6.6 gas and Truck Camper

Is anyone using a new 6.6 gas to haul a truck camper?  If so, how does it handle the hills?  I've read nearly all of the towing posts but couldn't find anything on hauling a truck camper.  I plan on buying a truck camper that will have a wet weight of around 4,500 lbs.  I'm debating on new diesel or gas Denali DRW truck.  I used to have a 2019 High Country Duramax DRW but took advantage of the high resale value because I was not using the truck much.  The next truck I get will only be driven around 7,500 miles a year camping and local trips.  I loved the Duramax but I was getting nervous about potential costly repairs after warranty.  Based on my usage I'm leaning towards gas but don't want to have regrets.

I was looking at the Ford 7.3 gas but there's no way I'm going to settle for that terrible ride.  I test drove a couple of the Fords and the ride was hideous.  I've been a Chevy guy and have gotten use to the great ride it has so I plan to stick with GM.  

Thanks in advance.

I follow quite a few truck camper FB pages and forums and have not seen any issues with the new 6.6 gasser, however there aren't thousands of them out there yet hauling truck campers.  The gas 6.0 has proven to be a great camper hauler, so I'd assume the 6.6 is will also work great.  I've been carrying my 3,200 lb (loaded ready to camp) for 9 summers on my '12 GMC 2500 6.0 all over Alaska and then down the Alcan to Idaho where I live now, no issues what so ever.  I'd stay with a Chev/GMC myself also.

Based only on my 5th wheel towing experience, I believe the 6.6 gasser will easily handle your defined load with a 1 ton dually. I have no complaints towing 12k fiver with 3k in the bed of truck using a 20' 2500. I further agree that the Chevy easily rides better than the Ford and squats slightly less under load.

• Like 1

Thanks MORSNO!  I'm thinking about finding a good used 6.0 Drw, that might serve me well also based on your feedback.  I was checking Autotrader and unfortunately there aren't many gas hd trucks out there.  If I decide to go with a new gas Drw hd truck I might have to order one.  I've got a little time to decide, I'm planning on having another truck by next March hopefully.  Maybe all of these supply chain issues will be cleared up by then!

• Like 1

Thanks Ray!  I'm really leaning towards a gas truck for my needs and it's great to get your real world feedback.  I'm retiring in a few years so I want a solid and reliable drive train that won't add any costly unexpected repairs to my budget.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RyanCawdor said:

Thanks Ray!  I'm really leaning towards a gas truck for my needs and it's great to get your real world feedback.  I'm retiring in a few years so I want a solid and reliable drive train that won't add any costly unexpected repairs to my budget.

Gassers are much cheaper to maintain.  My '12 has never been back to the dealer or shop for anything, my only maintenance cost has been oil changes, air filter, battery, and tires.  And after 400,000-500,000 miles you can freshen it up with a brand new crate motor for less then a set of injectors in a diesel. 

I’m hauling a fairly light camper (2000 lbs) with my 3500 hd slt gas long bed and I love it.  Plenty of power. Quiet in the camping areas, no need for obnoxious extended loud idle, no stink, no DEF or DPF issues, no searching for diesel.    Basically the camper settles down the ride, and beyond that I don’t know it’s there.  It also pulls an 8000 lb boat up the ramp like it’s nothing. I have the camper springs up front, which are overkill for my load, but probably a good idea if your camper weight exceeds 3000. They are noticeably stiffer than the standard front springs, but not excessively stiff. 

I’m only at 1500 miles, but I’m getting 17.5 mpg empty and 14.5 with the camper on at 60 to 65 mph. The mileage drops to 13.5 by 70 mph. No problems climbing, though. It’ll climb as fast as you want to go. I’m very happy I did not get diesel. 

• Like 1

Thanks Another JR!  One of my biggest concerns living in Colorado is getting up I-70 with my truck camper loaded.  It looks like the 6.6 gas will work fine for my needs.  I only take a few trips a year now but that will increase after I retire in a few years.  I also like the fact of lowering the likelihood of an expensive repair and not having to deal with def, dpf, egr, nox sensors etc...  And the lower maintenance cost is great too!

Oh boy here we go... 

I'm glad you're happy with your Ford purchase and I'm happy for you.  But there's no way I can believe that based on my test drives.  I test drove all 3 brands of trucks recently and the Chevy had the best ride imo.  I'll stick with IFS and avoid the death wobble also.  To each his own and I'm glad you like your Ford and I'll stick with GM.  

20 hours ago, bshort said:

The Ford will ride better with the camper's load, especially if you get the camper package.  

Fords have so much frame flex you have additional issues to deal with just to get it safely under control.  There hasn't been a true "camper package" since the 70's with the extended wheel base model, now it's basically just wiring for the plug.

49 minutes ago, MORSNO said:

Fords have so much frame flex you have additional issues to deal with just to get it safely under control.  There hasn't been a true "camper package" since the 70's with the extended wheel base model, now it's basically just wiring for the plug.

Includes: ● Extra heavy-service front springs (4x2) (2 up upgrade above the spring computer selected as a consequence of options chosen. Not included if maximum springs have been computer selected as standard equipment) ● Heavy-service front springs (4x4) (1 up upgrade above the spring computer selected as a consequence of options chosen. Not included if maximum springs have been computer selected as standard equipment) ● Rear auxiliary springs (F-250 only; Std. on 350) ● Rear stabilizer bar (SRW only) ● Slide-in camper certification 

Only wiring?  

Here's GMC's version of a camper package: 

• Power feed to accommodate a backup and roof emergency light1
  • A single 220-amp alternator
  • Heavy-duty front springs
  • Under body skid plates to help protect the transfer case from debris
  • May require additional optional equipment

Which would you say is better for a slide-in camper?  That power feed and skid plates really help with a camper..  

Edited by bshort
Added

Lol.  That Furd camper package comes with death wobble and the worst ride quality of the big 3. Plus it might come with the 10 speed tranny recall also depending when you bought the new 7.3... You're not going to convince anybody Furd is better here.  But apparently you can't let it go.  Go enjoy your Furd!