In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Cold Air Intake Mod for 2021 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 RST 5.3

Looking at a new Cold Air system for my new Silverado.  Been looking at so many and there is a lot more out there than there ever used to be.  I don't want anything that is going to require a tune, and that was leading me to the GM factory upgrade.  However, I have seen so much on the S&B, CAI, and K&N filter systems, and I just need some advice from folks who have actually pulled the trigger on some of these.  If you've purchased one of the following below, and could share your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

The following is what I have been looking at the following:

1. Cold Air Inductions 512-0105-B 
  2. S&B 75-5128 Cold Air Intake
  3. Genuine GM Cold Air Intake 84561597
  4. K&N Cold Air Intake 63-3109

• Cold Air Inductions 512-0105-B
    • image.thumb.png.6cd637dbbe6a273bd70e7309e8fe083d.png
  • S&B 75-5128 Cold Air Intake
    • image.thumb.png.1c6c04cb75c76b53189539715dee8e75.png
  • Genuine GM Cold Air Intake 84561597 
    • image.thumb.png.16c686d9ffca41e2292e27632e7a593a.png
  • K&N Cold Air Intake 63-3109
    • image.thumb.png.28e12a7b29a958e7a88bbbfdd8ef5996.png

I have the GM kit on my truck.  I can't give you before and after comparison since I did the install immediately after picking up my truck from the dealer.  It costs more than the others you're considering because it includes a tune that you need to take your truck back to the dealership for.  The dealership should not charge you for the tune because you already paid GM for it.  In the instructions is info for the dealer on how to bill the cost of the tune to GM.  Also, replacement filters are recommended at 20,000 miles, iirc.  They run between $60-$100 depending on where you buy it from.  I've heard the kit was made in cooperation with K&N.  Biggest advantages, imo, are a factory supported tune that won't affect your warranty at all, dealership backed parts, and won't affect GM warranty at all.  Cons:  It's expensive.

I just got the k&N 71-3110 series blackhawk CAI system. I love it! Much smoother and stronger acceleration. I definitely noticed a performance increase and it looks and sounds amazing. For anyone that says it doesn't make a difference they dont know what they're talking about.

20210527_191242.jpg

10 hours ago, JDuBYA561 said:

I just got the k&N 71-3110 series blackhawk CAI system. I love it! Much smoother and stronger acceleration. I definitely noticed a performance increase and it looks and sounds amazing. For anyone that says it doesn't make a difference they dont know what they're talking about.

Did you need to have anything programmed?

3 hours ago, GarandPappy said:

Did you need to have anything programmed?

Save your money as they do NOTHING to improve performance and you already have a CAI on your truck now its just these look pretty and give you more noise making you think you have more power. As far as the programing all that does is calibrate the air filter monitor in your truck that tells you when to change the air filter that's all it does. I love it when people say they give you more power.

Actually, the programing that is included with the GM Performance intake has nothing to do with recalibrating the air filter monitor.  As part of the installation instructions, the installer is instructed to turn off the air filter monitor in the DIC.  The reprogramming is designed to adjust for the repositioned MAF sensor on the intake, which if not done (as in if you install it yourself without the reprogramming), you may encounter issues such as a decrease in MPG, and maybe the CEL lighting up.  See Zane's post at the beginning of this forum on the installation of both the GM Performance intake and exhaust.  There's also a good writeup on TruckTrends.com on the same subject.

Edited by Anacortes Army Guy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Save your money as they do NOTHING to improve performance and you already have a CAI on your truck now its just these look pretty and give you more noise making you think you have more power. As far as the programing all that does is calibrate the air filter monitor in your truck that tells you when to change the air filter that's all it does. I love it when people say they give you more power.

Actually, they do make more power. That's dyno verifiable. They also make more noise. Now, whether the 2-4% increase is worth the cost is up to the user, but they do make more power than one without it at WOT. 

• Like 1

All the guys saying no performance...

Black Bear Performance :: Intake Comparison Test Results - 2016 Direct Injection Models

Look at their dyno data driven chart.  A couple of the big names they tested they found knock retarding, some altered timing at peak horsepower, but all of them had gains in HP over stock, AFE and Airaid with the most.  

13 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

GM claims an increase in power.  Are they lying?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, JDuBYA561 said:

20210527_191242.jpg

....are you still liking the intake now after some time has passed? how much additional intake noise has it added now that its settled in and has the truck calibrated to it well? 

I got the CAI CAI and I've been very pleased with it. I don't drive WOT that often, but when I do get on the gas, it makes a righteous growl that I love. Need to get the exhaust changed out as well so it'll complement it. I didn't get a tune and I have no basis as to performance gains as I did it as soon as I got the truck.