of the truck. Maybe the back seats and or the tailgate.
      Another rattle is up front around the brakes or tires.
      Anyone else have this going on?
    • By Abdulla Muhsen
      Dear All,
      I've changed the original belt driven radiator cooling fan in my GMC Sierra 2004 to an electrical driven type and want to know what is the best alternator to install to overcome the amp loss without adding/modifying alt. bracket/holder or wiring connections please?

Regards,
    • By Schwab7767
      Story: transmission overheated @ 60k miles. Warranty replaced with new transmission.  I’ve had the vehicle (2018 suburban LT 4x4) since new and always sit around 190 degrees give or take and back and fourth around 200 when towing. With the new transmission I keep hitting 210 up to 220 driving around town and not driving hard. I haven’t towed yet but tow often and I  am very concerned and afraid to tow. I just finished a thermostat delete to test that out and driving for about 30 min around town and freeway it was over 190 and climbing. It took a while to get there compared to normal but still got hot.  Dealership has no clue and the transmission shop has no clue. I need help in figuring out what could be causing the heat. I am so for an oil change and my AC blow nice and cold.  
    • By GMSierraGuy
      I saw this video comparing most GMC Sierra 1500  exhaust but still cannot decide.

https://youtu.be/UQsP4qnVbOM?t=61

Any tips on the best GMC Sierra 1500 exhaust? hp? sound?

I would appreciate hearing from those that already upgraded their exhaust.

• By TyGriff13
      Welcome to my build! 

Started with a 2019 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4wd 5.3L, which I bought with 9k miles on her in August of 2020. Got a crazy good deal on it, justified me driving to Georgia from Houston to pick it up. It even came with the Ranch Hand front bumper on it already, other than that she was stock. 

Little bit of background on my past trucks, I've been fortunate to own quite a few: 07 JK Wrangler, 08 Silverado 1500 LT Z71, 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71, 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT w/ 6.2L, 2016 Denali 2500 Duramax, 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, and finally my 2019 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71. I also have my 2015 ZL1 Camaro for a little bit of fun on the side, my wife has gone off to German side and is rocking her Porsche Cayenne. 

So here's the current list of mods: 
      4" Zone Lift kit w/ Fox rear shocks  35x11.50's Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock 20's  Front and back Ranch Hand bumpers Hooker Blackheart Cat-back exhaust utilizing factory dual tips K&N Series 63 cold air intake  Rough Country Automatic drop down steps Camlocker Tool box Front windows tinted to match back factory tint  Front windshield tint strip  Chevy All-Weather floor liners Stubby antenna   
      Just went on a shopping spree of sorts and this is what I've got on order: 
      Boost auto parts auto fog mod Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar w/ Putco wiring harness All LED bulbs; replacing turn signals, license plate lights, and reverse lights.  And the GRAND finale, King 2.5 PRS coilovers  
      The list of things to come in the near future: 
      High Country cluster from White Audio and Media, had their Tahoe cluster in my 2017 and it was fantastic!  Waiting to order the rear King Resi PRS shocks until my checkbook bounces back a little bit. Lol Going to be putting on several LED light bars and maybe a pod or two, going to do my best to blend them into the Ranch Hands and make them as non conspicuous as possible. I'm strongly considering doing a Dyno tune w/ Kooks long tubes as well. Going to be doing ceramic tint all the way around. Limo on back windows and back glass, 15% on front windows, and 35% on the front windshield.  I've got a drop in plastic bed liner that drives me crazy, so I'll more than likely go ahead and get the bed sprayed.   
      Things I'm considering: 
      Looking into changing up the rims and trying to clear 37's when the time comes for new tires.  Blacking out the badges? Still not sold on this one... Turbo or a supercharger kit? This one would be way down the line though. Anything else that catches my attention, let me know if you can come up with anything!   
      Here is the truck from stock: