In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Over the holiday weekend i received a speeding ticket. 96 in a 65 my question is has anyone used Chevrolet smart driver in there defense? my speed was  never  over 80 . And if you have used it how did it go.thx 

Posted (edited)

not going to work. Take your ticket like a man. And quit trying to get out of it, ITs good thing you didn't get put in jail for felony charges, IE reckless driving if you had a passenger then that's reckless endangerment, so on and so forth, You were doing wrong, Accept the consequences of your actions. Now go pay you fine and move on.

Edited by puppykat33
  • Thanks 1

also the smart driver app when i drive my Camaro says i never get over 80 as well, which i know is a lie. I think its an average speed per ignition cycle or some shyt. but it is deff not correct ever.

I had my first ticket in over 20 years last December. 10 over. Went to pay the fine and sign up for defensive driving. The judge happened to be there my wife was chatting with him. She new his father. He over heard me saying first one in 20 years and was just going with the flow. He deferred it and 30 days after it was like it never happened. Now I’m pissing people off by staying just 5 over max. The op is lucky. I hear in most case 30 over is a license loss. I’d send the money in and cross my fingers.

In some states, like Virginia, that's a felony reckless.  That could've been an impound on the scene, etc.  Virginia has a messed up law.  If you're 20 over the limit is reckless.  If you're doing 81 mph and up, regardless of the posted speed limit, that's a reckless.  Some freeways have a 70 mph posted limit. 

In other states it's just a speeding ticket, but the DMV will alert your insurance company.  Most states will tell your insurance company if you are more than 10 or 15 mph over the limit, but not until convicted.  Since you were accused of doing 31 over you may want to fight it, plead it down, or get a plea in abeyance.  In fact, whatever you say in court can be used against you for a conviction.  Admitting to speeding, but contesting the speed written on the ticket may l might help you get the penalty reduced.  The court gets its fees, and the officer is one ticket closer to fulfilling their weekly quota.  IANAL, but maybe the app will help.

However, the app is garbage.  Last week my 3 year old sustained a head injury.  She was vomiting, and trying to fall asleep.  While another family member was trying to keep her awake I drove as fast as I could to the hospital ER.  The app says the drive was 12 miles (no dispute there), that my average speed was 36 mph, and I was over 80 mph 22% of the time.  Truth is, I was bouncing off the speed limiter of 98 mph the majority of those 12 miles.  The app is definitely wrong.  Go ahead and criticize, but I'm faster and better trained than an ambulance driver, and experienced in high speed driving.  I even have the certifications and trophies to prove it.  Traffic wasn't that bad, and most people moved out of the left lane as I approached and flashed my lights.  Since my child's well-being was a factor, I'd have no problem doing it again.  Point is, even though the app says you never went over 80 mph, odds are you probably were doing 96 mph.  However, in the courtroom it's not what you know, but what you can prove.  The data in the app is something you can prove.  I say give it a try, but remember that IANAL.

Each state is different.  You just gotta know the rules you have to play by.  I got out of a bogus speeding ticket in Colorado once because the police officer couldn't prove his radar detector was calibrated correctly in the courtroom.  And, it was a bogus ticket.  This was before Chevy had an app.

Edited by Transient

6 hours ago, Transient said:

In some states, like Virginia, that's a felony reckless.  That could've been an impound on the scene, etc.  Virginia has a messed up law.  If you're 20 over the limit is reckless.  If you're doing 81 mph and up, regardless of the posted speed limit, that's a reckless.  Some freeways have a 70 mph posted limit. 

In other states it's just a speeding ticket, but the DMV will alert your insurance company.  Most states will tell your insurance company if you are more than 10 or 15 mph over the limit, but not until convicted.  Since you were accused of doing 31 over you may want to fight it, plead it down, or get a plea in abeyance.  In fact, whatever you say in court can be used against you for a conviction.  Admitting to speeding, but contesting the speed written on the ticket may l might help you get the penalty reduced.  The court gets its fees, and the officer is one ticket closer to fulfilling their weekly quota.  IANAL, but maybe the app will help.

