GM Performance Air Intake System Recall N212333800

I had my truck in for a mode selector issue. When I got it back they said they took care of the recall. It’s a CA emissions issue so I was worried about affecting performance. I don’t live in CA so it kinda pissed me off. The factory cold air intake is CA approved. I don’t understand what exactly changes in the ECM program?

I don’t notice any difference in 0-100 WOT really but I haven’t tried towing yet

8 minutes ago, milkmaster said:

IS this the same thing as the performance intake?  Mine has a bigger intake filter. 

image.png.1d0c5617185e11c5faf8996173c3df4e.png

No, the Z71/X31 use a deeper “high capacity” filter in the normal air box. The performance intake is totally different. Has a straight tube with no resonator, a clear lid, and a round filter.

28 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

No, the Z71/X31 use a deeper “high capacity” filter in the normal air box. The performance intake is totally different. Has a straight tube with no resonator, a clear lid, and a round filter.

Ok thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, L87Powered said:

Any other input on this recall? I don't want to do it, truck runs fine without it and don't want to negativity impact performance to comply with California emissions.

Don't bother IMHO

I'm running an S&B which is even less restrictive with zero issues.

15 hours ago, L87Powered said:

Any other input on this recall? I don't want to do it, truck runs fine without it and don't want to negativity impact performance to comply with California emissions.

This recall merely does the ECM update that is an integral part of the installation process for the performance intake, but some dealers failed to complete the installation properly and do the update, which is clearly stated in the installation instructions.  The ECM update accounts for the repositioned MAF sensor, and helps prevent potential issues, such as what Zane encountered after a week or so after installing his (see the mod sub-forum and his post (sticky) on installation of both the performance exhaust and intake - go to the 18:44 portion of the video).  Lots of people have installed cold air intakes of various makes without any kind of ECM update and apparently haven't had any issue, but GM's is designed to include the update.  My truck runs fine with it, and certainly better than when it was stock.  I imagine if you get a CEL and take it to the dealer, or for that matter take it to the dealer for anything, they'll know that this update hasn't been completed yet for your vehicle and will do it anyway.

Edited by Anacortes Army Guy
  • Like 1