DRL’s (daytime running lights) stopped working after lightning strike 40 feet away

The daytime running lights on my ‘16 Silverado WT won’t do their job. I’ve checked all three fuse box locations to find not a single bad fuse. The LED DRL boards still work when I turn the parking lights on via switch.

I’ve searched for a DRL module but can’t locate one.

the lightning strike also took out one of the headlights and a turn signal, strangely on opposite sides. The turn signal builds are LED’s now. 

I isolated the headlight issue by switching the good bulb to the bad location to rule out ballast issue and have order another set of LED 7443..

the DRL issue has stumped me. 

Edited by 16-K2XX-WT

4 hours ago, 16-K2XX-WT said:

Silverado SID, thanks! 

Ten four, the headlights activated last night on their own.  I did try to shine a flashlight on the sensor last night and it didn’t turn them off.. 

If they kicked on by themselves, I would say the sensor is ok.

I have never had the flashlight trick work to shut them off. Do you have a garage, pull in let them turn on, then back out into the daylight to see if they shut off.

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

If they kicked on by themselves, I would say the sensor is ok.

I have never had the flashlight trick work to shut them off. Do you have a garage, pull in let them turn on, then back out into the daylight to see if they shut off.

i just removed then reinstalled the light sensor and was able to actuate the lights automatically.

I just removed the “bad” right side turn LED and socket and tried it in the left side and it worked. 

I believe I have checked all the fuses and am know trying to find the modules or relays… I 

• Like 1

Possibly have it narrowed down to body control module. The new signal bulbs arrived then I used the “bad” one in the good side and it worked fine. 

cant find a relay or module other than the BCM…

going to see if there are any codes in the computer via free scan tool at advance auto… 

new vehicle suck to work on with all their new tech…. 

Paid for “just answer “ expert help, 45$ phone call versus 85$ an hour service at a shop.

ruled an issue with the BCM.

found someone in the Midwest that will take the old one and program the a new one for $200. 

if any one cares, I’ll keep posting 

If y’all are still tuned to this thread, it was the BCM that was affected by the lightning. I have yet to disassemble the bad one to see if there is visible damage. If so, I’ll post a photo.. 

thank for the help folks! 

HAPPY TRUCKIN’ 

• Like 3