Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I always run 93 but has anyone tried going further than that?  Wonder if the tune will allow more timing if you were to add say, 100 or 110?

 

Ran a 14.0 flat in the 1/4 mile last year and kept hitting the 97 mph speed limiter so each pass was 14 @97.  Took the speed limiter out and 'thinking' I should hit 13.9.  Another 10th wouldn't be bad :)

 

 

Oops 😬. I forgot to add this to the above post ⬆️

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Performance is the only reason people buy the 6.2. Whether it be for towing, or for stoplight acceleration, the engine exists solely because it makes more power. Sure, “fast” is a relative term, but 0

Well.......that simple question certainly got out of hand.  After reviewing all of the responses, I have decided to use the 93 octane.  Thanks for all the input.

Quite second hand information, but I thought I would share I know many members on this forum are also Corvette owners. Over on Corvetteforum I read many posts by a member who also happened to be

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

What technique did you use at the line? 4wd h? How high did you bring the revs up to before launching? I’m going to the drag strip this summer. And. Being as old as I am. I would love to leave the dragstrip with a sub 14 second pass at my advanced age. 

I havent drag raced mine as tracks are just starting to open up due to covid. But i can tell you right now, any track that has a even half assed prepped surface, you wont spon, therefore you wont need 4hi. 2wd will do just fine. And from i heard is the truck wont let you bring the rpms up if on the brake while in drive. I havent tried myself but alot of the newer vehicles will cut throttle if it detects any brake pressure. I was pissed i couldnt brake boost my evo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

What technique did you use at the line? 4wd h? How high did you bring the revs up to before launching? I’m going to the drag strip this summer. And. Being as old as I am. I would love to leave the dragstrip with a sub 14 second pass at my advanced age. 

Do what he did. Best time I’ve seen from these trucks.

 

On the street, 4 auto and just mashing the gas has given me my best 0-60 times (measured with Dragy). Personally haven’t had much luck with brake torquing. This truck just kinda falls on it’s face when I do it. My 2016 did the same thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this! I can just imagine all of the people with their 6.2L trucks racing everywhere they go, extracting EVERY OUNCE of performance from their engine. RAWR!!! Get it bro!!!

 

When in reality, what we mostly do is go to Lowe's to pick up some wood, go to the grocery store, and drive our kids to school or other activities. Which is why I'm totally satisfied with my 5.3L running regular. I'll save the speed-racer fun for when I buy my Corvette in a few years 🤣 Besides, I really do run my kids from place to place, no way in hell am I going to put them in danger by racing from stoplight to stoplight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I love this! I can just imagine all of the people with their 6.2L trucks racing everywhere they go, extracting EVERY OUNCE of performance from their engine. RAWR!!! Get it bro!!!

 

When in reality, what we mostly do is go to Lowe's to pick up some wood, go to the grocery store, and drive our kids to school or other activities. Which is why I'm totally satisfied with my 5.3L running regular. I'll save the speed-racer fun for when I buy my Corvette in a few years 🤣 Besides, I really do run my kids from place to place, no way in hell am I going to put them in danger by racing from stoplight to stoplight.

 

So will you be putting 87 in the Vette, or will you want the power you paid for by using GM's recommended fuel? 🤷‍♂️

 

For me, it makes sense to get my kicks from a truck that I can drive anywhere, any day. My TRX should be built by the end of the month so I can take that even further. All while everyone's Corvettes are sitting in their garages because the car has zero practicality and they treat it like a museum piece. Take one person at a time for a ride, but only in the summer and on a sunny day. Sounds like a riot. 💪

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

What technique did you use at the line? 4wd h? How high did you bring the revs up to before launching? I’m going to the drag strip this summer. And. Being as old as I am. I would love to leave the dragstrip with a sub 14 second pass at my advanced age. 

