02 2wd Suburban,Transmission rebuilt 2 months ago was fine until yesterday then it acted as though it was thrown in neutral, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jmg859

Question

Hello Jeremy here from Kentucky. I have an 02 suburban half ton two wheel drive, that I just had the transmission rebuilt on barely 2 months ago. Everything seemed to be working flawlessly after I got it back, towed trailers, and other cars on dollies with no problem at all. But then yesterday within 5 minutes of leaving my house the transmission with literally no warning acted as if I had thrown it in neutral. I was able to Coast into a parking lot where it currently is still sitting. I checked the linkage it all seems fine, I tried to reset the  ECM and TCM however, that changed nothing. I thought about the neutral safety switch, but I had been told that if it were to go bad the truck would start even in gear however that is not the case. It seems the only thing that's working correctly is when I put it in park. I'm kind of stumped if anybody has any clue where I should go from here please please let me know thank you

4 answers to this question

I would be contacting the shop that installed the transmission, and have THEM tow it there. Only reason for an "out-of-the-blue" trip into neutral, besides fluid loss, is an internal transmission problem. If there's no evidence of leakage, and the fluid is at the correct dipstick level, I'd call that shop & tell them what happened. Hopefully they treat you well and take care of things from here.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, Jsdirt said:

I would be contacting the shop that installed the transmission, and have THEM tow it there. Only reason for an "out-of-the-blue" trip into neutral, besides fluid loss, is an internal transmission problem. If there's no evidence of leakage, and the fluid is at the correct dipstick level, I'd call that shop & tell them what happened. Hopefully they treat you well and take care of things from here.

Thanks so much for your time man, I thought I had pretty much exhausted all other options. I called earlier today and they are coming for it Monday. Thanks again man.

Great! Glad to hear that. No problem - glad to help.