Sold my truck, post to the future new owner

2 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

I work 2 miles from my house, my truck rarely sees long rides, but I've used it for a number of hauling items for my home.
I'll be on a road trip to Colorado next month to help my Mom after my Dad passed away so I'm gonna put it through its paces. Gotta pick up some tool boxes and other stuff yet to discover.
You'll need a truck, one day, you just never know.

Well I think you just helped me make my decision. Big Red is staying home! Its always nice to have that feedback from fellow truck owners. Thanks!!

• Like 1

Just now, BattleBorn iZ said:

Well I think you just helped me make my decision. Big Red is staying home! Its always nice to have that feedback from fellow truck owners. Thanks!!

I still have my BMW and owned many nice cars over my life, but getting this truck brought me back to what I did in my 20s. I had a 65 Corvette, a 68 Cougar, a 70 Z28 Camaro, but this was always my favorite.

78 truck.jpg

Just now, MikeBMW said:

I still have my BMW and owned many nice cars over my life, but getting this truck brought me back to what I did in my 20s. I had a 65 Corvette, a 68 Cougar, a 70 Z28 Camaro, but this was always my favorite.

78 truck.jpg

Aw man that’s a classic! A legend right there! Now that’s a truck with real muscle. No tech to stop or limit it hahaha

• Like 1

Just now, BattleBorn iZ said:

Aw man that’s a classic! A legend right there! Now that’s a truck with real muscle. No tech to stop or limit it hahaha

Yep! It was a lot of fun, except I kept blowing CV joints but it was easy to fix as there was no need to jack up the truck.
Still, we're getting off-topic, sorry. _)

4 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

78 truck.jpg

What was the  lift on that?

I had a 85 w 6" lift and 36" Gumbo Monster Mudders brand new. Those trucks were easy and cheap to lift. I had under 3 grand into the lift and tires/wheels.

• Like 1

Tried the multi quote, for whatever reason it wasnt working. 

BMW - Ill find a higher mileage one for a bit less money. There are plenty out there and I am familiar with them not being made anymore. 

I had looked at trading in the truck last year right around the COVID nonsense and if I recall trade-in at the time was 27k. To own and drive the truck almost 5 years and 62k miles and sell it for 3k less than I paid just seemed like the peak. Tried my best to sell and give someone a decent deal but not many takers. Maybe the market is at a peak. Best case, dealer cant sell it, market gets flooded and I buy it back at 30k. Right now the truck is closer to a 25-30k truck then increasing in value more to 45k is my opinion of the market. 

Hard part is most who buy a truck at 40k+ need financing. They typically buy trucks at a dealer where they can do it all in one place - and get taken for more money. Low trade in from KBB was 38k and mine needed a windshield replacement. The KBB instant offer was surprisingly easy. I did carmax, vroom and carvana. Carmax offered 35k. Chevrolet dealer 36.2 and the KBB was 37k and gave me a list of dealers to choose from. In and out in 10 minutes. Picked up the check later that day. No muss, no fuss. Left some meat on the bone for the dealer. No worries about the check clearing my bank. Living close to Mexico there is a lot of vehicle fraud/theft - fake checks/MO etc. By the time the check clears your vehicle is over the border and gone. 

I had added a bedrug, topper (vinyl peeling), airlift kit, rear bilsteins and put on new Michelins end of 2019. Otherwise oil changes and filter changes. Used half the extended warranty - should get $800 back on it. Paid 2500 in sales tax and license over 5 years. If I added it up, maybe $6500-7k after selling is what it cost me for 62k miles and nearly 5 years. 

Whoever buys the truck will get a dependable truck with a hint of shake at 70-75 but was taken care of. They will overpay my asking price by a few k and pay more than I paid for it new. 

Anyone interested in selling, now might be a good time to at least explore if you can wait to buy something else. Luckily I have 5 other cars to drive for now. Cant tow at the moment but I dont tow often since our local drag strip closed due to COVID. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

78 truck.jpg

That's an old Cheyenne isn't it? My Dad had a 73 yellow and white back in the day. LTHs, glasspacks and no tails. You couldn't talk in her unless you were yelling. Sadly I wrecked it as a stupid teen head on with an old GMC stepside.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

What was the  lift on that?

I had a 85 w 6" lift and 36" Gumbo Monster Mudders brand new. Those trucks were easy and cheap to lift. I had under 3 grand into the lift and tires/wheels.

