No 4wd lights on my 4WD selector switches. 1999 GMC Sierra 1500

So I just got a 1999 Sierra 1500 4x4. None of the lights are on on the 4wd selector switches. Everything I've researched is showing this is a common issues paired with a Service 4wd notification on the dash however I do not have the service 4wd notification on the dash. I've checked the fuses and they are fine. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, joshhmclaughlin said:

So I just got a 1999 Sierra 1500 4x4. None of the lights are on on the 4wd selector switches. Everything I've researched is showing this is a common issues paired with a Service 4wd notification on the dash however I do not have the service 4wd notification on the dash. I've checked the fuses and they are fine. Any ideas?

you can try to unplug the switch, start the truck with it unplugged, then shut it off, and try plugging it in again.  I am guessing you know that only the range you are in lights up, ie 2 wd will light up when in 2.  Neutral will only light up when in neutral, 4 wd lights up only when its in 4 wd.  I figure you know that but I had to say it.  The next thing you have to determine is if you are actually switching into 4 wd.  If not you may have a bad switch, which is the cheapest part associated with this problem, or maybe a bad actuator.  If you dont want to throw money at the problem, be sure to check the grounds associated with the 4 wd system.  I know one specifically is located under the truck just about the front fender and the drivers door, on the frame.