2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 - What size camper can I tow?

I am currently in the market for a camper and I am wondering how much weight I can tow. I have 2019 Silverado RST 5.3 V8 crew cab short bed. 

GVWR 7100lbs

GCWR 15000lbs

GAWR RR 3800lbs

Max Payload 1819lbs

Max Tongue Weight 960lbs

Curb Weight 5281lbs

The camper I am looking at has a dry weight of 6300lbs and GVWR of 9,480lbs (no intent to load our camper down or travel with full tanks). Hitch weight of the camper is 680lbs.

We typically travel light with basic necessities for hook up campgrounds (clothes, food, chairs). 

any help would be great!

8FB80262-080F-412E-8DA0-459359C88E34.jpeg

16268465-C2AF-42E9-870F-99F371792C49.png

Edited by Bcoyle21

• Bcoyle21 changed the title to 2019 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 - What size camper can I tow?

My 2020 Silverado has similar weight limits.  You're going to receive several responses to your query, but for my two cents worth I will say that is too much trailer for your truck.  The reasons are several.  First, and foremost, the dry tongue weight listed on most/many travel trailers is light in that it does not include filled propane tanks nor the weight of the battery, or batteries if it comes with more than one. The tongue weight of the trailer is included in your truck's payload capacity.  Plus the weight of all passengers, luggage, accessories, anything that didn't come with your truck off the assembly line (pets).  Half ton trucks often will run out of payload before they get to the sticker limits you quoted above.  Some weight can be placed in the trailer to help offset that to some extent.  You didn't state how long that trailer is, but I will guess it's around 26 feet long, or thereabouts, and that it a big sail behind your truck subject to crosswinds and buffeting from large trucks, etc.  Some on this forum will suggest that the "sweet spot" for a half ton truck is somewhere between 5k and 6.5k for a fully loaded trailer, and I will agree with that position, but I'm the cautious type, maybe to a fault.  You would certainly need a WDH with that trailer.  And if you plan on taking a trailer over mountainous terrain/passes, that's another factor to consider.  Bottomline, I honestly feel that trailer is more appropriate for a three quarter ton truck, but yes, you could pull it, but I wouldn't.  Having said all that, you see trucks pulling loads they shouldn't all of the time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I am most definitely looking to add a WDH to the setup to support. My family weighs around 240lbs** and our luggage would be very little (200lbs as we pack light). From what I can find online the truck can safely tow around 9500lbs. This would be significantly less than the added payload and loaded trailer. We don’t plan to travel more than 1 hour 30 minutes away. I have several friends with half ton truck towing 6000lbs+ with no issues. The trailer is a total length of 32’ 11” tongue to tire. 

You have a sticker on the bottom of your door frame (driver's side) that lists your truck's weight capacities, including the max tow weight.  It's most likely 9600lbs, given your max tongue weight, and mirrors my truck's max weight.  Whatever trailer you get, you should drive it across a Cat (or similar) scale, to get accurate weights.  There are lots of websites that explain how to compute tongue weight, etc.  I personally use a Sherwin scale to weigh my camper's tongue, but there's other ways to do it, just use one of them.  I drive my truck and trailer across a state DOT scale after loading, and weigh each axle, both for the truck and the camper, to ensure I have the weight distributed evenly.  Be mindful of your GCWR (15000lbs) as with the trailer you're considering you may find yourself approaching it.  Good luck.

You would probably get more replies if you posted this topic in the main Silverado/Sierra 1500 forum rather than this sub-forum.  If you haven't already done so, there are several threads on that forum in the first 5-6 pages that might be of intertest to you that concern towing.  One titled "Towing Pics" on page 5 or 6 of the main Silverado/Sierra 1500 forum might show someone with a similar-sized trailer you're looking at who you could then contact if you had some specific questions.

i run a cargo trailer 18footer and a 2016 1500 5.3, havent weighed it, i'm guessing loaded trailer is 4000lbs. on my set up. AUW with gear is 7500-9000lbs tops.

you are definatly at the limits with that trailer. I would look at a 5th wheel trailer if your gonna keep the truck, or start looking for a 2500HD if your gonna keep the trailer.  i drove the 2500 on a trip with a heavy trailer and the better brakes , stiffer tires and suspension gives you so much more confidance .

I had a very similar setup. I had the round bar WDH with chains. It didn't work that good. Switched to husky centerline and I was okay going 65mph. I wont take it across country or drive fast. The engine didn't feel under powered And I was able to stop. Just didn't feel I was stable enoughIMG_20200904_131002.thumb.jpg.e601c11a7cb72b814e16241a79d498be.jpg

• Haha 1

yeah pulling trailer cross country you want the 2500 truck,  week end warriors who pull a trailer once  every 6 months 100 miles , your good with the 1500. 

overall the 2500 is a better truck for doing "truck stuff" 

1500 has the power but not the torque, towing requires torque and a stable suspension.. 

Edited by pokismoki

23 hours ago, Moend said:

I had a very similar setup. I had the round bar WDH with chains. It didn't work that good. Switched to husky centerline and I was okay going 65mph. I wont take it across country or drive fast. The engine didn't feel under powered And I was able to stop. Just didn't feel I was stable enoughIMG_20200904_131002.thumb.jpg.e601c11a7cb72b814e16241a79d498be.jpg

Is that setup using a weight distribution system?

You'll be fine with that trailer. 

I have a considerable larger/heavier setup with no issues. Careful observation of weights at the scales to make sure the trucks GAWRs, GVWRs and GCWRs aren't exceeded is key. It is possible to max out any one of those three without getting to the trucks maximum towing capacity of 9---- lbs.

Equipment requirements include, trailer brake controller, weight distribution and sway control. Plus proper loading of payload to achieve proper tongue weight/distribution in/on the trailer and proper hitch set up.

Don't be surprised if that curb weight goes up with passengers and other stuff, this will lessen the available truck payload for tongue weight (GVWR).

Three trips to the scale are recommended, once truck by itself with typical passengers and equipment. once with the trailer attached without weight distribution and finally with weight distribution. This will tell you how much weight is being placed on the truck, and transferred via the weight distribution system.  

Weight distribution and sway control can be one piece of equipment or separate. Typically, the chain set ups will need an additional sway control device. 

Edited by asilverblazer

On 6/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, Moend said:

that thing looks very unstable, did you correct for any out of balance on the trailer tounge?