Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hate the Soft roll up


Recommended Posts

Always liked the soft tri-folds.  One downfall was folding them up and they took up about 2ft of bed space.  Well went and got a soft roll up and just hate everything about it.  Not looking to spend a grand on something like this.  Are there tri-folds that have the hinge that allows it to stick up while driving down the road thus giving me more bed space. 

 

Worst case Ill get the trifold and deal with it being in the way a few times a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the Extang Trifecta on my previous truck and loved it. It was so easy to remove that the few occasions I needed that extra 2ft I just removed the top entirely. If I had to do that frequently, it would definitely become an issue. I haven't purchased a topper for my new truck yet. But, in looking around I seem to recall seeing some that fold up at the cab. However, I think those have their own rail systems inside the truck rails. I've ruled those out because I need all the clearance I can get for my fifth wheel pinbox on hard turns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a backflip MX4 on my last two trucks and like the flexibility of it. It will fold up against the cab with some spongy material so it doesn't damage anything and is held up by two little arms similar to a manual hood prop. It always seals fairly well and only leaks in extreme storms or a carwash. Even then it's minimal and while the definition doesn't fit here, I call that waterproof for a tonneau cover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, Njmurvin said:

I had the Extang Trifecta on my previous truck and loved it. It was so easy to remove that the few occasions I needed that extra 2ft I just removed the top entirely. If I had to do that frequently, it would definitely become an issue. I haven't purchased a topper for my new truck yet. But, in looking around I seem to recall seeing some that fold up at the cab. However, I think those have their own rail systems inside the truck rails. I've ruled those out because I need all the clearance I can get for my fifth wheel pinbox on hard turns.

 

 

There are few that fold to the cab,  the MX4 is one,  but nothing Im willing to part with a grand over.  I just bought and extang or rough country tri fold, same concept as the rest of them.  Last few trucks were half tons with 5.5 beds, and would only allow 2.5 ft of space per say.  The 2500 with a 6'8" bed allows for close to 5ft, and its not something I am doing all the time, so I will just deal with folding it up and taking it off the few times a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, jeetS said:

What did you hate about the soft roll up?

 

It was a soft roll up.  Im a descent DIY guy and to start this thing was a pain to get installed,  may have helped with another hand, but getting it in place where it should go took forever.  next is when rolling it up it always wants to roll uneven,  may work better with two guys one each side.  Next is unrolling it,  it never unrolls right first time, as one side will have to much velcro and the other not enough.  The concept is just worthless in many aspects vs the trifold,  only benefit is it will roll up to the cab. 

 

I am not even to winter yet, where snow ice clocks up the velcro etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, nards444 said:

 

It was a soft roll up.  Im a descent DIY guy and to start this thing was a pain to get installed,  may have helped with another hand, but getting it in place where it should go took forever.  next is when rolling it up it always wants to roll uneven,  may work better with two guys one each side.  Next is unrolling it,  it never unrolls right first time, as one side will have to much velcro and the other not enough.  The concept is just worthless in many aspects vs the trifold,  only benefit is it will roll up to the cab. 

 

I am not even to winter yet, where snow ice clocks up the velcro etc.

 

What brand did you try? I have a Truxedo Lopro and don't experience any of the issues you talk about when opening and closing mine by myself. I installed it myself in maybe 1 hour. I would never want any other folding cover that blocks more of my bed when open.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

 

What brand did you try? I have a Truxedo Lopro and don't experience any of the issues you talk about when opening and closing mine by myself. I installed it myself in maybe 1 hour. I would never want any other folding cover that blocks more of my bed when open.

mine was a lund.  seems quality made.  But mine is also on a 2500 with a 6'8",  bed height and width might be making a difference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, nards444 said:

mine was a lund.  seems quality made.  But mine is also on a 2500 with a 6'8",  bed height and width might be making a difference

I have a tuxedo deuce on my 2500 with the 6"8" box.   installed easy the one thing i like most about the deuce is that you can open it at the front of the box just behind the cab and fold it back so you don't have to roll it up to get at things that move forward in the bed.  makes that new forward box step real handy in the 2020 Chevy.   High quality and easy to install  At least  that's my experience.  I had one on the truck before this one too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a trifold hardtop and it will fold all the say up to the cab and is supported by two metal arms to keep it upright against the cab and out of the way.  It locks nicely and stays completely dry so far in hard rain or a car wash.  It is sturdy enough for me to stand on as well if I had to.  It is been an outstanding cover.  I got it new off of eBay for $650.  Well worth it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, HiggySTL said:

I have a trifold hardtop and it will fold all the say up to the cab and is supported by two metal arms to keep it upright against the cab and out of the way.  It locks nicely and stays completely dry so far in hard rain or a car wash.  It is sturdy enough for me to stand on as well if I had to.  It is been an outstanding cover.  I got it new off of eBay for $650.  Well worth it!

brand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.