I tried it all and strangely enough?  Brake torqueing took 2 tenths LONGER to pass (14.2).  This was over 3 passes

Sport mode-->4wd high-->mash the throttle got the best time 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

I tried it all and strangely enough?  Brake torqueing took 2 tenths LONGER to pass (14.2).  This was over 3 passes

Sport mode-->4wd high-->mash the throttle got the best time 

My experience too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

 

So will you be putting 87 in the Vette, or will you want the power you paid for by using GM's recommended fuel? 🤷‍♂️

 

For me, it makes sense to get my kicks from a truck that I can drive anywhere, any day. My TRX should be built by the end of the month so I can take that even further. All while everyone's Corvettes are sitting in their garages because the car has zero practicality and they treat it like a museum piece. Take one person at a time for a ride, but only in the summer and on a sunny day. Sounds like a riot. 💪

That's why I have 2 wheels for those days 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OnTheReel said:

My experience too.

I kept running it over and over.  Another guy with a 6.2 came by and told me to stop my launch method and try this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I come back, post started with a simple question, which Octane is everyone using?

 

Now we have time slips, 60 foot times, launch methods, mention of a Dodge TRX, a Corvette, this baby has left the road and now is just plowing through the field out of control👍

 

Keep it up😅🤣, hopefully the OP chimes back in with his decision. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

This is why I come back, post started with a simple question, which Octane is everyone using?

 

Now we have time slips, 60 foot times, launch methods, mention of a Dodge TRX, a Corvette, this baby has left the road and now is just plowing through the field out of control👍

 

Keep it up😅🤣, hopefully the OP chimes back in with his decision. 

I mean would you rather peoples opinions with no data to back it up?  50 guys say use premium in their 6.2 just to drive stoplight to stoplight. Then you got a few guys who take advantage of the premium gas and race their truck. At least people are driving their truck in a manner that justifies using premium.  

Edited by Snakes709
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

I mean would you rather peoples opinions with no data to back it up?  50 guys say use premium in their 6.2 just to drive stoplight to stoplight. Then you got a few guys who take advantage of the premium gas and race their truck. At least people are driving their truck in a manner that justifies using premium.  

If you looked at page one, I did provide an opinion on which grade to use, I am in the camp of the higher, the better for the Octane. This my 3rd 6.2, bought them for a reason, enjoy the right pedal when the opportunity arises.

My comment was not "cutting" on anyone, just thought it was funny how these posts get off of the main subject so fast, that is why it is fun being a member here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

 

So will you be putting 87 in the Vette, or will you want the power you paid for by using GM's recommended fuel? 🤷‍♂️

 

For me, it makes sense to get my kicks from a truck that I can drive anywhere, any day. My TRX should be built by the end of the month so I can take that even further. All while everyone's Corvettes are sitting in their garages because the car has zero practicality and they treat it like a museum piece. Take one person at a time for a ride, but only in the summer and on a sunny day. Sounds like a riot. 💪

LOL! The Vette will be a track car and weekend cruiser to the Tail of the Dragon and will definitely be filled with premium. The truck is a grocery getter/wood hauler/daily driver. I didn't buy my truck to race to every stoplight, kinda silly to do that in a truck IMO. I kinda like to buy things for their original purpose (sports car for racing, truck for hauling). Just calling out the people here who say to always use premium for their truck when I suspect the majority don't need to. But you do you bro! 🤜

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 93 because the owners manual recommends it.  Running premium vs regular isn't just a matter of what I can afford or want to spend, it's recommended.  I change my oil about every 5,000 miles which may be sooner than recommended, but I use 0-20 oil like is recommended. I guess I could use cheaper oil and would be ok, or change it every 10,000 miles and it would be ok.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

LOL! The Vette will be a track car and weekend cruiser to the Tail of the Dragon and will definitely be filled with premium. The truck is a grocery getter/wood hauler/daily driver. I didn't buy my truck to race to every stoplight, kinda silly to do that in a truck IMO. I kinda like to buy things for their original purpose (sports car for racing, truck for hauling). Just calling out the people here who say to always use premium for their truck when I suspect the majority don't need to. But you do you bro! 🤜


I know you think it’s silly to have a fast truck. That’s fine. But the purpose of the 6.2 option is performance. The only reason it exists. So if someone buys it, they should want everything they can get out of their added investment. 

 

Put it different way while beating this dead horse…If you’re that concerned about saving a few bucks per fill up by running the wrong gas in your 6.2, wouldn’t it be smarter to save $2500 and get the 5.3 instead? It not only uses 87, but it uses a lot less of it too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.