In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Clear protective coating on paint @ front of rear tire -issues

On 7/30/2021 at 3:30 PM, luke1333 said:

Do you drive down gravel roads? Not sure how rock chips is GM's problem, boy people get dumber everyday

Wow, thanks for the great reply. You really added to this discussion!

Everyone I know that owns a 2019+ Chevy or GMC ( 8 different people) have had more rock chips than the previous ones they have owned. My 18 Silverado work truck has fewer rock chips at 85000 miles, at least 1/4 on gravel roads, than my 19 Denali had after 700 miles of which about 50 were gravel. Even my dealer has said they have heard more complaints then previous models. 

I have Expel on the whole hood, roof, windshield posts, entire front end, door pocket areas and around the wheel wells on my 2020 1500 custom.  I'm not an off roader, but so far I have virtually no chips anywhere after several road trips.  It's  pretty expensive but worth the money to me.

New Truck.jpg

Edited by Mac-427

add me to the list of a previous owner who's paint on my 2020 Silverado is crap, I had a 2008 with over 160k miles with less chips on the front than this one had at 10,000 miles.....and it is a complete pavement princess...

Edited by rmacdona

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

I had my film done by a reputable company in my area with Xpel film and you cant even tell its on that rock guard area.....its just as smooth as on the regular paint. I'll get some pictures when I get the truck back this week from getting it ceramic coated and then it's gotta go to the gmc body shop for a bed alignment....sticks out overd a half inch on passenger side by the cab and the bed lines and the door lines are not level. Check yours out to.....there's a gmc bulletin for it.

I found a local place that used the Xpel film and just got it done today. They were able to put it over the rock guard area and looks great, no bubbles. With the addition of Gatorback mudflaps hopefully won't have an issue anymore.

Liquid Plumber AT4, thanks for the heads up on the Xpel film

The paint on these trucks are not only extremely thin, but also brittle.

I have wide steps on my 14 and the area looks like the op's here, of course i have 8 years now of driving in the winter. Mud flaps and boards will help some but the expel treatment is really the only way to truly protect the paint. I wish i had done mine now but to those that are cheap don't bother looking because a true pro application of expel will run near the price of painting it, you either pay the cost for the protection or you will get chips. There is no inbetween with a GM and how terrible their paint jobs are today imo.

13 hours ago, wurgs said:

I found a local place that used the Xpel film and just got it done today. They were able to put it over the rock guard area and looks great, no bubbles. With the addition of Gatorback mudflaps hopefully won't have an issue anymore.

Liquid Plumber AT4, thanks for the heads up on the Xpel film

Your welcome,  XPEL is the best film in my opinion. My guy guaranteed no bubbles on rock guard paint and he was right. Glad I could help.

How do you like those gator guard flaps? Are they east to install? Any pictures of them on your truck?

Thanks 

8 hours ago, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Your welcome,  XPEL is the best film in my opinion. My guy guaranteed no bubbles on rock guard paint and he was right. Glad I could help.

How do you like those gator guard flaps? Are they east to install? Any pictures of them on your truck?

Thanks 

I love the Gatorbacks although kinda spendy. Pretty easy to install, took maybe 1 1/2 hours taking my time, took rear tires off to make it easier. Not the best but here's a couple pics

20210818_185847.jpg

20210818_185854.jpg

7 hours ago, bdallas said:

What's the ballpark cost to get XPEL PPF, if I may ask, and for how much coverage?

I paid 500 for the sides only, already had the front end done before. Mine covers the bottom 1/3 or so of the truck. They did an outstanding job, looks great with no bubbles.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bdallas said:

What's the ballpark cost to get XPEL PPF, if I may ask, and for how much coverage?

2 hours ago, wurgs said:

I paid 500 for the sides only, already had the front end done before. Mine covers the bottom 1/3 or so of the truck. They did an outstanding job, looks great with no bubbles.

9 hours ago, bdallas said:

I did the performance package and full rear bumper and was $2500  with 10 year warranty. That included the black window pillars and the front and back door sills also. They went all the way up to the bottom door line along the whole sides of the truck.

Screenshot_20210818-230716_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-230736_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Liquid Plumber AT4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wurgs said:

I love the Gatorbacks although kinda spendy. Pretty easy to install, took maybe 1 1/2 hours taking my time, took rear tires off to make it easier. Not the best but here's a couple pics

20210818_185847.jpg

20210818_185854.jpg

Thank you, they look great. I'm rubbing slightly  in the front with my toyo at3 285/60R20 tires on the GMC accessories wider front mud guards I put on and wondering if these gator flaps might be better. 

It might actually rub more. Gatorbacks bolt onto wheel well so leaves less room between tire and wheel well. My Denali I used to have rubbed with Gatorbacks but not with the GM mudflaps.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased a black 2019 GMC Canyon with only 18k miles on it. When my wife and I looked at it at the dealership is was dirty so the blisters/chips on both sides in front of the rear tires didn't stand out. They detailed it and replaced a cracked windshield and delivered it to our house while we were at work. Needless to say I am pissed. I understand normal wear and tear but this is a design issue. It's a truck! It should be built to withstand/handle minor rocks and debris. GMC (like most brands these days) should be ashamed of themselves! They make it look good for the showroom. They obviously didn't engineer it to last! I see this is a surprise problem for a lot of GMC truck buyers. When I chose GMC I thought I was getting a better quality truck. Boy was I wrong. I am so disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn’t help this situation, but my 2019 F150 had really thin paint as well.  I had lots of chips and some of the chips even led to more paint peeling on on my grill.  Not just a GM issue - I’d guess some fault probably lies with paint formulation changes due to emissions, maybe even using thinner coats for weight savings/mpg, etc.