In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

So, I have been fighting the intermittent flashing CEL since the day I got this truck 4 months ago.

After multiple visits to the dealer, they finally got an engineer in and diagnosed a bad timing wheel (???) and replaced the engine at 1600 miles. 

Light came back at 1755 miles. Was told there would be a software update to fix. Left on a 3000 mile trip towing a camper. No issues on trip. Get back and the flashing CEL returns. 5341 miles. 5462 miles, 5480 miles and then goes solid. That was last week (06 July). Drive right to dealer and they update the software (supposedly a recall for the performance air intake). 

Now today, 8 days later, the CEL starts flashing again twice. 5774 miles and 5788 miles. 

Called the GM corporate folks who I had been in contact with. According to them, need to go back to the dealer since "issue is reported as fixed". 🤬

Submitted dispute to BBB per FL Attorney General. Done with this truck. Want my money back so I can break my 30+ year streak of being loyal to Chevrolet and go buy a Ford Super Duty.

My Good Friend and a excavating Contractor has a Super Duty (Mode here in Louisville by the way) .. He would totally Disagree with you on buying one. Not all Dealerships are Equal. It might be time to find another one. as well as if its been in the shop that many times for the same issue you could have legal rights and remedies. 

All Manufactures make bad ones sometimes. We  never hear about the good ones Like my Silverado which is Flawless at 5600 miles .

Good Luck 

• Thanks 1

This is the factory performance intake. It is stock. There is no "return to stock" since it was delivered this way.

The first service advisor I dealt with told me that the CEL was caused by the cold air intake. I informed him that it was factory and find me someone who know what GM installs on their vehicles.

I was just wondering since GM has been updating the software as you say "a recall for the performance air filter software update" they are having problems with it. If it was "stock" it wouldn't be called a performance air intake.

I was just trying to help. I have no check engine light. I have a stock air intake not a performance.. You do and you said GM has updated the software for the performance air intake. That means their having problems with it. If performance air intake are perfect and never cause problems why the hell doesn't GM install it on all trucks and boost their HP and tourqe numbers?Again your ready to dump your truck and are done with GM. Just thought trying a regular or stock intake before things like replacing the motor, and being done with gm and buying a ford. Sorry for trying to help.

And the code that is setting off the check engine light would be helpfull.

Edited by Adamace1
Posted (edited)

Usually, it has been a flashing CEL that lasts up to 1-2 minutes. Flashing CEL indicates a misfire condition. The three times that CEL latched solid was a a P0300 code which is Random/Multiple Cylinders Misfire.

I have owned this truck since 3/15/2021. That is 122 days.

I have been to the dealer 6 times where I spent all day there off work. 6 days out of service.

They had it one time for 9 days troubleshooting.

They also had it for 37 days while waiting for engineer to come diagnose the issue and then waiting for/installing replacement engine.

So, 6+9+28=43 days out of service. 43/122 = 35.2% of the time I have owned this truck it has been in the dealer's service department.🤬

The "performance air intake" is stock since it is a GM (dealer) installed regular production option. Truck was ordered with the option. 

Edited by Stephen Gaze
5 hours ago, Adamace1 said:

I was just wondering since GM has been updating the software as you say "a recall for the performance air filter software update" they are having problems with it. If it was "stock" it wouldn't be called a performance air intake.

I was just trying to help. I have no check engine light. I have a stock air intake not a performance.. You do and you said GM has updated the software for the performance air intake. That means their having problems with it. If performance air intake are perfect and never cause problems why the hell doesn't GM install it on all trucks and boost their HP and tourqe numbers?Again your ready to dump your truck and are done with GM. Just thought trying a regular or stock intake before things like replacing the motor, and being done with gm and buying a ford. Sorry for trying to help.

And the code that is setting off the check engine light would be helpfull.

Some performance intakes installed by dealers did not have the ECM update performed at the time of installation (it's an integral part of the installation) as it should have been, which I believe is the update the OP was referring to.  Without this update, some people have experienced issues, to include the CEL lighting up, but it's not because GM was trying to fix a problem with the performance intake.  I imagine the reason the performance intake is not installed as standard equipment is because it allows GM to charge more for the add-on, as is the case with the performance exhaust systems.  It's also slightly louder than the stock intake, and some people might not want that extra noise.  Personally, I like the way it looks, sounds, and in conjunction with the performance exhaust has provided 10,000 miles of trouble free service in my truck.

19 hours ago, Stephen Gaze said:

Well, back at the dealer this AM, let’s see what they say.

BTW, loved Anacortes. Spent 12 years (1992-2004) at NAS Whidbey.

That's something my wife will never get to say.  She PCS's every 3 years.  She's a Naval Pediatric Advanced Practice Nurse. 

Btw, I've had the GM Performance CAI and exhaust on my truck since week 1 of ownership.  Over 15,000 miles and 12 months later, no issues to date.  Trail Boss LT 6.2.

I wonder if the dealer did the software update when the installed the performance intake.

Apparently, enough of them overlooked that step that notice/bulletin was created. 