However, the app is garbage.  Last week my 3 year old sustained a head injury.  She was vomiting, and trying to fall asleep.  While another family member was trying to keep her awake I drove as fast as I could to the hospital ER.  The app says the drive was 12 miles (no dispute there), that my average speed was 36 mph, and I was over 80 mph 22% of the time.  Truth is, I was bouncing off the speed limiter of 98 mph the majority of those 12 miles.  The app is definitely wrong.  Go ahead and criticize, but I'm faster and better trained than an ambulance driver, and experienced in high speed driving.  I even have the certifications and trophies to prove it.  Traffic wasn't that bad, and most people moved out of the left lane as I approached and flashed my lights.  Since my child's well-being was a factor, I'd have no problem doing it again.  Point is, even though the app says you never went over 80 mph, odds are you probably were doing 96 mph.  However, in the courtroom it's not what you know, but what you can prove.  The data in the app is something you can prove.  I say give it a try, but remember that IANAL.

Each state is different.  You just gotta know the rules you have to play by.  I got out of a bogus speeding ticket in Colorado once because the police officer couldn't prove his radar detector was calibrated correctly in the courtroom.  And, it was a bogus ticket.  This was before Chevy had an app.

Yep, there is a sign in VA along I-95 about going over 80mph is careless and reckless.

I do know that if you are from PA and get an out of state ticket that it will not show up on your license. At least that was the way it used to be.  Not sure now since I have been out of PA for 35yrs.  But I got three tickets all in different states and it never showed up on my PA license.  This was when the speed limit was still 55mph. Being in the Air Force I didn't have to get a new PA license until I retired and became an NC resident.

Like KARNUT, I just keep it at 5 over. 

51 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Yep, there is a sign in VA along I-95 about going over 80mph is careless and reckless.

I do know that if you are from PA and get an out of state ticket that it will not show up on your license. At least that was the way it used to be.  Not sure now since I have been out of PA for 35yrs.  But I got three tickets all in different states and it never showed up on my PA license.  This was when the speed limit was still 55mph. Being in the Air Force I didn't have to get a new PA license until I retired and became an NC resident.

And I stay to the right except to pas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Use to be that way.  No longer is.  Last time I looked into it only 2 states didn't share driving violation info.  One was Tennessee.  I can't recall the other.

I'm not from PA, but my wife was stationed there not too long ago for 2 years.  I'm a veteran of the Marine Corps, but she's active Navy.  Met her in a blind date after being medically retired.  A few years later we're married. A few years after that she decided to join the Navy.  Now part of her job is training Air Force how to do their job. 

Since the end of 2012 military spouses have enjoyed many of the same privileges as active duty military.  My license expired in 2013, but the dependent military ID keeps it valid.

My wife has been stationed in Virginia twice in her career.  I found out about the speeding law the hard way.  Got cutoff in morning rush hour traffic, and forced out of my lane.  Fortunately, there was on ramp lane in my left from another freeway.  The only spot I could see where I could fit back into traffic was deferral cars ahead, and my lane was going to end soon.  I dropped a great, floored it, and let the supercharger scream so I could make the move.  As I'm zipping to that spot I speed right by a state police officer hiding in the trees in the median at over 80mph.  He rightfully pulled me over.  I was respectful, so he didn't impound my car.  I got a ticket, and went to court.  Judge was good to me.  I agreed to a plea in abeyance and court costs.  As long as I behaved myself for 6 months the verdict would change to not guilt and nothing would show up on my record.  That was over a decade ago.  I've been puked over since (Wyoming story above), but haven't had to deal with a ticket. 

With all the advances in technology you can't hide from the gov'nt.  The states all share everything because; 1: They want every tax $ they can get. and 2: They want to catch criminals.