Hi, Jim, I had a 6" body lift (I worked in a machine shop at the time so I took leftover 3" diameter sections old stainless steel rod cut-offs and drilled them out for the mounts on the body lift and fabricated the transmission shift lever rod extension).
Sourced longer bolts from a local supplier - made sure to get the high strength bolts, I don't recall the grade.
I had another shop cut the steering arm and gusset and weld it for a higher connection to the Pittman arm.
I had the springs re-arced and drive shafts lengthened at a local shop for another 6" lift - so 12" inches, overall, not including the 40" Gumbos. :D

Edited by MikeBMW

5 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

That's an old Cheyenne isn't it? My Dad had a 73 yellow and white back in the day. LTHs, glasspacks and no tails. You couldn't talk in her unless you were yelling. Sadly I wrecked it as a stupid teen head on with an old GMC stepside.

The model was actually a Scottsdale.
Thanks for the recollection on your Dad's '73, sad ending but a great story nonetheless. :)

Very sad. Had the old turbine mag wheels on it also. Ahh the days before they thought they needed to shove computers in everything lol. At one point we had a camper shell on the back and went camping in that old truck. Had a bed built into the bed and everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byrds8 said:

Very sad. Had the old turbine mag wheels on it also. Ahh the days before they thought they needed to shove computers in everything lol. At one point we had a camper shell on the back and went camping in that old truck. Had a bed built into the bed and everything.

My Dad owned an RV manufacturer (we took many trips with campers and 5th wheel trailers - my first time in a hotel was when I was 20 - we since switched to manufactured houses).
Lot's of great memories. I took a trip to Michigan in a brand new camper and a brand new Chevy truck back in 1982. The truck was what my Dad had at the time and he put a brand new camper on it for my trip - I had to pull the plastic off of the mattresses.
Again, great memories.
I've found, years later, no matter how many rides one has, a truck is a necessity! :)

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

Wanted to update. Didnt plan on buying a new vehicle this fast but found a Silverado 2500 2011 115k miles one owner Texas at a dealer. They were asking what seemed like a good price given the market. $17999. Had a recent accident where it was hit right rear while it was parked, no airbag deployment and not totaled. . Repaired. Guessing people turned off by the accident. Out the door with TTL 19200 shipped to me. 

Ran it through autoauction.io but no results. Guessing prior owner fixed it and traded it in. Hard to say. Bought it sight unseen after facebook video walk-through as it is across the state from me. To keep my hopes in check Ill just assume a Cigar smoker owned it and let their cat live in it. Only changed the oil once since new. 

LT trim, luxury and tech package. Thing is as loaded as the 2500 can get. Even has a sunroof but I prefer it didnt. Wrong color combo black on tan. Carfax has lots of maintenance all at the same local mechanic shop near where it was bought new. 

Looking forward to a transmission that shifts better and more consistent. An engine without AFM or DOD. Not looking forward to the mileage. I do tow at times which is why I picked it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovineplane said:

Wanted to update. Didnt plan on buying a new vehicle this fast but found a Silverado 2500 2011 115k miles one owner Texas at a dealer. They were asking what seemed like a good price given the market. $17999. Had a recent accident where it was hit right rear while it was parked, no airbag deployment and not totaled. . Repaired. Guessing people turned off by the accident. Out the door with TTL 19200 shipped to me. 

Ran it through autoauction.io but no results. Guessing prior owner fixed it and traded it in. Hard to say. Bought it sight unseen after facebook video walk-through as it is across the state from me. To keep my hopes in check Ill just assume a Cigar smoker owned it and let their cat live in it. Only changed the oil once since new. 

LT trim, luxury and tech package. Thing is as loaded as the 2500 can get. Even has a sunroof but I prefer it didnt. Wrong color combo black on tan. Carfax has lots of maintenance all at the same local mechanic shop near where it was bought new. 

Looking forward to a transmission that shifts better and more consistent. An engine without AFM or DOD. Not looking forward to the mileage. I do tow at times which is why I picked it. 

Seems like a good buy but you're losing a lot of tech that's in the newer trucks.
Still, seems decent.

• 1 month later...

Just an update so far. 

Engine and tranny mounts, spark plugs/wires, Fan clutch (e-fan conversion soon), trans fluid/filter, bilsteins and some cleaning. Driveshaft balance and u-joints soon. Removed door trim - Forgot how terrible this was on the GMT-900, but removed easy. Couldnt be happier so far. Not sure if I crossed 20k total so far all in. 

Things I miss - vented seats, bluetooth, gas mileage. So far averaging 15.5 to 16mpg as a DD. First cross country trip was 2k miles and we were near 17mpg for the trip. 

Things I dont miss - chevy shake, weird shifting, DI noises. 

Likely the last update unless anyone has questions. 

• Like 1