In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hi, i wanted to ask how reliable are these new engines ? I have been thinking about buying a TB with 6.2 , i hear alot about bent pushrods / failed lifters , but here in kuwait i asked a trusted person who is very close to the dealer and said that since 2019 only 5 persons out of thousands of people who bought 2019-2021 sierra/silverado/tahoe/yukon/escalade had any issues with the engine so far , so i am wondering is it a problem i should be concerned for or not , thanks 

Imo, it's not problem to be overly concerned about.  GM will make it right.  And, the 6.2 is a very old engine design based on the 5.3 that's been in GM trucks 20 to 30 years. 

I haven't heard about failed lifters in the 6.2 (feel like that is the 5.3???) but not saying that this isn't an issue with them as well.

Transient is correct.  It's not a "new" motor; it has been available for a number in years for the more premium lineup.  Nowwwwww, that being said....  I do have to say that there was a bad batch of valve springs during the height of Covid.  My engine went from a tick to a bang in about 30 seconds.  Spring let loose and scored the cylinder wall, requiring a new engine.

Keep in mind that there are 100s of thousands that did NOT have the issue, so I would consider it fairly rare.

4 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I haven't heard about failed lifters in the 6.2 (feel like that is the 5.3???) but not saying that this isn't an issue with them as well.

Transient is correct.  It's not a "new" motor; it has been available for a number in years for the more premium lineup.  Nowwwwww, that being said....  I do have to say that there was a bad batch of valve springs during the height of Covid.  My engine went from a tick to a bang in about 30 seconds.  Spring let loose and scored the cylinder wall, requiring a new engine.

Keep in mind that there are 100s of thousands that did NOT have the issue, so I would consider it fairly rare.

With what Rob said about the bad valve springs, that was for trucks built between June 2020 and, if I recall correctly, October 2020.  My truck was built in the time frame.  I have the 6.2 under my hood.  I'm about to cross 16,000 miles on the odometer.  No issues so far, and I've driven it across the country, literally from the Atlantic to the Pacific and just about every bit of elevation between from below sea level to over 7,000 feet above sea level, mostly on road with some offroading too.  I'd definitely buy this truck with the same engine again. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 1:09 AM, Transient said:

With what Rob said about the bad valve springs, that was for trucks built between June 2020 and, if I recall correctly, October 2020.  My truck was built in the time frame.  I have the 6.2 under my hood.  I'm about to cross 16,000 miles on the odometer.  No issues so far, and I've driven it across the country, literally from the Atlantic to the Pacific and just about every bit of elevation between from below sea level to over 7,000 feet above sea level, mostly on road with some offroading too.  I'd definitely buy this truck with the same engine again. 

Just curious what you're getting for mileage out of the 6.2? 

Getting 18 to 22 mixed driving, I did hit 24 on a 300 mile highway run. About 13 towing a 6500lb load. Very happy wit it.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:10 PM, d9gdon said:

Just curious what you're getting for mileage out of the 6.2? 

I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab Z-71 6.2l with 7000 miles on the clock. I average 13-16 around the city. Highway I get 18-22 depending on how heavy my right foot is. But on two road trips of around 400 miles each trip. I averaged 24.76 mpg. 90% of the trip was highway driving. Cruise control at 67 with the ac blasting. Amazing fuel economy for something so big and heavy. 

I believe all motors are very reliable. Roll of the dice. You can always get a bad one. Proper maintenance prolongs longevity. 

• Like 1

Likely over 1 million vehicles have the modern (2014+) 6.2L engine for the past 7 yrs . It is an excellent engine. Like anything, it can be misused and misrepresented and blamed for things that are not its fault.  

Don't trust everything you read on the internet as 100% fact.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to open old topic.  Just curious as to what fuel octane you current owners of the 6.2 are using?  Any issues using anything lower than the “highly recommended” 93 octane?  

Thanks, 

Gerry

I run 93 whenever possible in my 21 sierra 1500 at4 6.2. I did notice some pinging and lag when running lower grade fuel. Every few tanks I even throw in the lucas octane boost with the 93 fuel.....and that wakes her up nice!!

Edited by Liquid Plumber AT4
3 hours ago, GodFather said:

Sorry to open old topic.  Just curious as to what fuel octane you current owners of the 6.2 are using?  Any issues using anything lower than the “highly recommended” 93 octane?  

Thanks, 

Gerry

Do you plan on keeping it till it rots to the ground?  Run 93.  If it's a lease or otherwise turned over in 4 years or so?  Do as you wish.

While running reg or mid etc will be "ok" for awhile, it will bring more wear.  Some may disagree and that's OK to be wrong.  I know GM says it can be done but I've heard nothing but issues with pinging.  Even in the slightest.. say.. imperceptible to the ear, it does create a longevity issue.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:55 AM, elcamino said:

Don't trust everything you read on the internet as 100% fact.

WTH, where did you hear this lie, from TV or the government????? 

• Like 1

2020 trailboss 6.2 here 11k on the clock of flawless miles. Mines a 7-20 build too which was some of the noted problem months where could have been bad valve springs but no issues here so far. Fingers crossed. Scary part is my 2015 6.2 broke a spring at 60k but no motor damage.