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14771

GM Accessory Cold Air Intake System Requires Calibration

May 17, 2021

The Chevrolet Performance, GMC and Cadillac Cold Air Intake System (RPO 5W7, RVK) available on 2021 Camaro, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon and Escalade models equipped with the 5.3L V8 engine (RPO L84), 6.2L V8 engine (RPO L87) or 6.2L V8 engine (RPO LT1) should only be installed on vehicles that were ordered with the RPO/LPO (dealer installed) option. (Fig. 17) The Cold Air Intake System requires a calibration from the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC), which is not available for vehicles without the proper RPO/LPO 5W7 or RVK option.

F17-performance-air-intake-.pngFig. 17

The Cold Air Intake System is a Limited Production Option (LPO) that can be ordered with the vehicle at the time of purchase. It is not to be installed or sold as an Accessory Catalog Offering (ACO), or over-the-counter accessory, as the calibration is not available for ACO applications. If installed on an incorrect vehicle, the Check Engine MIL may illuminate and DTCs P0172 (Fuel Trim System Rich) and P0175 (Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2) may set.

Calibrations for GM Accessories

GM Accessories that require updated calibrations must have the calibrations installed to ensure proper operation of the new accessory components as well as other related vehicle systems, whether it’s an air intake system that includes an ECM update, a front grill package that involves front camera operation, or larger wheels and tires that impact the operation of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems on the vehicle. Calibration updates that are not performed following the installation of an accessory may not only limit system performance, but may also leave the vehicle non-compliant with regional government regulations.

TIP: If programming is attempted before contacting TCSC when installing accessories that require an updated calibration, the Service Programming System (SPS) will not deliver the correct accessory calibration to the vehicle. SPS may display a message advising users that they are attempting to program with the “same calibration” — a warning that the vehicle has not received the required accessory calibration.

Installation Information

Installation sheets for GM Accessories can be found in the Accessories Manuals in the Service Information. If the procedures are updated or improvements are made, checking the instructions with each installation will ensure the latest information is being followed.

To locate the instructions, select the year, make and model of the vehicle from the dropdown menus. Next, from the Publication page, select the Accessories Manual link. (Fig 18)

F18-acc-3.pngFig. 18

Installation Questions

The following sources are available to help dealerships with any questions on GM Accessories.

Accessory Distributor Installer (U.S.) – Contact your local ADI if your dealership has a question or concern related to Limited Production Option (LPO) parts.

Partech – Questions regarding accessory installation sheets, missing kit components, quality issues, and vehicle compatibility can be directed to Partech at 1-855-GMCARES (1-855-462-2737), select prompt 2.

Techline Customer Support Center – Contact TCSC for programming concerns with GM Accessories.

Technical Assistance Center – Questions about the installation of the accessory or help with diagnosing problems related to the installation should be directed to TAC.

For more information, refer to #PIP5805.

And then there is this new one about 'misfires'.  

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=15026

Engine Misfire Detected without Drivability Concerns

July 16, 2021

An engine misfire DTC may be set on some 2020-2021 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 models equipped with the 5.3L V8 engine (RPO L84). However, the misfire may not be noticed by the driver or the vehicle may not have any drivability concerns. The Check Engine MIL may be illuminated (Fig. 😎 or may have been flashing while driving up a long grade or a smooth road with steady throttle input. DTC P0300 (Engine Misfire Detected) may be set as active or history in the Engine Control Module (ECM).

F08-check-engine-2.pngFig. 8

The detected misfire condition may be the result of the P0300 diagnostic falsely setting the DTC under certain driving conditions. GDS2 data may show misfires being recorded on any cylinder, but they may be more noticeable on cylinders 1 and 6.

To address the detected misfire condition, an updated calibration has been released. Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration and perform the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure. Do not replace any parts for the condition.

TIP: To avoid warranty transaction rejections, the warranty claim code provided on the SPS Warranty Claim Code (WCC) screen must be recorded on the job card (repair order).

The updated calibration does not address any true engine misfire. It only updates the P0300 diagnostic in the ECM. If the engine is actually misfiring, refer to the appropriate Service Information for additional diagnostic information.

Once the calibration has been updated, drive the vehicle and verify the DTC does not set.

Crankshaft Position Variation Learn Procedure

The Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure must be performed or the updated calibration will not provide the desired results.

The crankshaft position sensor variation or reluctor ring learn is used to calculate reference period errors caused by slight tolerance variations in the crankshaft and the crankshaft position sensor. The calculated error allows the ECM to accurately compensate for reference period variations, which enhances the ability of the ECM to detect misfire events over a wider range of engine speed and load. The compensation values are stored in ECM memory after a learn procedure has been performed.

For additional information, refer to Bulletin #21-NA-154.

My truck had this flashing CEL condition once (that I've noticed at around 2000 miles).  I've had the truck since March 30, 2021 new.  Truck has 3600 on it now and have not noticed it again.  It's 5.3L bone stock.  Interested to see what the ultimate diagnosis is.